Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

Default Binge

I cant stop eating. Ugh. Im always way over my calories for the day. HELP
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/178/140

Height: 5 foot 5 inches

Find ways to indulge your cravings with low calorie foods. I just posted a thread for people to post there favorite low cal snacks and meals recipes. I like potato chips so I posted a recipe for kale chips they are really good but way healthier. I was also told foods high in fiber help to keep you full longer. The kellogs fiber bars have 120 calories and they are good for a sweet tooth and will help hold you over until a meal. Try using loseit.com it is a site that you can track every little bit you put in your mouth as well as all your exercise and it will graph it for you so you can see what meal you are intakeing more calories at and you can work on adjusting it. Good luck I know it is slow going sometimes!
Sonjae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #3  

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

I love Fitday.com it's almost the same.
Iianae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Well if you know you are over your calories and you know you have to stop then I'm not sure what advise you want. Why are you doing it? Are you addicted to food? Are you experiencing an emotional crisis and you are using food to avoid your problems? Are you ravenously hungry or are you bored and you just want to eat? It's kinda hard to give you advice when all you say is that you just can't stop eating. You can. No one is shoving it down your throat.

Last edited by niafabo; 04-05-2011 at 12:03 PM.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #6  

im addicted to food and im bored. I cant seem to ever stick to any diet and when i try to calorie count i overeat. my motivation is nowhere to be found
Old 04-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

How many calories are you aiming for a day? Sounds like you might just be eating too little.

Also what are you eating in a day? Mind posting up a daily menu?
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #8  
Fat Chick on a Mission

S/C/G: 216/ticker/150

Height: 5ft 3in

Quote:
Originally Posted by niafabo View Post
It's kinda hard to give you advice when all you say is that you just can't stop eating. You can. No one is shoving it down your throat.
Jeesh. Harsh much? None of us got to be a fat chick in the first place by picking at vegetables all day, or having willpower of steel ya know. She's down and asking for support from her peers. A quip like that is just hurtful, and since you have been here yourself you should already know that.

Breanna-

Honey we have all been there. That exact feeling of being out of control, feeling like the changes you need to make are too hard, the guilt when you slip that leads to more slips....you certainly are not alone.

Food is a tougher addiction than some can understand. Not to belittle other problems.....but it's not like alcohol or drugs or gambling, in that you can physically take yourself away from the temptations. You don't have to gamble or drink to live- we can't just avoid food.

I have 4 people living in my home that are definitely not on a diet. I have to look at chips and twinkies every time I open up my cupboards to get something to eat. I've had people tell me that it's as simple as just keeping that stuff out of the house because it isn't healthy anyway....but in real life it just doesn't work that way. No one else here has my problem-and I can't force everyone else to never have a treat because I have an issue with self-control.

I have lost this weight many times over and I'm hoping that I have finally found something I can stick with, but I am the last person that can feel entitled to lecture anyone. I can, however, tell you what works for me...and I think that's what you're asking for.

I am addicted to food, sweets in particular. I cannot maintain a loss if it means restricting anything permanently. I will deprive myself right into obsession and end up right back with the mentality you are describing. I have PCOS so I can gain like nobody's business.

I think the trick to getting down the right path is to learn to recognize your weaknesses and work with them. I love junk. If I tell myself I can never have it again it only calls to me all the more.

Make a plan with some structure and accountability. Write down every morsel that finds it's way into your body. Find healthier substitutes for the things you love and reasonably work them into your plan rather than trying to eliminate them altogether.

Know ahead of time what you are going to allot yourself in the course of a day and plan it ahead of time. I know I am allowing myself x amount of points in a day. If I go overboard in the morning, I know that I have to stretch out the rest of my points so that I don't go over. I don't tell myself that I can't have chocolate-I have some every day-but instead of a candy bar I have a fiber one or sugarfree pudding cup, and I have it in the evening while I'm watching tv (when I know the craving will hit).

I think most of us need the structure of some kind of plan, even if it is as simple as calorie counting. No one makes it through without ever slipping. When you have a bad day, forget about it and move on. Give yourself something to do as a substitute for reaction to your triggers....for example, when I feel like I am about to do something that will throw me off track, I make myself come to this site and just read. It takes my mind off the trigger, reminds me that I'm not struggling alone, and helps me keep feeling inspired when I see all the successes.

If you have some more specific problems that you need suggestions for-don't hesitate to post! Most people here are helpful and supportive and plenty have been right in your shoes. The most important thing is that you don't ever give up!!!
dragonlady1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #9  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjae View Post
Find ways to indulge your cravings with low calorie foods. I just posted a thread for people to post there favorite low cal snacks and meals recipes. I like potato chips so I posted a recipe for kale chips they are really good but way healthier. I was also told foods high in fiber help to keep you full longer. The kellogs fiber bars have 120 calories and they are good for a sweet tooth and will help hold you over until a meal.
Here is where we can see how different each of us can be in our journey. Low calorie snacks and things like kellogs bars do nothing for me. I need real foods with some fat, protein and carbs.

For the OP, it would help if you told us what you are eating, your activity level and why you are bored?
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Do you exercise or go to a Gym? When I first started it was so hardto get any exercise in that I wouldn't want to ruin my hardwork with food.

can you try to drink something? This afternoon I made the yummiest cup of coffee with a Splenda Mocha Flavor packet. It is so rich and yummy and filling my belly to get me until 2:00 when I wanted to eat. Sometimes I also drink Crystal Light. They are such vibrant flavors- they tend to help get me past a moment where I want to put something in my mouth.

Try to find something to get you through...it is so worth it and you are too!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #11  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlady1978 View Post
Jeesh. Harsh much? None of us got to be a fat chick in the first place by picking at vegetables all day, or having willpower of steel ya know. She's down and asking for support from her peers. A quip like that is just hurtful, and since you have been here yourself you should already know that.
I read it as being matter of fact, and she's right. I used all those excuses and I ended up back here, over 270 pounds.

If you're bored, go for a walk. Drink a glass of water. Play a video or computer game. Volunteer. Clean your bathroom. Wash your windows. DO something.

At some point, we do have to take personal responsibility. We all know what we need to do to break our bad habits. It's a matter of DOING it. That's why we're all here.

A true friend tells you what you need to hear, not just what you want to hear.
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

When you say you "can't stop" eating, you take all of your power away. It is not easy, but you CAN stop overeating. Pick a plan, any healthy, well-balanced plan out there, or make your own plan, and commit yourself to doing it for X amount of days, and then stick to it. Start small. The first two days are the hardest for me. So, say okay for the next 7 days, I am going to eat X amount of calories, drink X amount of water, and do X amount of activity, then do it because you CAN.

The tip about the exercise is a good one. If I burn 250 calories running 2 miles, the last thing I want to do is have a handful of chips and negate my 24 minutes of sweating.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlady1978 View Post
Jeesh. Harsh much? None of us got to be a fat chick in the first place by picking at vegetables all day, or having willpower of steel ya know.
I wouldn't call it harsh. I would call it direct. Some people need the direct approach, those people usually also use the direct approach. I would certainly think it less harmful than the advice that it sounds like she is eating too little when she just got done saying she can't stop eating. What about that says she is eating too little?

Last edited by aimeebell; 04-05-2011 at 01:31 PM.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 209/160/145

Height: 5'1"

Well, you live in Parkland (I'm from Coral Springs ), so go to the nearest Fresh Market, and decide to buy all of your groceries there for the duration of your diet. It's so ridiculously overpriced, you'll buy less, it'll be of a better quality anyway, and you won't eat it all right away because you won't want to blow through a week's worth of grocery money.

I know, everyone else's suggestions were much better, but sometimes you have to do crazy things in the name of success :P.
doopdoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 189/178/140

Height: 5 foot 5 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonsBaby View Post
Here is where we can see how different each of us can be in our journey. Low calorie snacks and things like kellogs bars do nothing for me. I need real foods with some fat, protein and carbs.
She is very right what works for one may not work for another. You do have to find what works best for you and don't beat yourself up if you fall off a little bit. Just jump back on and start where you left off. If falling off makes you spiral, create a plan that allows for a small amount of indulgence. For example if your calorie intake should be 1800 a day then for 2 days of the week (like Wed and Sat, so you don't feel like you are waiting forever between each day) allow for an extra 200 calories only if you do an extra 20 mins of exercise on those days. So now you have motivation to exercise and a little wiggle room for falling off. And when I say low calorie snacks I don't mean 100 calorie packs those things are terrible they just make you want more and they don't taste that great. Come up with your own or find recipes online.
As for low cal meals...I still eat all the things I love I just changed the recipes to be more healthy. For tacos I use lean ground turkey, whole grain tortillas, low fat sour cream, low fat cheese, and spinach(it does have more cal then iceburg but it has better nutrients and is more filling). I replaced all white breads and pastas with whole wheat and all ground beef with ground turkey. Thats just a couple examples. I realize I didn't give much by way of examples or explanation.
The best way I found for me was to change most of what I eat into healthier foods then reduced my calorie intake. If you reduce your calorie intake and you are still eating really unhealthy meals then your overall success will be less and you are more likly to fall off. unhealthy foods have higher calories and keep you full for less time and that ends up making you hungry faster and it takes less for to reach your calorie intake.

3 tacos the way I use to eat them 970 calories
3 the way I eat them now is 670 calories and if you want them to be even lower in calories place it in a bowl on top of a bunch of spinach and you can save 250 calories
I hope that helps a little more then my last post!

Last edited by Sonjae; 04-05-2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: correction
Sonjae is offline   Reply With Quote