South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

Default New to this part of the forum.

I just ordered the book from amazon (I went with the used copy of the original book to save money). Anyway I know the basic principal behind the diet.

I've been trying to take of my post-pregnancy weight since I had my first daughter 4 years ago. I used to be naturally thin with good metabolism. Sadly that all changed after having children and becoming a stay-at-home mom (sedentary lifestyle) for the better part of the past 4 years.

I have a huge sweet tooth. Soda is my main problem. Type 2 diabetes runs on both sides of my family and I've decided it's time to change the way I eat before I become pre-diabetic. I'm going on a this diet not only so I can lose weight and become healthier but also so I can set a good example for my kids. I try to teach them to eat healthy foods but I'm finding the best way to learn is by example.

Last edited by CrazedLedZepFan; 04-02-2011 at 04:09 PM.
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/164.8/135

Height: 5'3

You are on the right path! This is a great place for support, and ideas. Good luck in your journey
Vking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8"

Welcome! It's great to post each day on the on plan thread as well as the daily.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Welcome!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Welcome to the Beach! We're happy to have you joining us here and looking forward to getting to know you better.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: maintaining

Nice to meet you
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #7  

Crazed, I'm starting South Beach tomorrow. I too am teetering on pre-diabetes and have to do something now.

May I suggest the newer book South Beach Supercharged. The food lists have been updated from the original book, and there are also great guidelines for following each phase in the Supercharged book.
keepfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #8  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Default New to SBD

Hi CrazedLedZepFan, Vking, Mmckellen, Lexxiss, cottagebythesea, WaistingTime and keepfaith

I am new to this part of the forum also. Today is the first day trying SB and I have to tell you it is really hard for me. I don't like a lot of things and I have a major texture issue so the ricotta and the cottage cheese are gonna take some getting use to (if I can). I went on the Phase 1 recipe thread and copied a few, gonna try to make the bacon egg quiche. Dinner and lunch weren't too bad today but the salad and the meat aren't enough. I have drank a ton of water and I still want something else. This is the time when I go downstairs pull out the oyster crackers and snack till I'm full. I'm trying to stay upstairs :Crossed: What is the latest you all eat? Thanks for your help and any tips you may have.

Oh and I had a health screening and my glucose read was 200 after fasting for 13 hours so yes, something has to give. I was insulin dependent with our last two children and I don't want to go there again. I was told to get the weight (BMI) down and exercise more.
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #9  

Hello love2b,

You don't have to eat cottage or ricotta cheese. There are many proteins and veg to choose from.

I know I am really going to miss my fruit for the first two weeks. It will be an adjustment for me too.

We can do it!
Old 04-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #10  

Oh, about the latest we all eat...I always have a bedtime snack. I've been doing it since I was a kid, and I'm not stopping now!
Old 04-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #11  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Hi keepfaith what do you usually have before bed? Are you checking your sugar yet? I haven't had a morning below 200 yet so I'm hoping for a better read in the morning. I just took it and it was 159 it hasn't been 1 anything even 3.5 hrs after a meal so in the morning. I just made bacon, cheese and egg; cheese, parsley and egg and cinnamon, nutmeg, a little equal and egg quiches. Gonna try two after church in the morning.

Thanks for replying, Have a great night!
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:47 AM   #12  
Rebelwithacause

S/C/G: 300/249/175

Height: 6'

You've come to the right place for support, acceptance and a swift kick when you need it . Extending a hand in friendship and sincerely hope you do well.
TallandThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:05 AM   #13  
Be happy.

to both of you ladies.
It's great to have you here!
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

May I suggest beans, if you like them. They really fill you up! I've made the chunky veggie chili from the new book 5 times and I always try to double it to have leftovers and never get much leftover. So good! There's a recipe here for Parmasean Cannelini bean casserol that is awesome. 1/2 cup with your meals goes a loooong way! I blend my cottage cheese with an immersion blender in with my yogurt and it's kind of pudding like. No curds which I also hate but cottage cheese is one of the best things a diabetic can eat before bed because the type of protein it is....slow release into the blood...and keeps your sugars stable thru the night. Bodybuilders use it so they don't have to get up in the middle of the night to eat to keep their bodies from going into a catabolic state durning sleep. Good luck and don't go hungry...eat!!!!
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #15  

love2b, I'm planning on having a cheese stick or two as my bedtime snack or maybe some celery with a little hummus or peanut butter; things like that.

I know you said you don't like cottage or ricotta cheese, but I really enjoy them, so I'll be adding those in too. I used to flavor cottage cheese with cinnamon, vanilla and splenda, and to me it tastes like cheesecake.