General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

View Poll Results: how fast does an average adults nails grow in a month?
1 in. 1 6.67%
1/2 of an in. 4 26.67%
1/4 of an in. 3 20.00%
1/8 of an in. 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2011, 02:53 AM   #1  

Exclamation Help! I need to lose 50lbs in 4 months for my wedding!

hi I am getting married in september, I weight 225lbs and im 5'6, and i need to lose at least 50 pounds in four months, i did the whole BMR calculator and stuff and calculated that i need to burn 845.35 calories just exercising! and the other rest with healthy eating. How the heck do i burn that much in 1 day!? and how much do i burn every mile i run? im not a big runner so can anyone tell me how to do this and maybe suggest something other then running?
Beka30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:33 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Congratulations on your marriage!

1. I should aim for 'as much as I can' rather than '50lbs'. It's a big ask, 50lbs, and if you make 40, you'd feel you'd failed, rather than be able to be happy at the huge 40.
2. You need to address you eating, your calorie intake. I've no idea how to burn 845.35 calories through exercise - maybe it also includes calories just to exist?
3. It's 6 months to September, you have loner than you thought!
4. If you put your start weight into a programme like Sparkpeople or dailyplate or Dietpower, it will give you a suggested calorie budget to work to.
5. Write down everything you eat - if you use one of these programmes, it's very easy to keep track.

Exercise is important in weightloss but what you eat is the key.
Good luck!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Rosinante is correct and has some great advice. The advice I would add is invest in a heartrate monitor. Those really help me keep track of my calories burned as well as my heartrate.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You can start right now ! Get on a low calorie diet and couple that with exercize. And as Rosinante has said don't get hung up on numbers , just do the best you can.Good luck !

Last edited by bargoo; 03-17-2011 at 11:10 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #5  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

Yes, you can lose that amount of weight in that time with minimal exercise. Feel free to private message me if you want more info. I have lost 10 lbs in the past 10 days.
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:25 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

Spinning will burn 800 calories an hour.
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

You don't list any stats, so it's tough to say and I hesitate to suggest this, but hands down, HIIT is a fantastic fat burning exercise. Whereas steady state cardio burns calories while you're doing it, HIIT ignites your body's furnace and keeps the calorie burn elevated for up to 48 hours after you're done. I highly recommend doing some research on it.

You'll see lots of people saying they are doing HIIT, but they're actually doing intervals. Intervals are awesome too! These also elevate the calorie burn even when finished. True HIIT is going ALL OUT so far that you can not sustain the activity for more than about 20 seconds. So you might sprint 20 seconds and jog 80 seconds repeating 6-12 times.

This is by far the most intense workout I've ever done and you're finished in a very short period of time. You should only do this 2-3 times per week though and it's not for everyone.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #8  

Thank you everyone for the replys...i just feel soo fat..and i especially dont want to feel that way on my wedding day..i was never this big until i got pregnant..**** i was never over 200lbs and now its killing me and i will do anything to get it off...can anyone else suggest something that can take it off in 4 months..and i know my wedding is 6 months away but i still need to shop for my dress and i refuse to until i lose at least 50lbs...
Old 03-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Congrats on the wedding!!! So exciting.

One of the mantras that frequently surfaces on this site and is worth repeating is "losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise." What will make you lose weight is eating less and moving more.... in other words burning more calories throughout the day than you consume. I don't think the 845.35 calories you referenced is how much you need to burn each exercise session, I think it's the calorie deficit they recommend you have each day (in other words, consume 845.35 fewer calorie each day than you exert). This means reducing your calories, portion sizes, amount of sweets and fats you consume, increasing lean proteins and veggies, etc. Then you can also introduce some sort of exercise to help generate that deficit- the general rule of thumb is 30 minutes 5 times a week.

Good luck!!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #10  

indiblue,
i know this may be a dumb question but what are lean proteins? And do i need to count calories or something? im kinda confused and i want to start asap so i can really lose this weight...thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiblue View Post
Congrats on the wedding!!! So exciting.

One of the mantras that frequently surfaces on this site and is worth repeating is "losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise." What will make you lose weight is eating less and moving more.... in other words burning more calories throughout the day than you consume. I don't think the 845.35 calories you referenced is how much you need to burn each exercise session, I think it's the calorie deficit they recommend you have each day (in other words, consume 845.35 fewer calorie each day than you exert). This means reducing your calories, portion sizes, amount of sweets and fats you consume, increasing lean proteins and veggies, etc. Then you can also introduce some sort of exercise to help generate that deficit- the general rule of thumb is 30 minutes 5 times a week.

Good luck!!
Old 03-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

lean proteins are like chicken breast, turkey breast, ground beef that's 97% lean, fish, tofu, etc.
jmko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:20 PM   #12  

Default Joy2MeNu

Joy2MeNu,

Im unsure of how to private message someone but can you tell me over this message board or show me how to private message someone? Im very interested in how to lose the weight like you are..im pretty desperate at this point..thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy2MeNu View Post
Yes, you can lose that amount of weight in that time with minimal exercise. Feel free to private message me if you want more info. I have lost 10 lbs in the past 10 days.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #13  

jmko,

do they need to be cooked a certain way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmko View Post
lean proteins are like chicken breast, turkey breast, ground beef that's 97% lean, fish, tofu, etc.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beka30 View Post
And do i need to count calories or something? im kinda confused and i want to start asap so i can really lose this weight...thanks
Here is something I posted on another forum for someone who had a similar question:

Basically weight loss boils down to calories/energy consumed < calories/energy expended. You have to eat less than you burn off. I know this may sound wayyy dumbed down but when you hear a swirl of atkins-lowcarb-highprotein-medifast-fatsmashers- intuitive eating, etc etc that very simple equation gets lost.

Weight loss is your GOAL and how you do it is your TOOL. The tool you chose is up to you and depends on your own health factors, personality, schedule, etc etc. The bottom line is you need to pick a tool that will get you to calories consumed < calories expended.

For me, I do calorie count. It's the simplest, most flexible way for me to monitor the number of calories going into my body. I also have taken other steps, such as reducing fat intake, reducing salt/sugar intake, eating whole (aka unprocessed foods) almost exclusively, etc.

For others, it may be going on Atkins to reduce their carb intake, going on weight watchers and using a point system, etc. These are all just tools to get to calories/energy eaten < calories/energy expended. Perhaps learn more about these different tools and pick one that you think fits you personally best. You can always change tools (switch from calorie counting to South Beach to intuitive eating, etc) if one isn't working for you. Bottom line should always be the same though: Move more, eat less
Old 03-17-2011, 11:01 PM   #15  

Also, it's awesome that a previous poster has already lost 10 lbs. Just so you set reasonable expectations, it's very typical to lose the first few pounds very quickly and then for the weight loss to slow. 10 lbs in the first 10 days of a diet is very rapid and from what I've seen on this board the rate of loss slows after the first few weeks or month. To lose 1 lb of fat you have to burn 3500 more calories than you consume. Most people aim for consuming 500 calories per day LESS than what they burn. For example, if based on their activity level, size, age, etc they burn 2000 calories a day, if they want to create a 500 calorie deficit they will only eat 1500 calories a day. (This is why some people use calorie counting to ensure they are only consuming that and no more). Over the course of the week 500 each day adds up to 3500 (500/day x 7 days a week), which equals 1 lb of weight lost. I think when you used your BMR calculator and it gave you the 840 number this is the deficit it recommended you try to create each day. Those with more to lose lose the first few pounds even quicker because they are creating a bigger deficit. Most people lose at a rate of 1-2 lbs a week.

Last edited by indiblue; 03-17-2011 at 11:02 PM.