South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #1  

Default Late night snack attack

It is only 610pm now but I can already feel it coming.
I am on day 2 of phase 2. I lost 13.4lbs on phase 1 (2 weeks).

And NOW I am hungry. Maybe this means that I wasn't done with my sugar/carb craving even though I felt fine. But this morning I had a serving of approved cereal and milk with splenda. Then some celery for a snack. Then I put some homemade turkey chili on the stove and took a nap...only to wake up to the smell of burnt chili. There is over an inch of black burnt beans in my pot. Definitely not salvagable. Even though you would think the smell would erase any cravings...I am now craving ANYTHING. I have told myself over and over again that I can eat whatever I want for dinner as a reward for doing so well in phase 1. Then I tell myself I can get the thin crust tomato chicken pizza thing at Papa Murphys (but I KNOW I'll eat like half a pizza myself), I really want a pbj sandwich. A grilled cheese sandwish, any soup. I want to go to a Mexican restaurant and eat some chips and salsa.
What do I do?? I know, I need to get off the computer and go to the store and get some vegitables (THIS is my problem I know...I am about out of phase 1 foods and have been trying to hold off the big shopping for Thursday and now I have nothing to decently snack on).

I guess I am torn between going to McDs or going to bed and trying again in the morning.
erikausaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #2  

I also had a small whole wheat bagel with less then a TBsp of ff cream cheese a couple hours ago.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

If you can get yourself to McDonald's, then you can get yourself to the grocery store.

Craving pizza? You can make the cauliflower crust pizza (which is delicious), or make a pizza on whole wheat pita or flatbread with lowfat cheese.

PBJ? Enjoy one, using a natural peanut butter, on once slice of ww bread, or, better yet, enjoy the peanut butter right off the spoon and forget the bread.

Salsa & chips? Toast a ww tortilla or pita and have it with a low sugar salsa, or dip veggies in the salsa.

If you think outside the box, there are many ways to make substitutes the foods you love, and most of time the substitution tastes even better.

Many people find that bread, even ww bread, stirs up cravings for them. I'd suggest avoiding bread for a few days to see if maybe that's what's causing your hunger. There's an excellent thread that is stickied in our FAQ's about how to introduce Phase 2 into your diet, with many helpful hints and suggestions.

And BTW, congratulations for an excellent weightloss on Phase 1! Hang in there, it will gradually get easier.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #4  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I second the suggestion of natural peanut butter off of a spoon. One tablespoon (measure it!), eaten slowly really seems to calm my cravings.

Maybe try chewing on some ice or drinking water.

My best advice? just go to sleep. when I have nights like that, it is about the only thing to get me past all the cravings, and I feel better in the morning knowing i didn't cave.

good luck!
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:02 PM   #5  

Thank you very much. I think I just needed a "boot in the butt" as my mom would say. A weak moment of feeling sorry for myself and rationalizing how easy the first two weeks were and therefore how okay it is to totally go off the wagon now. I ended up having celery and 2TBSP of PB and then a flat out bread cheese pizza. I feel significantly better.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Watch your grain servings. On day 2 of Phase II and you had cereal, bagel and flat out? That's way too much for me on maintenance and would cause major cravings. I'd eat more protein if I was out of veggies at home....cheese stick, ricotta dessert, boiled eggs, deli meat, etc. The more you plan ahead on SB, the easier it is. Good luck and congrats on a great Phase I!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 212/ticker/170

Height: 5"6'

Have you tried the mocha ricotta creme? I have one every night! I love it and it totally satisfies my cravings.

jess
candle lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:23 AM   #8  

Height: 5'8"

Look carefully at the carbs you added back in. Even though the cereal may be on the approved list, for you it may not work. When I started Phase 2 I added apples and had MAJOR cravings and had to give them up. Apples!! But everyone is different. Start with one grain (eat the same one each day) a day and after a week look at your cravings and see where you are. You have to be careful about this transition. And whole wheat bagels, unless you make them yourself with real ww flour, generally aren't really "whole wheat."
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/159

Height: 5'7"

Everyone is definitely different... I can eat apples, no problem, but no way, no how, can I have cereal for breakfast... I want bread all day if I do that.

Did you have protein for breakfast along with your cereal? Sometimes we forget that the grains and fruits are additions to the Phase 1 meal plan, not substitutions. Protein with your fruits and starches/grains will also help with cravings. I find that I can have 1 slice of WW bread with my egg in the morning, but I can't have it without some protein.

I also think you'd really do better if you moved into Phase 2 a little more slowly. Try adding one thing and do it every day for several days and see how it affects you... If you add several new things at once and have problems, you really don't know what is causing them.

Last edited by 1oftheLuvs; 03-16-2011 at 01:17 PM.
1oftheLuvs is offline   Reply With Quote