Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #1  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Default Almond Milk

I bought some unsweetened almond milk (40 cal/cup) the other day to try for the first time. I've been a fat free cow milk user for years, I never thought I'd switch but it aggravates my digestion so I thought I could try the almond milk to see if that would help.

I have to say it's a bit confusing to me, it looks like milk and smells like milk, it even tastes like milk but there's something missing in it and I cant figure out what it is. Its like if you could take fat free milk and make it even more fat free, thats what almond milk tastes like to me. Something is not there, but it's not something that would make me not want to eat it.

My cat is definitely confused too. He always annoys me and begs for milk when I'm eating my cereal, he did that this time but when I let him taste it he gave me the strangest look ever! lol
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I don't see it as something "missing" as much as added. To me it has an unmistakable nutty flavor. I can absolutely tell it comes from Almonds. I love it, but I also love soy milk. Having been off milk for several months now, I drank some this weekend because I was out of soy/almond and the milk just sat in me kind of heavy.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I actually love the unsweetened almond milk, specifically because of the nutty flavor that Eliana describes. BUT, I've been off cow's milk for ages because I'm lactose intolerant, and even now I only use almond milk for the very rare bowl of cereal, in my oatmeal, or for baking.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I use almond milk amd do not think it tastes like cows milk at all, it tastes like almond milk as it is supposed to.

Last edited by bargoo; 03-23-2011 at 10:02 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Definitely has an almond-y flavor. I like soy milk better, personally. However, I won't use either one for cooking. If a recipe for a savory-style meal or side dish calls for milk, I'll buy a small container of skim. I like the flavors of soy and almond milk, but hate what they do to foods other than breakfast cereals and oatmeal.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 138/134.5/118

Height: 5'4"

I love almond milk! I can't do regular or soy milk though, it bothers my stomach... I'm probably a little lactose intolerant... I'm part Native American and almost the entire race has problems with milk - not sure why soy bothers me as well!

Last edited by LLBoldAsLove87; 03-23-2011 at 10:56 AM.
LLBoldAsLove87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:10 AM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I agree about almond or soy for cooking. It sweetens dishes, which is not always desirable.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 169/158/135

Height: 5'3

One of the other staff members where I work uses almond milk. He keeps a carton in the fridge at work. Asked him if I could try some to see what I thought and I really liked it. Been using some in my protein shakes for the last two weeks.
33flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 177/153/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Hmmm. I really like almond milk. I gave up dairy when I was nursing because my younger son was lactous intolerant for some years. I switched to 40 cal unsweetened for all my needs and enjoy. One writer here mentioned "something missing" and I wonder if that reader is sensitive to the missing protein--some substance? I personally "miss" the sweetening so I add truvia to a dish or the drink if appropriate (not in a savory recipe though).

Anyway, I love that I get all that calcium and flavor at 40 calories--plus vit E. I miss the protein that you find in soy or cow's milk.
iaradajnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

I love almond milk! Don't drink regular milk because it makes me feel bloated and flemmy. Almond milk doesn't taste like milk to me which is a good thing because I don't like the taste of cow's milk there is just something slightly nauseating about regular milk and supposedly it's healthier then regular milk so it all works out.

p.s. i'm not lactose intolerant because cheese, yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, and other dairy foods don't seem to bother me like milk does.

Last edited by niafabo; 03-23-2011 at 04:26 PM.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

I drink 2% milk occasionally. I use 2 cups of it in my coffee every day of my life...not all at once, but during the day. BUT. I LOVE almond milk. I use it for low cal pseudo-smoothies. They aren't thick like if you use yogurt or tofu, but totally yummy to me. My typical is like a double serving of fruit with a few ice cubes, a splash of artificial vanilla, some splenda, 2 cups of almond milk and a teaspoon-ish of cinnamon. Today I had it with fresh mango and it is incredible. Often I use bananas because they're inexpensive. Strawberries work too. I've never tried apples or pears and think they might not be squishy enough. Anyhow, just my two cents' worth. I got a carton of coconut milk the other day, the new kind, not the kind in the can and I really like it, but it has more calories. I think it will be amazing for curry recipes though to lighten them up when they call for regular coconut milk and the silk website has some recipes for using it.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #12  

Height: 5'2"

I actually love almond milk. I tried a sample of Blue Diamond Unsweetened and started buying that. A couple weeks ago the store was out and I bought Silk Original. While I like it, it is very sweet; not just for drinking. But I do like it in my cereal as it sweetens it up without adding sugar.

Today I went to Walmart and found that Silk now sells an unsweetened almond milk with only 35 calories per cup! I bought it and will try it in the next day as soon as my other 1/2 gallon is done. But I did use the calculator and found that the new 35 cal one is only 1 points plus value for an entire cup vs. 2 points, so I am hoping it tastes more like the Blue Diamond unsweetened.
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 138/134.5/118

Almond Breeze is my favorite brand, try that sometime!
LLBoldAsLove87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #14  

Height: 5'2"

I actually have found that I get an energy boost after I drink a cup of almond milk that I don't get from regular skim milk. I have started drinking a cup before I go to the gym.

Marie
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

OOHhh- I need to write this on my grocery list for next time. I think I would like to try it in my protein shake. Can anyone tell anymore nutrition facts... carbs, fat and protein? Is it in the regular dairy section?
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote