Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #1  
Winning!

S/C/G: 287.8/276.6/142

Height: 5'3.5"

Default Scar tissue more painful as you lose?

I had a splenectomy 4 years ago, and weighed 316lbs at the time. It ended up being an open surgery, and the wound got infected and took several months to heel completely. I have a 12 inch horizontal scar along my waist, which didn't really bother me too much (pain wise) before now. Currently I am finding if I lay on that side, (which is my favorite way to sleep) I get really bad pain in the scarred area... even after I stand up I have pain for a few minutes to an hour.

My first guess is that since there isn't as much "cushion" around it, there is more pressure being put on it.. but that's just a guess. Has anybody else experienced changes in scar tissue pain after losing some weight? I realize this could be an obscure problem, but I am very curious

Also, if anybody has any tips on what to do about it, that would be great.. I mean besides don't lay on my side lol
drinkypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

I have the same problem with my c-section scar. Even though I've only lost 13 lbs so far I feel the skin on my belly becoming tighter and kinda pulling on it. Maybe just the changes in your skin is causing it?
FatJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

have you been working out the area a lot? like doing lots of oblique exercises? i was searching around to see what your problem might be and apparently you can reinjur the area through repeated use even long after the scar has fully formed. there is also a very good chance it could be an adhesion which is fairly common after abdominal surgeries.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #4  
Winning!

Jayne - I didn't even consider the fact that my skin is changing - duh. That could certainly be a factor.

niafabo - thanks for doing some research I haven't done anything oblique specific, and very little ab specific routines.. but I started doing a lot of strength training a couple of weeks ago, which is possibly contributing to irritating the area. I was wondering about adhesion's as well. I guess it is something I should mention to my doctor, even if it's nothing it's worth having it checked out.
BTW You are really inspiring to me, whenever I come across your posts, and ticker, it gives me hope that I can get this weight off too
Old 04-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Awwww thanks Coco. I hope everything works out for you. Talking to your doctor is definitely a good idea. Hopefully he can figure out the problem and have it fixed up for you in no time.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

i dont know if you are, but if you arent id moisturize that area once or twice a day to keep it supple, more pliable.

But def have your doc look at it to in case something is going on
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #7  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Heh. People think I am crazy when I tell them my "appendix" hurts.

I had my appendix removed about ten years ago - I was about the same weight I am now, probably even a bit less. My weight has gone up and down, up and down, up and down over the years. My scar has never hurt more or less during the time. But I have noticed at times it just hurts. Not from laying on it or anything (its only about 3-4 inches long) - but I notice it just hurts sometimes, often if I eat a big meal - but sometimes for no obvious reason.

Just wanted to share. I always thought I was nuts for saying my scar hurts, but apparently its not uncommon.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #8  
Winning!

sotypical - that's funny about you saying your appendix hurts... I have said quite a few times since my surgery "my spleen hurts" lol

pixikat - I hadn't been moisturizing it =/ I will start today