Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 03-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #1  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Default So confused on bra size

I noticed recently that my bra doesn't fit very well so I took my measurements and I went from a 36" underbust size to 33.5" and around my bust I went from 46" to 44". Now I'm trying to figure out my bra size. What I thought it was is that I have a 34 band size and then I have a 10" difference, which would give me a cupsize of J, right?

Well, if I look online and put in those measurements I've gotten anything from a 36J to a 40D . Seriously, isn't there any standard way of calculating this??????

I'd really like to know because it looks like I need to order my bras online now (I used to be able to get away with buying them from Lane Bryant or any plus size store and just going up to a 38 band size but now the band size is just getting way too big) and I live outside of the US so shipping is really expensive (locally I just can't find anything).

Last edited by runningfromfat; 03-12-2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: I initially put the wrong measurements for my bust size.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I've had to start ordering mine online and haven't gone wrong with Nordstrom! I took my measurements around the band (like you're supposed to!) and around the bust, and bam! Their size charts fit me and I didn't even try them on! When I went to Maidenform and got fitted they measured my BAND up and around my bust? :duh: What? That added a whopping six inches to my band and the band is the most important dag-gone part! I am a 32 and they wanted to put me in a 38? I fought them and purchased a 36 but of course it didn't fit.

Bras are one of my rants. But I like Nordstroms quite a lot and they carry a wide range of sizes at least online.

Last edited by Eliana; 03-12-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #3  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
I've had to start ordering mine online and haven't gone wrong with Nordstrom! I took my measurements around the band (like you're supposed to!) and around the bust, and bam! Their size charts fit me and I didn't even try them on! When I went to Maidenform and got fitted they measured my BAND up and around my bust? :duh: What? That added a whopping six inches to my band and the band is the most important dag-gone part! I am a 32 and they wanted to put me in a 38? I fought them and purchased a 36 but of course it didn't fit.

Bras are one of my rants. But I like Nordstroms quite a lot and they carry a wide range of sizes at least online.
Bras are also one of my rants too. It's sooo hard to find a good bra.

So when you bought your bras from them did you add the 2" to your band size or not? Because their size chart says that if you have a 34" under bust then you should get a band size of 36? So I would then be a 36J?

Also, it has UK sizes on there... what's the conversion for that?

I'm so confused!
Old 03-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #4  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

I wouldn't add any inches to the band size. It should fit snuggly on the loosest setting - if you add the inches, you'll have to use it on the tightest setting. UK size vs US sizes usually have to do with whether there are sizes like DD, DDD, FF, GG, HH, etc. It's one inch per size either way, so you just have to look at the way the particular bra you're interested in is sized. Based on your measurements, you're probably a J cup, but only if there are no double or triple sizes in the line. So if the line goes A,B,C,D,DD (E),DDD(F), F(G), FF(H), G(I), GG(J) - you'd be a GG (the sizes I put in parentheses are the straight sizes with no monkey business with double sizes). But some lines will have DD, but no DDD or DD and DDD, but no FF or GG, etc. So you need to see what sizes it's made in and count up 10 sizes from an A cup.

And bras are a huge rant for me, too!
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #5  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I wouldn't add any inches to the band size. It should fit snuggly on the loosest setting - if you add the inches, you'll have to use it on the tightest setting. UK size vs US sizes usually have to do with whether there are sizes like DD, DDD, FF, GG, HH, etc. It's one inch per size either way, so you just have to look at the way the particular bra you're interested in is sized. Based on your measurements, you're probably a J cup, but only if there are no double or triple sizes in the line. So if the line goes A,B,C,D,DD (E),DDD(F), F(G), FF(H), G(I), GG(J) - you'd be a GG (the sizes I put in parentheses are the straight sizes with no monkey business with double sizes). But some lines will have DD, but no DDD or DD and DDD, but no FF or GG, etc. So you need to see what sizes it's made in and count up 10 sizes from an A cup.

And bras are a huge rant for me, too!
Thanks, see now that's what I thought but the stupid size chart there said I was supposed to add 2 inches! I know for me a tight band that fits is by far the most important thing because I have such a large cup size. I can't imagine how much back pain someone would had if they actually added those 5+ inches to the band size every time that some websites suggest. Like the one who said I was supposed to be a 40D that would just kill me!

Why is there all this nonsense about adding inches to the band size in the first place? Do they want to make bras more confusing on purpose????

ETA: It looks like Nordstrom only goes up to 34H in a lot of sizes that I like, grrrr!!!!

Last edited by runningfromfat; 03-12-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #6  
June

Oh, and another question... we're moving to a place with a pool and I'd really like to pick up another swimming suit. Any good places that sell by cupsize?
Old 03-12-2011, 12:53 PM   #7  
Calorie counter

I agree, don't add inches. I didn't even catch that on their size chart.

I have read if your actual size is an odd number, you round up. If it's an even number, it is what it is.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #8  
June

Quote:
I agree, don't add inches. I didn't even catch that on their size chart.

I have read if your actual size is an odd number, you round up. If it's an even number, it is what it is.
No problem. So I found this website for swimming suits: http://www.biggerbras.com/m-swimwear.shtml and it looks like I could order by cup size and there I'd be a 34GG from what I understand. That being said I now have no clue what size bottoms I would wear! Why does this have to be so complicated?

And how in the world did people find clothes that fit before the internet??
Old 03-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #9  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post

And how in the world did people find clothes that fit before the internet??
Haha! Seriously!

I was thinking I'm going to have to go try on suits and will likely get a top that is two sizes bigger than bottoms.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #10  
June

Quote:
Haha! Seriously!

I was thinking I'm going to have to go try on suits and will likely get a top that is two sizes bigger than bottoms.
Yep, I tried that! I actually was in motherhood maternity not too long ago because I thought they would have larger cup sizes. Well, the DID have a size that fit more or less but it was about 3 sizes bigger than the bottoms that fit and they wouldn't let me just buy the top with the smaller bottoms. I think I'm going to have to pay quite a bit for a suit that fits and then it probably won't even fit that long for that matter!
Old 03-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #11  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
Yep, I tried that! I actually was in motherhood maternity not too long ago because I thought they would have larger cup sizes. Well, the DID have a size that fit more or less but it was about 3 sizes bigger than the bottoms that fit and they wouldn't let me just buy the top with the smaller bottoms. I think I'm going to have to pay quite a bit for a suit that fits and then it probably won't even fit that long for that matter!
Then what's the point of selling them separately?
Old 03-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #12  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

I'm going to need a new suit this summer, too, and I'm not looking forward to it. Even when I was tiny in college, I was never confident enough to wear a two piece, but one pieces never fit right - either the top is too small or the bottoms are too big, or there's zero support in the bust (which I've never figured out - if you make a suit big enough to fit my G cups, put a freaking bra in it! One that actually holds breasts up! I know no woman with boobs as big as me that wants to be all floppy in her swim suit!!!). I think I'm going to look for a tanikini style that fully covers the stomach, but I can buy different sized tops and bottoms.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #13  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I'm going to need a new suit this summer, too, and I'm not looking forward to it. Even when I was tiny in college, I was never confident enough to wear a two piece, but one pieces never fit right - either the top is too small or the bottoms are too big, or there's zero support in the bust (which I've never figured out - if you make a suit big enough to fit my G cups, put a freaking bra in it! One that actually holds breasts up! I know no woman with boobs as big as me that wants to be all floppy in her swim suit!!!). I think I'm going to look for a tanikini style that fully covers the stomach, but I can buy different sized tops and bottoms.
I totally, totally, totally agree. I HATE it that bathing suits are just about the east supportive thing ever. Why in the world do they think bathings suits are an excuse for zero support?

But, yeah, I'm looking for a tankini also because I'm afraid of the mismatch. Plus nobody needs to see my belly at this point of time anyways.

Quote:
Then what's the point of selling them separately?

Seriously, I have no clue!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #14  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

That adding the inches thing is a throwback to olden days before modern elastics. It is perversely lingering on like some myth we cannot get rid of!

Quote:
I noticed recently that my bra doesn't fit very well so I took my measurements and I went from a 36" underbust size to 33.5" and around my bust I went from 46" to 44". Now I'm trying to figure out my bra size. What I thought it was is that I have a 34 band size and then I have a 10" difference, which would give me a cupsize of J, right?
Under bust = 33.5 = 34 band size.
Fullest part of bust = 44. 44-34 = 10.
10 inch diff is is a US K.

So your ball park is a 34 K. Fine tune in person though -- try a bunch on and go one up or down. You know how the bra styles can influence things -- a strapless vs a plunge vs a balconette and so on. But you were figuring more or less in the right ball park. You are going to maybe want to try 34 J,K, L. Def on the 34, but fine tuney on the cups.

Breast should fill cups out nicely and smoothly. Not breast spillage over the top or the sides of the too small cup. No loose puckery fabric around the breast in a too large cup. Bend over so the girls point down and put the bra on and hook and stand back up. Or put it on standing up and reach in both sides to get the girls up and centered inside their cups.

There's no reason you can't wear a bra with a bathing suit too. I wouldn't do your best bra, because of the chlorine or salt water or whatever. But yeah -- bathing suits are way unsupportive!

GL!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-12-2011 at 07:08 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #15  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

I have found that bra size doesn't really mean much. After wearing ill fitting ones over the past few years I went and was "fitted" at a specialty store. Underbust measurement was 32". I ended up with a 30 FF in one style and a 30 F in another. I really wish retailers would start carrying sizes that actually fit most women correctly.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote