South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #1  

Cool Starting Phase 1 today- Advice/buddies?

Heyy SBD ladies!! Today is day 1 of my Phase 1! I just joined the forum a few days ago & discovered this section of the boards & bcame inspired by all your dedication, focus, & #'s lost on this diet!!! Bought my book lastnight, read through it all, and I am so READY to begin!

Sooo I am a former/still/in recovery binger/purger of SWEETS! Anything sugary, fat, gummy, chewy, etc is what I crave... So obviously I'm beginning with Phase 1!

Does it really stop your cravings??! Did it for you? Any advice on sticking out these two weeks?
I have never done a "real" diet plan before in a healthy way so any advice in general would be great...

Also, if anyone is beginning, come "suffer" along JK I am goin a this with a Positive attiitude!

**Just started INsanity workout program today as well... also planning to do lifting in the gym 3x a week (the NEw Rules of LIfting for Women book)!! I think I will start a journal once I figure out the best spot to do that (haha)! Come follow along if you like!
nessy211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: maintaining

Be sure to check out the FAQ section and recipes, up above. Lots of great information and ideas there.

For me, if I really do a clean PH1, the cravings do indeed subside. I found it a tough couple of weeks, especially the first few days, but just kept telling myself I could do anything for two weeks! You may be a bit tired for those workouts - aren't they pretty tough? Eating beans gave me more energy in PH1.

Happy beaching
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaistingTime View Post
Be sure to check out the FAQ section and recipes, up above. Lots of great information and ideas there.

For me, if I really do a clean PH1, the cravings do indeed subside. I found it a tough couple of weeks, especially the first few days, but just kept telling myself I could do anything for two weeks! You may be a bit tired for those workouts - aren't they pretty tough? Eating beans gave me more energy in PH1.

Happy beaching
Thanks! I really REALLY hope I can stick to it... My cravings can be extremley intense but, it really does boil down to mind over matter and how motivated I really am... I would love to be free from food cravings, I cannot even imagine it.
&& Yes, the workouts are tough, but I am used to working out. I've worked out for AT LEAST 1 hour 5x a week for the past 3-4 years.... So I really feel that the fitness plan in the SBD recharged book would definitley not be suited for me..

Does anyone else feel that way? Hmm.. if no one answers, maybe I will put this in a new thread...lol
nessy211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 166.4/156.2/135

Height: 5'5

WELCOME!!!

I am on my last day of P1 , for the second time. I got off track in P2 and let my belly get the best of me this winter. I have lost about 5 pounds the second time around and feel great!! I would agree to keep a very clean p1, i did have a few glasses of red wine to celebrate with some friends and i think that held me back from more loss in p1.

I do power yoga 4 days a week and didnt stop during p1- i think if your body is used to working out keep it up!!!! its soo hard to start back up when you go on a hiatus. maybe just incorporate more portein during you day to help and DONT FORGET YOUR WATER!!! bloating has also been hard for me this time around, i have lowered my salt intake the last few days to see if that helps.

this is a great forum and support group with great food ideas!!

ENJOY AND GOOD LUCK!!! YOU CAN DO IT!
snackiejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #5  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

My suggestions would be :

1) eat your veggies
2)eat your veggies
3) Stock house with diet rite(splenda sweetned cola) curbs the soda craving
4) sugar free gum is your friend.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

, Nessy! I think the others gave great advice, but I would advise to go very easy on the diet soda, if you even have it at all. It's full of chemicals, the very stuff we are trying to avoid on this plan, and studies are showing that drinking diet soda actually causes you to crave more.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #7  
Rebelwithacause

S/C/G: 300/249/175

Height: 6'

nice to meet you and good luck. My advice is patience. When you think you can't make it another minute in phase one, just promise yourself to wait a little longer before you eat something off plan and before you know it the two weeks will be behind you. Do anything you have to do to keep from not eating. I took a lot of extra showers, walked the dog, picked up the phone and called friends, watched a GOOD movie, whatever........it does work and after the first few days, things will be so much easier. Yes my cravings are gone as long as I follow the plan.
TallandThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #8  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I had never followed a "diet plan" before I started SBD. I found this group just as I started P1 and quickly gathered that the cravings really did go away but I needed to do the footwork by completing a totally clean P1. I did that, although I'll say that I actually had a harder time near the end of the two week. Yes, it did exactly that-my cravings did go away. I no longer felt hungry all the time as my blood sugar normalized.

My tidbit of advice would be to come here and post daily. It takes awhile to get to know everyone, but I have found that my single most successful decision which has helped me to stay on track has been signing on and saying hello every single day. This group is my lifeline.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #9  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

My two cents worth:

Vary your recipes. There's lots of great ones here. You'll discover new foods and won't get bored.

Also eat at least the 4 1/2 cups of veggies, more if you can. You'll be totally full and they're good for preventing constipation.

Don't be afraid to eat the nuts, but don't eat more than recommended. They're wonderfully satisfying!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/159

Height: 5'7"

I think you'll be surprised at how well Phase 1 will work to reduce those sweet cravings, you'll feel liberated after eating clean for a couple of weeks.

My suggestion is to make sure to get in 2 cups of LF/NF dairy and a couple of servings of beans every day during Phase 1. You may feel a little tired and have headaches for the first few days; the dairy and beans will help keep feeling that way to a minimum.
1oftheLuvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #11  

nessy, I started Phase 1 today too, so count me in!

Walking and lots of movement will be my form of exercise for the time being.

I agree, this is such a great forum. I lurked for quite a while before I took the plunge.
iluvgreentea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #12  

Height: 5'4"

Phase 1 - so many people here have great advice.

Mine is just to really, really plan your day - leaving things out is never a good idea. Eat all your meals and snacks, and make sure to VARY things.

getting bored = frustration = temptation

These boards have tons of great meal ideas. Sometimes all I had to do was read them and it made me feel better!
ultimatebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 212/ticker/170

Height: 5"6'

WELCOME!!! I must say that the few times I had cravings I would jump on here and look at all the weight these wonderful beachers have lost! It is so motivating. Be sure to check out all the recipes on here for phase 1 and don't skip your snacks. Also, I found that a quick walk or workout really took my mind off food.

You can do it!!!

-Jess
candle lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 168/159.6/139

Height: 5'6"

Welcome! Try not to stress the cravings. There are plenty of on-plan options for desserts. I love FF plain yogurt with homemade SF fudge and nuts, or shakes made in blender with milk and ice cubes. You can even make versions of cheesecake. I try to save them for when I am really craving a dessert You will be fine if you just tell yourself you are doing this and that's that. Hope you enjoy it!
NicoleInCt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #15  

I've been in phase 1 for a week. I've felt more satasfied with the sweets with the ricotta muffin recipie on here (I put unsweetned baking cocoa in it, and peices of almond on top). I've made three batches of them in a week. Also If I want something quick I just make a hot cocoa drink- just the cocoa with sweetner...it doesn't taste that bad. This is the 3rd time I've been on this diet (spanning 5 years) and I find it so much easier now. I've became much more creative in cooking so that has helped. There are so many different combinations of food you can you to make this as painless as possible, just be creative- most foods can go well together. Also, my craving took 3-4 days without carbs to go away. I still have somewhat of a hard time bc I have to cook my sons "regular" food (last night was fish sticks and fries- night before was pizza and that is pure torture still but that's expected I assume.
MirandaS30 is offline   Reply With Quote