Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 6

Default Too large to start running?

There is a running group in my community that is lead by a personal trainer. It is kind of like a couch to 5K program. The program is twice per week for 18 weeks and the trainer starts you out slow and builds you up to a 5K race at the end of the 18 weeks. I think the program would be fun, but I'm a little scared that I'm too big to start running? Has anyone here started running when they were big and had success doing it? Advice?
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 332/see ticker/132

Height: 5' 3.5"

I had a really hard time with jogging when I tried at first at 195 pounds, mainly since I was super-morbidly obese for my entire adult life and totally out of shape. That of course is MY experience and you are the best judge of your own abilities. My doctor warned me about too much impact on my knees and ankles when I talked to her about wanting to jog when I was around 250. Maybe ask your doctor their opinion before jumping into it. You can always just start with walking, walking inclines, speed walking etc if the doc tells you to wait on it.
Pacifica Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #3  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

I've started a C25K program, which is very similar to what you are describing. I haven't experienced any knee or ankle pain, although I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean I'm not doing damage. I'd check in with your Dr. for some advice on this.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:09 AM   #4  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Please be very careful. When I tried jogging at 210 lbs, I developed knee bursitis and ankle issues. Both were very painful and I needed a lot of real down time to completely heal. As someone previously stated, you know yourself the best. Don't push too much if you feel pain. Muscle stiffness and fatigue are expected but if you feel throbbing, stabbing, sharp pains, please stop asap. Working through these types of pain is not beneficial and can take you out of the exercise game for a while.
Good luck to you with the C25k program, if you decide to do it. I found it a lot of fun.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #5  
In the desert...

I'll echo the other posters who say check with your doctor before starting a running program. It's good advice for anyone at any weight, but it's particularly good when you're heavier, as I was when I started running. I had knee surgery last year which may or may not have been due to my weight and running (doctor can't say for sure) so you do want to be cautious. But can you run at your weight? Sure. But be cautious, start slowly, ramp it up even more slowly, and be aware of your body's signals.
julesp313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I can only tell you my experience. I was 289 when I started running (on the treadmill). I am now - finally - up to running 3 miles at a time. I've never had any knee problems (knock on wood) and they never bothered me when running. At first what KILLED was my thighs (from lack of muscle, I assume). What bothers me most now is my bouncy belly.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

I run. No pain but I've always been active so maybe that's why? I always wondered what the problem is...men who are normal for their height weight, and weigh what we weigh can run without concern for their joints/bones. Are their joints/bones made of different material than ours? If you have personal issues then it's a personal decision but a blanket statement to say you're/we're too heavy to run...I don't think so.
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:04 PM   #8  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: Started SB 12/18/09 334/-/?

Like the others have said,talk to your doctor first then if he gives you the ok,start slow.I started doing intervals(running/jogging) like at 240 something w/o any problem (TG), now jog 2 miles non-stop.That will be great motivation for you cause that's something you'd like to do and would more or less stick w/it.You'll be w/other people/make friends and that will be great to.I hope you get the ok from your doctor

Last edited by OnaMi; 03-31-2011 at 05:06 PM.
OnaMi is offline   Reply With Quote