Old 03-28-2011, 11:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 258/234/138

Height: 5'5.5

Default Anyone have success with a nutritionist?

I've been so paralyzed about a plan that makes sense for me for so long that I'm prepared to call in reinforcements. I literally want someone who will say "eat this and only this for awhile" but I just don't want some random plan, I want someone who will work with me to make sure I like what I eat and make sure that I'm meeting my goals not only to lose weight but to preserve and possibly build muscle.

I remember meeting with a nutritionist once when I was younger- I don't remember much about it except that she seemed vaguely nice but I remember being handed a pre- printed list of food to eat. It didn't work I know there are online commercial things that do this but I really want a live person to be accountable to and I have pretty good health insurance that will cover one for me (mostly) so a nutritionist would definitely be cheaper.

I'm interested to hear if anyone had a good experience with someone who helped them work out a good plan for them and what they did to screen that person.
gmailjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #2  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I saw a nutritionist that my doctor recommended when I first started and she was very helpful. Having said that, I did disregard much of what she told me. I had already decided to count calories but she was very adamant, "You will get obsessed if you count calories!" She wanted me to use an exchange program.

The lists of foods that she gave me to eat were a huge help. My diet was so bad that I really did not know what to eat. I took her list and tried to use them in the same proportions that she wanted, I just also counted calories. For the first 4 months I weighed in at my doctors for the accountability.

If you can afford it, I think seeing a nutritionist would be a great help to you.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:02 AM   #3  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

I have. I got frustrated with my weight as I was going to the gym regularly and was still fat. So I went to the nutritionist and as you can see from my ticker, it worked. He showed me how to eat to speed up my metabolism and also the proper portion sizes. I am still using those tools today in maintenance and for the first in a long time, I feel as if I have control over my weight.

I literally ate my way down to my goal weight. Exercise was just an added boost. There really is merit to the saying that weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise. I think you should give it a try. I found my nutritionist via referrals and when he gave me my plan, I researched it to make sure that it made sense before following it. Once I followed it and remained consistent, the weight started coming off.

It's worth a shot....believe me it is.
Slim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #4  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

eeeeeeeeeeeeeek "eat this and only this for awhile" sounds like a very bad idea in my oh-so-very humble opinion. If you eat this and that for a while and get on down to 120 pounds, then what? Will you KNOW how to eat 'normally'?? Will you have addressed the reasons why you gained in the first place? I hate to be a drag but I get verrrrrrrrrrry scared when I see the world "a while" as it implies you STOP at some point.

Nutritionists can absolutely tell you the WAY eat, maybe not the ABC of exactly meal by meal what to eat. And hopefully reinforce the whole 'lifestyle' aspect, as trite as it sounds.

Best of luck!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #5  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
eeeeeeeeeeeeeek "eat this and only this for awhile" sounds like a very bad idea in my oh-so-very humble opinion. If you eat this and that for a while and get on down to 120 pounds, then what? Will you KNOW how to eat 'normally'?? Will you have addressed the reasons why you gained in the first place? I hate to be a drag but I get verrrrrrrrrrry scared when I see the world "a while" as it implies you STOP at some point.

Nutritionists can absolutely tell you the WAY eat, maybe not the ABC of exactly meal by meal what to eat. And hopefully reinforce the whole 'lifestyle' aspect, as trite as it sounds.

Best of luck!!
Well fortunately my situation was not like that. He showed me how to incorporate foods I eat every day into the meal plan. It pretty much boiled down to calorie counting. A 'eat this and not that' plan is as you said, not sustainable. The OP would need to find a nutritionist who can show her how to eat regular foods without sabotaging her future weight loss maintenance.
Slim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #6  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I'd really like to take DH to see one. Our insurance will cover it once it kicks in and I think it would do both of us some good.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 258/234/138

Height: 5'5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post

I totally get your concern- especially from the way I framed the OP. I understand what whatever changes I make will have to sustainable for me for the rest of my life and I have been seeing a therapist for over a year and have been engaging in other kinds of investigation to figure out my why's- and while there is definitely a large emotional component to my disordered eating I honestly think ALOT of it is habit. I really NEVER learned how to make good choices. My mother worked 12 hours a day, 6 days a week (her one day off was a Tuesday) and just said to me as an 11 year old here is five dollars go buy whatever food you want. I didn't make good choices- cause I was never taught how and I don't think my food choices ever really grew up at core-though my portions sure got bigger.

SO now- I'm really paralyzed by the idea of planning and I think I need someone to work with me to develop a meal plan I can stick to for awhile (whatever the initial eval period is for a nutritionist- a month? three?) so I can start to practice all of the other things I need to practice to change my lifestyle- sticking to a plan, making sure that I have on plan foods available to me at all times- etc etc. I NEED a frame work and I'm having SUCH a hard time getting past all of the choices. I'm sure once I have a frame work I can learn how to adjust my plan.

I just want someone who will help me take that first step and hopefully someone I can also be accountable to for awhile. Oh also- I want someone who will help me with my goal of developing a plan that allows me to preserve/ build muscle.

Thanks everyone for your replies- they were helpful.
gmailjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote