Old 03-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/?/132

Height: 5'6"

Talking Is the gym an awesome food deterrent for anyone else?

I know a lot of people go to the gym and enjoy the rush that working out gives them, the way it boosts their mood, allows them to work off stress, etc... and it does all of that for me as well... but more than that - if I make a point to go to the gym everyday, I am way.way.way. less likely to eat off plan than I would otherwise!! It's like, I go to the gym, I feel so accomplished and I don't want to 'ruin' all that hard work by eating something bad.

This morning, I had every intention to go off plan. I have been craving chocolate cake - badly. In fact, I allowed myself a PIECE of cake 3 days ago. But again today, I was sitting on the couch thinking "wow, that was really good... I still have all the ingredients, I could easily just bake up a small molten chocolate lava cake, then go to bed - I'm SURE I will wake up early before work tonight and go to the gym today....." I even had the recipe pulled up on the computer to go make it. But instead, I told myself "Nah, I'll go to the gym now, bake the cake when I get home and then I don't have to worry about waking up early for work." ... So I went - initially, I was only going to do 30 minutes, but kept pushing and did 80 minutes of *hard* elliptical work. You know the kind of work out where you just lean over the handle bars when the timer is up to catch your gasping breaths...

Well, I just got home and any craving for that chocolate cake is COMPLETELY gone. I frankly don't even WANT it now....

Does the gym have these magical powers for anyone else?
GonnaTurnHeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Sadly, no. LOL! Going to the gym neither makes me hungry nor suppresses my appetite. But hey, I'm glad it works for you!! I'm just glad it doesn't make me hungry!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 228/174/155

Height: 5'9"

Yes, sometimes I get that motivation too! But then day turns to night and day again - somehow the hormones and brain chemicals change and my energy peaks and falls - it's always changing. I can count on that and that I am developing skills to balance while the changes happen.
Enjoy the energy of enthusiasm and keep going when it doesn't feel as elating! Keep on!
FitMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #4  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

alas, sadly not LOL I'm one of those fools who thinks a 20 minute workout clearly should entitle me to eat whatever I WANT right?? cuz I worked out!!! LOL I do it, it's a chore like brushing my teeth, and i know it's good for me and my heart and my endurance, but i don't have to like it!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

ABSOLUTELY. I cannot stay on a diet plan without exercise because I just won't do it. I need the satisfaction of doing it together. I know that diet is the more important part of the equation, but for me the exercise is what allows me to stick with the diet.

And there's something to be said for boredom busting! Like your experience with the chocolate cake, I will often wake up cranky and just want to shove something in my mouth- but if I go to the gym, it distracts me for long enough to realize that I don't really want the cake. So good for you!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #6  
Go For Your Dreams!

S/C/G: HW340/340/160

Height: 5'6

YES!! it helps me stay focused and motivated AND keeps my temptations AWAY. For example if I did an aerobics class in the morning, I will not eat bad the rest of the day knowing that I busted my butt this morning not too just throw it away on something high in calories and fat!
CandyCoatedSymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #7  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

Absolutely! I don't want to "ruin" a good workout by eating a bunch of junk.
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/210/150

Height: 5' 7"

When I was about 13/14 I used to play sports and dance and swim every evening after school. And my stepmum always said that I'd earnt a chocolate bar or whatever. I know its bad but that is an impressionable age and that thought has stuck with me ever since. Now after I work out I always feel like I should eat something. Whether I'm hungry or not. I normally just have a piece of fruit but my cravings for junk food are at their worst after I' ve exercised.
MusicalJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #9  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Depend on what I do at the gym!

When I run or spin and I sweat a ton, I am right there with you! I don't feel hungry at all! But if I lift weights or swim, RAVENOUS.

I read some research that said that that appetite decreases as the body temperature increases. Since the body is cooled during swimming as the surrounding water is usually cooler than the body temperature, that it increases the appetite!

So I just make sure to carry a banana and some yogurt with me post-swim.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #10  
Queen of Rationalization

S/C/G: 260/257/135

Height: 5'3

I often don't feel like eating after I workout, but it's mostly because I feel tired and energized all at once and re-centered. I can't say that I've ever thought I didn't want to ruin my hard work at the gym with food.

but when I'm working out I eat better, healthier food so I suppose that could be part of it...

It's great that you have found something that works for you though!
c_laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/150

Height: 5ī5

For me exercising kills cravings that arenīt related to hunger, like emotional eating because Iīm feeling sad, angry or bored. It gives me energy and makes me feel good so I donīt need that chocolate bar to lift my moods. However if I really work out intensely and havenīt eaten a lot than I get really hungry because my body is starving but thankfully only for healthy filling foods
I feel that exercise really helps me stay on track because it makes me feel stronger and more confident.
icelandgirl90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #12  

Height: 5'5"

Treadmill and weights make me not want to eat, however swimming makes me feel starved! You just feel so alive after being in the water, it's my favorite feeling in the world
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #13  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Eating healthy and working out definitely go together for me. A really good cardio workout will suppress my appetite and even if I am hungry I don't want to eat junk. Why work so hard just to waste it on chocolate or fried okra? The healthier foods also give me more energy and desire to go workout. If I get on a junk food bender I no longer want to workout, I don't have the energy and I don't see the point. If I eat healthy then I have the energy to workout and I have the attitude that I am already eating healthy so I may as well help the good diet along by working out too.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote