Old 03-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 258/ticker/155?

Height: 5'7''

Default Braces

So this is a bit strange, but I have wanted braces for my entire life. It had been suggested by multiple dentists but my parents never wanted to pay. I went to the dentist recently and she suggested it. So this time I went to the orthodontist and decided that I would go ahead with it. I have this sort of plan that I will be at a good weight by the time they come off (in two years). I want to be around 150, at least as a starting place. They go on Thursday. I am nervous but excited. In a way this is a huge part of my weight loss. It will keep me on track because I want to feel good all over, not just with my teeth. Has anyone else ever overlapped more than one self-improvement thing?
BeTrueToYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:05 AM   #2  
Finally Losing Myself

S/C/G: SW 278/ CW see ticker/ GW 150

Height: 5'5

That is awesome! It makes perfectly good sense to me sense has been something you wanted all this time. Congrats on this adventure!
Nikki6kidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/217/150

Height: 5'4"

OMG! Guess where I am going this morning! My first ortho consult! I feel the exact same way! I have always felt self concious about my weight and my smile, now with 50 pounds gone (and more on the way) time to work on the other thing! My hubby looked at me funny when I said I wanted to do it, he said isn't that just for kids? lol I just hope its affordable when I here what needs to be done as I feel like it will put my self confidence through the roof! Good luck to you!!
JenB77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #4  
ecograndma

S/C/G: 253/190/153

Height: 5' 7"

I didn't have ortho work done, but had some major dental work completed (gum rebuilding and a bridge added). It was expensive, but I cannot tell you how much it helped with my self-esteem. I have a job where I have to give presentations and I never felt confident since I was missing some teeth (I mumbled through presentations). I now feel better about myself and that fear of speaking has diminished. I also feel comfortable about laughing out loud instead of covering my mouth. It is funny how something like that could take over your life.

We are all worthy of improving our lives through weight loss, dental work, changing our looks (through hair, clothing, glasses). I am not a vain person at all, but if something makes me feel better, and if I can project that on others, I am all for that.
Toonses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #5  

Thank you for the comments everyone. JennyT, let me know how it goes! I just did mine last Thursday and the xray machines were awesome. The othodontist was really nice and helpful, as were all of the employees. We may be in this braces thing together!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #6  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

I have every intention of getting braces once I start working full time. It's funny, you wrote that braces were a huge part of your "weight loss" but I'm sure you meant self-image Good for you. It may take a few years, but it's a solid investment.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #7  

You are so right! Thank you for correcing my mistake
Old 03-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #8  

Well first appointment down, more booked! Boys those xrays show a lot...turns out I clench my jaw, to the point of popping it out at times, must be happening in my sleep as i haven't really noticed it during the day? My ortho was glad I have taken up yoga ha (not my first visit, my son has been into to see him a few times so we can joke) so I go on Thursday to be fitted with something to wear at night for two weeks to help realign my jaw and then a full set of records for after that and THEN a course of treatment :P phew...I think I just began another journey along with you! Keeo me posted! I am thinking a clear set maybe when the time comes. What are you going for?
Old 03-31-2011, 05:41 PM   #9  

Height: 5'7

Im overlapping right now! Lol. Got invisilign this morning. Around this time next year, if all goes right, I should have a great smile to match my new smoking hot body.

With my enthusiasm, you'd never know that I was in nearly unbareable pain hahahaha. It's to be expected with the first few days though. And for once in my life, Im not looking forward to dinner lol. Because of my 4 buttons (2 upper and 2 lower) removing the aligners and putting them back on is...I can't even explain the pain. It was so bad I couldn't even cry lmao. But hey, no pain no gain right?
The Chubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 345/ticker/150

Height: 5'10

That's too funny ! I thought I was the only one! I actually did have braces, for the first year I had planned on losing weight.. then it never happened. Then when I got my braces off I had to have a surgery on my tooth to get it removed - one of the fang looking ones in the front - and I had to wait a while to get a new implant put in and I didn't have a tooth. I was sooo self conscious, and I decided since that was going to take a while I would go ahead and diet, and grow out my hair and by the time I was done with the tooth thing I'd be at my goal weight, with long hair, and nice teeth. I'd be hott! Wellll. I've went from 345 to 210 and I have nice teeth! (the surgery isn't done YET but they put a temporary tooth on for now so I can smile!) My hair isn't as long as I want it to be because I get it colored alllll the time, but whatever I'm almost there in all aspects! Good luck !

Last edited by sweetsmmr91; 03-31-2011 at 06:07 PM.
sweetsmmr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #11  

I got them on today...and ouch! Well I am not in pain per say...not sharp pain but an ache. I ate a hard boiled egg and it was all stuck in my teeth/braces. I think more was in my teeth than my stomach. I am working on some pineapple tidbits now. I barely ate today (some chicken, blueberries and the egg) so I am very hungry but it hurts to eat. Probably a good thing
Old 03-31-2011, 11:09 PM   #12  

I went today for all of my impressions and full set of xrays. I had the appointments mixed up, I go back in 2 weeks for my night guard thingy to stop my clenching (and started yoga tonight so that should help too!) Then back shortly after that for my "plan" of what we are going to do Sorry to hear its such a pain to eat, I am sure it will get easier! What style did you end up going with?
Old 03-31-2011, 11:20 PM   #13  

I was looking forward to getting colored bands I know my 5th graders will like it too. I went with the American style. What kind are you thinking about?
Old 03-31-2011, 11:50 PM   #14  

American style as in the color? I am thinking clear not silver brackets (if thats what they are called lol) I was thinking invisalign but decided against it.