Old 03-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 224/212/140

Default Need a low carb buddy

Hi there,

I sure could use a low carb buddy. I'm on day 3 of low carbing it. Sort of doing my own plan. Wanted to do Paleo, but I'm just not ready. I'm doing no sugar and no grains. I'm primarily eating animal protein, lots of veggies, very little fruit (like a handful of berries every few days), full fat dairy in moderation, nuts and seeds. I am finding some great recipes online to make some of my comfort foods in a low carb way (e.g., using flaxmeal or coconut/almond flour instead of wheat and truvia instead of sugar).

Regardless of your plan, I'd love to have someone to share this journey with.

Thanks,
Ann
Ann72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/204.6/140

Height: 5'2"

I'm doing the same thing...no specific plan, just low carbing it and eating healthy.
pattypaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #3  

Hi Ann72 and pattypaw, I would love to be a low carb buddy! I am going in fits and starts with protein, veggies, moderate fats. I am actually using the ediets to go low carb delivery and it works when I work it. It would be great to have some accountability. I have not been here to the site in a while but saw your post so thought it would be a good time to return and get serious!
Elstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #4  

Lets all be buddies and get serious together! I definately need a buddy........
Old 03-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #5  

Thanks for your replies. So glad to have some others who are going through the same types of things. Low carb living definitely has its ups and downs. Are you two just getting started with low carbing, or have you been doing it a while? Are you exercising too? What kind of weight loss goals do you have (short term/long term)?

I am only on day 3, and so far so good. I'm not exercising just yet because I just hurt my foot (and I want to concentrate on food this week), but I'm hoping to at least get on the bike for a bit starting next week. As for goals, I think I'm just going to take it 10 lbs at a time and treat myself with something nice each time. Ultimately, i would love to lose about 80lbs, which sounds like so much.

Take care.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:23 AM   #6  

I've been doing it about a month now. I do so good all week but i have to admit i'm terrible on the weekends and i'm working on that. I have 6 kids at home and on the weekends it seems like i'm always feeding somebody and i'll have a bite here and a bite there. Most of the time its not even bad food but i know that sometimes too much "good" food adds up the calories. I generally don't buy junk food anymore and my family is slowly getting used to eating healthier. So one of my april goals is to stay on plan on the weekends!
My long term goal is too lose about 70 lbs, short term, like you, i'm working on 10 lbs at a time.
As for exercise, i need to do it more! My mind gets all excited and has a plan of working out 5 times a week, my body doesn't follow along. I do it about 3 times a week. I bought a few Leslie Sansone videos and a few richard simmons videos (my kids laugh at me, but i love richard simmons!) I also have exercise on demand through my cable company. I like to walk so as soon as the weather gets nicer (soon i hope, but i live in buffalo) i plan on packing up my 2 yr old and going out walking in the mornings after the rest of the kids go to school.
Ann, take care of your foot and i hope it feels better soon! Healthy eating and happy exercising to us!!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:27 AM   #7  

Default low carbing again, it's been a while......

Hi All

I am low carbing again, after doing WW for a long time. I have been successful on that, but for some reason, I just have not been able to stick to my usual routine. Also, I have been tired, I think going too heavy on the carbs and not enough protein.

Anyway, have started eating differently, (I refuse to use the "D" word!) and am feeling better by doing so. For my phase 1, I have eliminated all potatoes, pasta, bread, rice. Eating protein-meat, chicken, fish, eggs, cheese, some dairy - Greek yogurt. adding some good oils, and any veggies except obviously starchy ones, and no fruit at this point. I will add berries and melon back in a week or 2. Feel pretty good after only several days of this.

And, of course, with good weather almost back, get into my walking routine again. This whole thing almost sounds pleasurable!!! LOL

Once I reach my good weight - about 140lbs - I will start to add back some whole grains.

I could use some good snack ideas and support and humor along the way! It seems like we are all of a sudden on the same track with this. Interesting! I think I am just over all the plans, books, rules, etc!!!!!

Thanks for listening and look forward to your insights and suggestions!
celtica98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:02 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 278/209/199

Height: 5'9"

Hi...I am new to this. I am doing low carb my own way as well. Been going about 3 weeks now. I have cut out bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, sugar, all starches. I do a 1hr kickboxing class on Mon and Sat. I do a 1 or 2 mile walk with Leslie Sansome videos all other days except Sunday. I have lost about 6 lbs so far. My 1st goal is to lose 25 lbs. Long term goal is to lose about 60 lbs. Last time I went low carb the weight came off alot quicker. I guess it doesnt work as well the 2nd time around, LOL! But I am still determined to get this weight off once and for all. I'm hoping that joining this group will help keep me motivated.
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:33 PM   #9  

Hi again,

Sounds like so many of us are on a similar plan. It'll be wonderful to share recipes, ideas, and tips and to keep each other motivated. How's everyone doing today? I stayed on plan, but I'm a little under the weather and sick with bronchitis. I'm not letting it get me off plan, but I am not able to workout right now.

I wanted to share a few of the low carb blogs with you that I've found helpful so far. Please share any that you've all found and like.

mariahealth.blogspot.com -- look back over those recipes, some really yummy ones for both meals and desserts/snacks.

livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/ -- Jimmy Moore does a great blog and posts interviews with experts in various areas about low carb living.

blog.yourlighterside.com/ -- great recipe section. Yummy stuff with notes on whether it's atkins induction friendly or not

take care...
Old 03-31-2011, 09:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/135

Height: 5.0

I am doing low-carb also. I been on it for about 1 week and 1/2. I am not eating sugar,pastas,breads etc. I did add some fruit to my diet this week. It seems to be going good for me. I really had bad sugar cravings my first week but I am doing alot better this week I think it just has to get out of your system....
rdnkgirl0701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #11  

Thanks for sharing those links with us Ann....i'm always looking for some new recipes and info.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #12  

I also recommend watching the movie Fathead if you haven't done so already. I watched it through Netflix online, but I heard you can also get it through Hulu or just rent the DVD. If you want a general idea about it, go to the movie's website or to youtube and watch some clips. Great stuff.

How's everyone doing? I'm fine. Been on plan but trying to recuperate from the bronchitis. Hope to be able to start working out soon.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I would love to join with ya'll. I am doing low carb, too. I try to keep my carbs under 100 net grams. I, too, eliminated pasta, potatoes, bread, rice and sugar. I am trying to get about 125g of protein a day.

I exercise alot and I also count calories. I may shoot for lower carb grams this week. what is everyones goal?
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #14  

How's everyone doing today? I'm doing well and have been eating on plan for one week now. Weighed in and lost 6 lbs!!! Not bad for my first week, huh? I know it's mostly water, but I'll take it. Hope to keep losing.

Anyone planning on any interesting low carb dinners this week? I would love some recipes.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #15  
I Will do this....

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/165

Height: 5ft 7

I'm also a non named diet low carber - 131 lbs down Good luck, and don't hesitate to PM me if you need advice or even just an ear.
starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote