General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #1  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Default The lost art of chewing food

Since I started mid January I pay more attention not only to what and how much I eat but also how I eat.
I love good food and like to eat but strangely enough I don't take time to really chew. I am a fast eater and I have a tough time to really slow down and chew my food. Weird eh? You can enjoy the food much longer when you eat slowly and I still am struggling with this.
Anybody else having the same problem?
I am looking for more ideas to practice. So far I try to put down my fork between bites and really put effort into smaller bites. Sometimes I can manage, sometimes it doesn't work at all.
Part of it is, that I chat over my meals and stop paying attention. I am considering switching to chopsticks at home since that would considerably slow me down.
Any other ideas?
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I used to be the same way.

I did a lot of things.

First- I figured out how long it took me to eat (I found it was within 5 minutes! No wonder I'd overeat!)

Then I decided to double that. 10 minutes. I started drinking a sip of water between each bite. I put down my fork, I did NOT hold my fork or eat while talking. I mean literally I was looking at the clock the whole time (I know it sounds crazy) to make sure I wasn't going too fast.

Then when I could do 10 minutes I switched up to 15, then 20 minutes. At 20 I felt that I was at a good enough pace

It was tough but I remember it took me a few weeks to really get it down to where it was more natural.

Now I'm usually the last to be done! It sort of backfired on me

Last edited by beerab; 03-28-2011 at 02:18 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote