South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW 270/see ticker/GW 150

Height: 5'9"

Default Hi Girls! New here...

Hi Everyone!
My name is Mary and I started SB one week ago. This forum has been so helpful. Any question I have I just search and find an answer, its awesome!

I don't know how I became 270 lbs. I've fought diets because I believed I ate quite healthy and resented the fact that I ate better than most skinny chicks I knew- yet still had weight problems. I recently found out I have Hashimoto's and learned the hard reality that if I didn't do something soon, I'd just keep gaining. I never weighed myself, chocked bad pics up to bad angles, and use a long mirror that is very forgiving. I really didn't know I was that far gone until I saw myself on the TV news (charity work, not a mug shot!). I ran to the mirror and yelled to my boyfriend "That is not what I see in the mirror!!!" It was HORRIFYING!! That coupled with Hashimoto's, finding out my weight at the doc and watching my mom suffer from multiple strokes (that the docs said her daughters were now prone for if we didn't watch it) checked my reality quite effectively. I'm NOT going down that road!
Anyway-
All has gone well except I sadly just noticed my soy milk has sugar in it, which really took the wind out of my sails for a minute- a big "you gotta be kidding me..." moment, since it did a good job replacing 1/2&1/2 in my coffee, but I'm over it. Skim milk for me. I'm starting P1 again tomorrow. It is important to me to have a clean P1.
I'm finding that I like the rigidity! This was unexpected since I'm (obviously) the defiant type, but I like that the decision is made for me and I don't have to worry about what to eat. Ironically, it has taken the stress out of eating. I thought it would totally be the opposite. I dreaded starting because I knew I would be on P2 for at least a year, and it felt like I was saying goodbye to my life as I knew it. But, all is going great and I'm incredibly excited for the outcome.
The sudden fiber overload made me really ill for a day, for which lots of water helped. I went to a party sober for the first time and I had a blast! (Who knew you don't need alcohol to have a good time? I didn't!)
I'm hopeful and happy and very glad to have fellow SBers to relate to. You've all been a lifesaver so far. Here's to a new life!
YeahYeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:30 AM   #2  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you're bound and determined to be successful! Good luck on your journey and I look forward to getting to know you!
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:44 AM   #3  
Be happy.

Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:15 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8"

Hey, Yeah Yeah! I too like the structure of this diet. I find it incredibly helpful to lay out what I will eat each day on paper. It takes the guess work out of things for me. This time around I also started counting points because I needed to get a grip on my portions and that helps too. That part sort of fell apart in February/April, and my weight was bouncing up and down all over the place, so I'm back to it now.

You can get unsweetened soy milk, and I think you might even be able to get fat free half and half. Personally I use whole milk in my coffee and don't look back. All my other dairy products are low fat/reduced fat except for some full fat cheeses I occasionally allow myself.

What kind of treatment are you under for the Hashimoto's? That should also boost your weight loss.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:21 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

to the Beach, YeahYeah! It sounds like you have your mind in the right place and are ready to do this. And having a clean Phase 1 is the very best way to pave the way for a success and getting to your goal.
Good luck, and we look forward to getting to know you.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:03 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/164.8/135

Height: 5'3

Welcome to the beach!
Vking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Welcome!!!
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

You certainly seem to have your head together and are off to a good start. Please stick around and join in the daily chat and any of the other threads.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:59 AM   #9  

S/C/G: maintaining

Welcome! I've gotten almond milk with no sugar before as an alternative. Expensive though.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #10  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Mary and welcome!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW 270/see ticker/GW 150

Height: 5'9"

Yeah I'm excited to also try boxed soymilk on the shelves, as per another thread I found on the subject (which made me look at the sugar content on the kind I had and resulted in ).
Thanks for all the welcomes!
(I'm taking the cheap version of synthroid for Hashimoto's. We're still trying to find my perfect dose...takes awhile. Hopefully it helps ALOT lol.)

Also- my sister went to a nutritionist who recommended South Beach as the best diet. Love the validation!!
YeahYeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #12  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Welcome to SB!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #13  
Rebelwithacause

S/C/G: 300/249/175

Height: 6'

to our beach! Spread your blanket and stay awhile. There are some very experienced folks here who are more than willing to help in any way so don't hesitate to ask for help when you have the need.
TallandThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 273/see ticker/200

Height: 5'4

Welcome! I just started Phase 1 again too and I said the same thing, my highest was 281 almost a year ago and I was like, "How did this happen??" I said the same thing when I just gained 18 lbs back from my first try. LOL.

I too love Soy Milk but I've found that Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk is great... so is Unsweetened Vanilla Soy, but it's not sweet enough for me so I stick with the Almond. I love ff half and half for coffee.
jewels2730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 210/203/170

Height: 5'6"

Hi! Nice to have met you here on the Beach! I'm also new, I'm on day 7 and I'm totally surprised that I'm losing cravings for bread and sweets. I didn't think it was ever possible, and I still have a hard time believing it! I'm loving Phase 1 so far and also appreciate all the guess work is gone. So much easier and less stressful to follow!
summerlake is offline   Reply With Quote