Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:01 AM   #1  
active kids, active mom

Default Incredible Offensive Blog Post at MArie Claire

Have you read this?

http://www.marieclaire.com/sex-love/...ision#comments

The comments are great really.

ANy thoughts?
knitsforfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

WOW. thats horrible
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #3  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I just read this. And initially my reaction was to be a bit upset. But then I got past the language and paid attention to what the writer was saying, and really, I sort of have to agree. I AM a fat person, and I do not like watching fat people make out, or on the beach or whatever. Ironic huh! But the writer is also correct, in saying that being obese is essentially a choice. We have all chosen to live this way and make these bad choices, and now we are all choosing not to. Yes it is hard, yes it is not comfortable, but lets face it folks, being easy and comfortable and not making hard decisions is why we are where we are.

All that being said, I fully realize that I am probably not the "norm" when it comes to my opinion on this matter, in fact I never have the "normal" opinion about anything. LOL.

So while the article at first upset me, I was not "offended" in any way over it. It is the truth in the harsh glare of sunlight. And, it has served to kick start me out of the slump I was feeling in this week. So..yay!
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 333/238/150

Height: 5 ft 6 in

I love the addendum at the bottom from the author where she says "i'm really sorry if i offended you.." but not for what she said. It looks like she's trying to cover her butt for saying it. And please note that she is an anorexic and has never had an issue with being overweight because of it. THAT is the most disturbing part.
amber961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #5  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

Hmm...

1) Since when is depicting something "promoting" it? It's not like the characters break into song and dance about how AWESOME it is to be overweight! I'd say it's pretty realistic. Also, the characters met at an OA meeting...that indicates that they have recognized their weight issues. Doesn't sound like complacency...I doubt any of the episodes consist of the characters sitting on the couch feeding each other jelly donuts...oh, and making out, let's not forget all that disgusting making out they do.....

2) This article makes me want to watch the show. I haven't yet, but I feel the need to now. I could see where a comedy sitcom with two heavier lead characters could very easily take the "fat" jokes too far, but then, every sitcom has it's "thing".

3) With all that being said, I respect blatant honesty. This author has no tact and is rather crude, rude and cruel...but a lot of people probably think exactly the way she does and just don't have the nerve (or ignorance? lol) to admit it.

4) Television shows these days are FULL of healthy weight or thin or in a lot of cases, underweight actors and actresses. It is moving towards fair and closer to realistic to have a show like this. The real world is not full of Sarah Jessica Parkers and Calista Flockharts.

Last edited by ThicknPretty; 10-27-2010 at 10:11 AM.
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 193/182/135

Height: 5'4"

IMO I find it disgusting. People should be thin to be aesthetically pleasing to HER? gag. Obviously "super thin Hollywood" hasn't motivated America to be thin, because it isn't happening. I just think you should be a little bit more sensitive when bashing entire groups of people in a public place.
LoveRyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 150/150/135

Height: 5'7"

I for one, am just plain tired of looking at so many people who look the same. I got a magazine the other day and I thought the woman on the cover was three different actresses before I got to the text and saw that it was someone else. I like seeing all kinds of people - short, tall, fat, average, bald, bearded, glasses, and all kinds of ethnicities. I don't care if it's two women in a relationship or two men. But the fact that overweight people stir this kind of anger in others who may not be overweight, has got to be the symptom of a larger issue. Because honestly, unless you're sitting next to someone in a tiny airplane (and this is true of tall, muscular line-backer types too), why should someone else's size be so bothersome? I think it's a control issue and an irrational need for the comfort of conformity. The most offensive thing to me was that so many people gave this writer the time of day.
flippychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Wow, that blogger is one shallow b*tch. As one of the comments noted, this should have never gotten by an editor.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #9  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

I watch Mike & Molly, because Melissa McCarthy cracks me up. (She's Jenny McCarthy's cousin!) She cracked me up as Sooki on Gilmore Girls, too. On Gilmore Girls, she was overweight (and was pregnant on it too!) and it was never brought up. She was just her best friend/business partner, and that was it. That's how it should be.

As far as the author to say it "disgusts" her to watch that, then... Maybe she shouldnt leave her house. Because, FAT PEOPLE ARE EVERYWHERE! Omg! Run, hide! Ignorace is bliss, apparently.

And the fat jokes on Mike & Molly are slowly getting fewer and farther between, and they both still talk about eating less... So, points for trying. But at least the look like normal people and not 12 lb actors!

ETA: http://celebritybabies.people.com/20...regnant-woman/

Last edited by kateleestar; 10-27-2010 at 10:51 AM.
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #10  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 256/231.4/180

Height: 5'5"

That whole article was just wrong on soooo many levels. The "apology" at the end was almost as offensive.

For the record, I'm a huge Mike & Molly fan, so I might be a little biased. Also, I would hardly call a couple of kisses on the couch - "making out". I think they're sweet. I think the writing is hilarious - even with the fat jokes - I guess that's just me though - and I might be a little harder to offend. That said, its a TV show....if you're offended - change the channel. Simple!
liway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 190.2/178.4/150

Height: 5'5

I dislike the show she is talking about not because it is not funny and there is a constant barrage of fat "jokes." Roseanne had two overweight/obese main characters but did not make weight the central theme.

Although the writer was extremely nasty in her post, she is right - for the most part it is something you can control, that is what we are all doing on this website. But she obviously has some major personal issues with her own self image and weight and no one should have this one person's opinion determine their self worth.
Jelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

I wonder how she felt as an anorexic when people thought they could "fix" her by telling her she looked disgustingly thin and she should just eat a little something. I mean, if it's just that easy and all, it must work both ways.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #13  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

Height: 5'5"

I can't believe that this article actually made it past an editor. With that said, as angry as I was when I first read it. It makes me wonder. How many people think this about me when I used to be in public with my ex? We held hands, hugged, kissed... in public... did that gross people out? If it did, at least those people were smart enough to keep it to themselves... while this woman apparently felt it was her right to degrade all "obese" people. Her apology is pathetic, and only there to try and save her job! If you haven't read the editors stand on the article yet... read this...

http://fashionista.com/2010/10/exclu...ist-blog-post/
KimL1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #14  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

i couldn't load the article. i hated the title. from the comments it sounds like i would've hated it. i didn't grow up over weight. i was on the higher end of the normal range. but one of my sisters and i are almost the same age. growing up i really tried to empathize. now that i'm obese myself, i understand much more. i just generally feel so much empathy for the 'fat' people. we have the same mental struggle thin or fat. so many thin women obsess about how they look, or losing weight. it's just so wrong for the skinny people to make it such a big deal, or act like fat people are a different species or something.

and i looved sooki too! i watch parenthood just for the mom from gilmore girls. oh i used to love that show. i guess it's how i wish i could be with my single parent mom.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #15  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Wow- Just WOW.

I have to agree with those that say don't watch it then. I mean really- it's a sitcom I doubt they are doing anything crazy like we see in the movies.

To be honest insanely long intimate scenes with even thin people bother me cuz I'm like get to the story! lol.

Bottom line the author needs to get over herself. She's probably one of those lucky people who eats all sorts of junk and is just naturally thin. If she were in my body eating the diet she most likely does she'd probably be 300 lbs.

Btw I totally agree with this comment here:

You say, "I think obesity is something that most people have a ton of control over. It's something they can change, if only they put their minds to it." I would say the same for being a jerk. Hopefully you'll take it to heart.

ZING!!!!

Last edited by beerab; 10-27-2010 at 11:16 AM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote