Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/160/145

Height: 5'1"

Default The whoosh...explained!

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but I figured it was relevant information, and might be of some help to people who are stuck agonizing over water retention and the unpredictability of whooshes.

Anywho, enjoy!
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...uishy-fat.html
doopdoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:00 PM   #2  
~Kim~

I have a headache and I'm tired so I'm not sure I'm processing this information correctly. Is the author saying that having a dry carb refeed day might result in a big whoosh the next day?
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyDimples View Post
I have a headache and I'm tired so I'm not sure I'm processing this information correctly. Is the author saying that having a dry carb refeed day might result in a big whoosh the next day?
only if you're weight loss has stalled. he's just saying when you lose fat part of the reason your weight doesn't change right away is because your fat cells fill up with water. once that water is released your weight appears to go down really fast but you haven't just magically lost a lot of fat in one day that fat has been gone for awhile you are just losing water weight that was masking the fat loss.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:30 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6''

Not to hijack this thread or anything but...Niafabo you are looking good!! This picture when compared to the one you had up a month ago you can tell a huge difference!! Congrats on your success, it is REALLY showing!
lucyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyford View Post
Not to hijack this thread or anything but...Niafabo you are looking good!! This picture when compared to the one you had up a month ago you can tell a huge difference!! Congrats on your success, it is REALLY showing!
thanks.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Interesting! Thanks doopdoop. I wish there were more specific numbers given though... how much is "still carrying a lot of fat"? How many days does he recommend the dry carb refeed? I don't know enough about the science behind nutrition to critique his claim, but would be willing to test it experientially
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:05 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 169/169/135

Height: 5ft 4"

I loove the part about the dimply look and the small marbles, becuz I am THERE! I have been agonizing how my thigh skin can possibly look so much worse than 33 lbs ago, but if his explanation is to be believed, I am near to my ultimate weight loss goal. I choose to believe, I choose to beleive ( if I say that 100 times fast, I wonder if it will work!) lol.

Thanks for the info, it really made my night, just when I was feeling down about being stuck for over 6 weeks.
kimmieval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:50 AM   #8  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

I’d note that dry carb-loads suck because you’re so damn thirsty. Interestingly, even normal refeeds often work in this regards, perhaps the hormonal effect ‘tells’ the body to chill out and release some water. So not only do refeeds seem to improve stubborn fat mobilization the next day (as discussed above), they may help the body drop some water so that you can see what is happening.

This leaped out at me. I have no idea the credibility of the article, but I am definitely a whoosher, and I have noticed lately that a lot of times they are coming after I've done a little splurging. For instance, last week I spent time with family for my sister's bday, went out for ice cream and a richer-than-usual meal at a restaurant, and down 3 lbs this week after no loss the week before. Last month I had a bingy day (nothing crazy, just ate more than usual), and I was rewarded with a 5 lb loss after staying the same for 3 weeks.

Of course the slippery slope for me is that I might start thinking, hmmm, I know how to get the pounds dropping -- go off plan! Not a good thing to tell myself too often!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

This just made me think of something that I learned in chem. Water moves from the lower concentration (the one with more water) to the higher solute concentration (the one with less water). Looking at it like this it kind of make sense that if the fat cells have a high concentrations of solutes but very little water that's where the water will move until they shrink and less and less water can go into the cells. This is osmosis but I am not a chemist and don't know if this really has anything to do with what this guy is talking about or if it applies to fat cells. But it sounded good to me :P
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:43 AM   #10  
Keto lady

S/C/G: 206/190/Under 140

Height: 5'5"

Great article, thanks for sharing!! I have definitely found that I get a woosh after a night of vodka, and this totally explains this!
Txalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I wonder if this is true why you couldn'tpass on the carb refeed and just take a diuretic to get rid of the water?
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #12  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacygee View Post
I wonder if this is true why you couldn'tpass on the carb refeed and just take a diuretic to get rid of the water?
That... and I also wonder if something like coffee helps too?
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote