Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 05:11 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – April 2011 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 fat chicks, a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 04-01-2011, 05:12 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome angelskiss

angelskiss

And, on the occasion of your first month here,

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 04-01-2011, 05:12 AM   #3  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - April Fools Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was home so had my much loved sandwich for lunch - peanut butter, banana, and roasted pecans on toasted whole wheat bread ends, along with my Man Salad; CREDIT moi.

Emptied another box of stuff - some saved, some in the give away pile. Notably included some ancient, but ever so fondly remembered software that DS and I had played with for years. He laughed and told me that there was no computer left on earth that could run it so it had to go. CREDIT moi anyway for tossing out that which no value since I hated so much to let it go, and have kept it so long - as if I could save my DS's childhood by keeping it.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Ouch for missing an art exhibit for paper work. I'm sympathetic since I spent a part of my day reviewing my taxes so they could be e-filed. Kudos for planning a lunch that's "veggie-centric."

Beverlyjoy - Yay for getting back into your story telling at your DGS's preschool. Kudos for continuing to leave a bite.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - You encourage me that the planting season will arrive by your rototilled garden. Great news that your friend feels well enough to give you a call.

maryann - Yay for having a Boss who handled the complaining parent. Kudos for recognizing that one kid's parents out of 120 is NOT a reflection of you. [LOL at "Is there not enough real drama...?"]

ChefJoona - Oh Yes, Kudos for checking in when there's a long list of good reasons to just go hide under the bed.

Jan (jmaf) - Yep, Kudos for getting right back on track. And Yay for good weather for your walk.

RunningFree - Kudos for getting a little exam reading done, as well as Kudos for your gym work.

tarte - Good to be reminded that an "okay" day is good enough. Kudos for accepting that.

angelskiss - I love your statement that sumarizes why I'm drawn to Beck, "I know know know how to lose weight. I just can't bring myself to actually do it." It's the strategies to use to avoid 100 calories at a time that are important to me.

Which of the Beck books are you reading? Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
task 1
Gather your supplies
You will need a number of inexpensive, easy-to-find supplies over and over again while on this plan. You probably already have some of them. Gather the following:
. . .
  • Graph Paper. You will use it to chart your weight loss.
. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 33.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:48 AM   #4  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Hello everyone! I am back after a much needed "vacation". It took almost five days before I actually felt like I was relaxing but then that tells me I really needed to do it...for me.

I look forward to a new month. I do have all the "tools" Beck recommends. I treated myself this past fall to a digital scale that does everything but lose the weight (darn) for me! IMO, I thought it was prohibitably expensive. I mean, after all I use it for all of two minutes once a day so why should it be $100 but it works which my old one didn't.

I'll write more when I can respond to your posts. Right now, no one else has posted except Bright Eyes Bill. GM, Bill, and Happy April First.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Rabbit, Rabbit! (Does anyone else say that on the first of the month for good luck?). When I was little my mom taught me all sorts of silly but fun superstitions and most of them stuck. I was riding in the car with her the other day and she was suprised to see I still lift my feet up when I go over train tracks!

Thank you all for the support following my frustration yesterday. I put a lot of effort into getting back on track yesterday. Credit for walking, and CREDIT for saying NO CHOICE to urges for a sugary after dinner snack that I didn't need. I had to talk back to a lot of panicked thoughts about not having the chance to eat until breakfast this morning. DFiance was a big help to me. I told him how I was feeling and he supported me in resisting my dessert.

Maryann Ouch for that one mother- but great that you recognize that it is only 1 out of 120!! It sounds like you are an amazing teacher who works to challenge her students to their benefit. Wonderful that you are planning some self care days!

Welcome Angelskiss!!!!!!!!

More personals tomorrow!

Feeling positive and good about a new month, and a good Becck day today.

And the Nor'easter we were supposed to get has gone farther south... thinking of you in Boston BillBE... looks like you're getting more precipitation that we are up here.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:58 AM   #6  

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

I found the books from message boards actually. I've been reading here for a while as well as others. I've been following WW for years and was doing well on it then the weight loss slowed down. I eat much healthier than I used to but am constantly giving in to things that aren't helping.

I have a plan for today and will stick to it. I am looking for a loss this week and will get it as long as I stick to my plan.

Yesterday's task was eat sitting down. I do, I never eat standing up. At least I thought that, That was a wake up call. I was often taking things from the fridge and walking around with them. Oops.

Bill My house always feels better when I am able to get rid of things. Good luck.

pamatga I hope you can keep your relaxing state for a while.

ChefJoona good job resisting dessert.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #7  
Green Tomatoes

Just a quick post to celebrate meeting my March exercise goal!

WI: NAkgs, Exercise: +55* 1600/1600 minutes for March, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, angelskiss!
Old 04-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #8  
This is for life!

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/136

Height: 5'3"

HAPPY APRIL BECKIES!!!

194 this morning, again, but I was 195 yesterday, so since the scale had been stuck at 196 for 2 weeks I'm taking this as a permanent loss. (We'll see tomorrow.)

I've been sticking to my eating plan, but today is the first day back to exercising. Worked out with Jillian's 30 day shred this morning... hopefully I'll do another 20 minutes tonight.

Will post personals later... just wanted to check in and say Hi to everyone.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beckfolks - Happy April!!!

Yesterday was a healthy day - I am grateful. When I got on the scale it stayed the same. Of course, I insulted myself because I was sure two days back on plan would result in an amazing weight loss. LOL Of course.... that's not true. When I remembered that it's just information - I felt better.

Yesterday, I used some of my resistance techniques to keep me from overeating, I measured & logged my food, had lots of water, did some stretches, left a bite and did some journalling.

My GS is feeling better... so, I'll be leaving to visit tomorrow. I am excited.

I am reading my response card on traveling...and will allow myself a few extra exchanges so I don't feel deprived.

I will try to check in.

Thanks, as always, for being wonderful coaches and friends. I hope I'll be able to do personals soon.

Take care........

A friend sent me this amazing BBC penguin video - I thought you might like it. (only 90 seconds long)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dfWzp7rYR4

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-01-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 193/179/160

Height: 5'7"

Happy April, Everyone!

Guess I was too quick to talk about good weather for my walks - it's currently snowing here !

ChefJoona: Yes, I also do the 'rabbit' thing - taught to me by my college roomates, not my mother - but I did pass the superstition down to my son .

Welcome, angelkiss! I'm still working on the 'eat sitting down' part - it's starting to get a bit easier, though. It really does help me notice what I'm eating.

I'm also doing Jillian's 30 day shred, Gwen! I think it really gives me a good, all around workout - and I *do* appreciate that it's only 20 minutes. I can finally do a 'real' pushup!

Kudos on having a good day yesterday, Beverlyjoy. Enjoy visiting your GS! Traveling is always extra-hard for me. Liked the penguins !

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Jan
Old 04-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Welcome Spring. Or here it feels like summer - over 80 degrees. I really hope it is not one of those years which skips spring and heads straight to triple digits. Bleh!. Exercised twice - step class and DS jog a thon. Came home and ate a big batch of broccoli with a little cheese sauce on it. Yum! I was not OP yesterday. Still feeling blue but I did make sure I ate lots of veggies (credit) and compensated for total calories by the end of the day. Still a little wishy washy today. I get stuck in the blues - usually caused by an event like the angry mom - and I struggle getting out. My focus is to just FEEL WHAT I AM SUPPOSED TO FEEL and understand that I am scared. I can't fix this. Nice long talk with DH. He has no answers but I know he would do anything for me and that is a comfort.
JMAF and Gwen: I am going to get the Jillian shred. It will be a nice tool to have in my arsenal of exercise.
Runningfree: What is this mysterious miracle milkshake?
Beverleyjoy: I really hear you about depression.I am in it again and I just do things that I KNOW will help eventually even though nothing FEELS like it will help.
Lexxiss: It sounds like a great garden. Ironic my husband farms 2000 acres but we can't seem to start a patch of something here. Seems overwhelming to me. But I will make a commitment for cherry tomatoes.
Tarte: I had to let go on car eating. It was the least of my terrible habits and the only way I could make sure I ate every three hours.
BBE: I am buying King Sardines today. I thought of you.
Chef Joona: I am going to teach that little superstition to my son. Cute.
Angelkiss: Welcome
Gardenerjoy: Congrats on making goal for MArch.
Pagmata: Welcome back.

Last edited by maryann; 04-01-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #12  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

I just wanted to check back in briefly since I posted so early this morning. I just wanted to say that I understand your feelings you are struggling with both Maryann and Beverlyjoy. For me, my depression has stemmed from a lot of major life stressors spanned over three-four years. Sometimes, it feels like a tsunami of darkness that sweeps over me and I feel like I am drowning in sorrow.

Mostly, it is about lose and grieving over that. I lost a daughter in 2007 "metaphorically", lost my Mom to cancer in 2008, lost my job (one I could do from home and had been doing for 5 years--it worked with my arthritis), a major lose of income (from two full time incomes to one) and lose of my mobility, again my arthritis, and the constant chronic pain I live with, in the past two years.

I give my feelings the respect they deserve and sometimes I just plain sit with it. Of course, all of this has impacted my ability to give my weight lose the attention it deserves. All I can say is that when there is a clearing than I resume working on my weight lose. Forward and downward.

Welcome to our Beck group, angelkiss. With a name like that, I am sure that you will be a blessing to us all.
Lexxiss I am going to do a container garden on my porch this spring/summer. I can barely wait! I used to be an avid gardener when I was a home owner. There is nothing like fresh "from the dirt" food.
Gardener on making goal!
Tarte Just think of how nice it will be to not smell food when you open your car door. Plus, how can you really truly enjoy your meals if you are trying to watch traffic and not spill on your lap? on the major effort! PS We all know how hard it was for you to "out" yourself on this. Just remember, we've all been there, done that.....
Jmaf and Gwen I'm green that you are able to do this workout. It reminds me of the good o days.....sigh. How bout doing an extra one for me then passs on the calories burned this way? (I hope you smiled on that one)
Runningfree Milkshake? Details. Details!

Last edited by pamatga; 04-01-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #13  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Smile

Hi there Coaches/Buddies -

My name is Erika and I'm a former poster in this group who has frequently gone MIA ... but no more. I am back and determined to stick with Beck this time around.

A big difference this time is that I have become involved with Overeaters Anonymous, which has really helped me to see my eating behaviours in a new light. I found that OA was really helpful for the underlying emotional and spiritual issues that contribute to my overeating, but for the actual physical changes in behaviour I really need the structure and discipline of the Beck program as well.

I have been rereading the original Beck Diet Solution book and spent this week going through the 4 introductory chapters. That set me up for today to be Day 1, which works nicely as it's the first day of the month! Appropriately I revised my Advantages Response Card and set up a reminder app on my iphone to bug me to read it several times a day.

I recognize some familiar names (waving to Bill BE,onebyone, Beverlyjoy and Gardenerjoy) and also I'm seeing lots of newer people that I'm looking forward to knowing better!

Thanks for reading!
Erika
Old 04-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 175/168/140

Height: 5'11

Happy April, buddies/coaches!

maryann, pamatga, my so called milk shake is just skimmed milk with decaf coffee powder and low calorie sweetener. I'm very happy to find milk again after Atkins and lactose free diets, so I can't get enough of it.

I had a good day start, with planed meals and run in the rain, but after lunch started binging again. I had to study, because tomorrow is exam and all that material... It's not complicated, but rather boring. Guess I used food to make it more interesting. Now I stopped binging and going back on track. Interesting thing, that chocolate assortment on my desk, which is dedicated for resistance muscle training purpose survived my binge period. Good, looks like I still have my training tool
Old 04-02-2011, 04:40 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi folks - I am off to to see DS, DIL, and GS. Should be home Tuesday night.

I am planning to tell stories to the children at GS's preschool. . Performing at at GS's school is almost a dream come true. I've told stories to thousands of children over the years. It's special that I'll go to his school. I hope he enjoys it.

I have some fruit, lite bread, snacks etc to take to with me.

I am glad to get away. I'll try to check in.- pretty sure I'll get some internet access at some time.

Have a great weekend. (hope you all enjoyed the Penguins for a special April 1. - April Fools)

Treat yourself as kindly as you would a good good friend.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-02-2011 at 04:41 AM.
Closed Thread