General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2001, 07:04 PM   #1  

Robin, took your advice and started an new thread.

I am taking Merida and although I would not want to give anyone the wrong impression--it is not a wonder drug, but it has done wonders for me. When I began, at the end of January, I had a bit over 100 lbs to lose (25 lbs gone so far). Obviously with that much to lose I had a HUGH appetite.

I had gained my weight, after a car accident, in a period of about 5 years. I had tried for the past 2 years to take the weight off. I tried the "begin on Monday" diet. Then when that didn't work, I cut down on food intake gradually. I just couldn't do it. I would suceed for days, weeks, and then begin to eat more out of control than ever.

After about a week on Merida, my appetite decreased noticably. I almost couldn't believe it. I could eat sensibly and not feel like I was starving. Of couse, I am eating low fat, drinking plenty of water, and exercising. I am IN CONTROL. My highlight was actually last night. For the first time since beginning I went to dinner at a friend's home. She had all these delicious appetizers, served chicken, ribs, mashed potatoes, caesar salad and yummy deserts. I had small portions of chicken, salad and potatoes--no appetizers or deserts. And, most importantly, I enjoyed myself without having to eat everything.

I'm sure that some portion of this is "mind over matter' but so what, it works for me.

If you read any prior posts, I am well monitored by my doctor, an endricronologist, who sees me once a month. I also did not have high blood pressure, problems with chlosterol (sp), or any other factors that would have perhaps prevented my from taking Merida. The only negative side effect I have experienced so far is dry mouth.

Good luck to you and let us know, when you begin.
Old 04-03-2001, 10:44 AM   #2  

Default started this morning....

i just popped my first meridia.....to soon to tell if it is working..i will keep ya posted...i too have about 80-90lbs to lose and i have to see my dr in 30 days for a check up before he will give me another months prescription. i printed out all my ediets information and am starting that eating plan today....i did it over the summer last year and it is pretty easy to follow. they have me on 1900 cals a day.

going to fix a nutritious brkfst!!! gotta go...robin
Old 04-03-2001, 11:12 AM   #3  

Default Hi from Joan

I know my screen name is a little annoying. Does anyone know how to change screen names? Anyway, Meridia also does wonders in controlling MY appetite. It is the first thing I have used that has controlled it. I thought you all would find this information from www.mayoclinic.com interesting (they have a great web site).

Sibutramine is a prescription medication approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for aiding in weight loss. It works by blocking the re-uptake of serotonin and norepinephrine in the body, thereby enhancing the feeling of being "full" and reducing overall food intake.

Sibutramine is no panacea. People who use the drug still need to exercise and restrict calories. And, the weight loss associated with the use of sibutramine is conservative. In a yearlong trial, people who used sibutramine had an average weight loss of only about 10 pounds more than people who followed only calorie-reduced diets.

Sibutramine, however, also has been shown to help maintain weight loss over long periods. In another study, 75 percent of those who took the drug sustained 100 percent of lost weight at 12 months compared with 42 percent of people who received an inactive substance (placebo).

Anyone thinking about using sibutramine should first consult his or her doctor. Sibutramine is a controlled substance. It was approved for use by people who are clinically obese, defined as:

Having a Body Mass Index (BMI) greater than or equal to 30
or

Having a BMI greater than 27 and medical risk factors such as high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, and obstructive sleep apnea.
People who have any of the following conditions should not use sibutramine:

Uncontrolled or poorly controlled high blood pressure. Sibutramine can significantly increase blood pressure in some people. Those who take the drug should monitor their blood pressure regularly.
Coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, arrhythmia or stroke
Liver or kidney dysfunction
Untreated or undiagnosed hypothyroidism
Anorexia nervosa
Sibutramine also should not be used by someone who is:

Age 16 or younger
Pregnant or breast-feeding an infant
Using monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIS) such as selegiline hydrocholoride (Eldepryl), phenelzine sulfate (Nardil), or tranylcypromine sulfate (Parnate). These medications must be stopped for a minimum of 2 weeks before starting sibutramine.
Taking serotonergic agents used for depression such as fluoxetine hydrocholoride (Prozac), sertraline hydrocholride (Zoloft), or paroxetine hydrochloride (Paxil).
Using other prescription weight loss medications such as phentermine or over-the-counter and herbal medications supposedly effective in weight loss.
People who use prescribed migraine headache medications or who take prescription pain relievers such as meperidine hydrochloride (Demerol), fentanyl (Duragesic), or pentazocine hydrochloride (Talwin) also should not use sibutramine.

Check with your doctor if you take cough suppressants, tryptophan, or lithium. These medications have been reported to be associated with a rare, but serious "serotonin syndrome" which requires immediate medical attention.
Old 04-05-2001, 10:04 PM   #4  

Hey Everbody! I've been trying to get online all week!
I've got to get DSL. Although wireless internet has just come out, I wonder how long that will take to come to Central Illinois.

Hey Nikolas, you're right, it is amazing that there is no
one size fits all weight loss. The last time I was on the food program I'm on now, I really liked it but now I don't think I can stay on it. I'm finding I can't avoid eating out at least once or twice a week and the Meridia is working almost too well on my appetite. I have NEVER been a picky eater, so I never minded not being able to choose my meals, but now it's driving me crazy. I'm spending too much money to throw away so much. It's funny because I hadn't noticed just how miraculous Meridias effects have been. I've become finicky!!! Never thought that would happen.
Old 04-05-2001, 10:45 PM   #5  

I have been taking Meridia for 7 days now. I have not found it to be as good as Redux was for me. With Redux I felt "normal" and was hungry, ate a regular amount and got full. Meridia has helped a little bit, but you still really have to watch what you eat.

I have had no side effects, not even a dry mouth. The pharmacist said I would feel dizzy and light headed for a few days, but that didn't happen either. It is just another thing that if you work it, it will work for you. This is an interesting thread because most people are doing different things and are different sizes. I say do whatever works for you. Let's just get healthier!
Old 04-05-2001, 11:11 PM   #6  

Default hello...

well today was day 3 and so far so good...on ediets i plan my menus for the week and doing good following until tonight...dh had a late meeting and i had to take the baby with me to take my oldest to his art class, so i had an hour to kill and then had to drive thru to get dinner when all that was over because everyone was starving...i went through jack in the box and not even the little bit interested in the sour dough jack hamburger and fries...i ordered a chicken teriyaki bowl and that was that....since i really didn't have any veggies i ate 2 oranges for a snack and not hungry at all...usually at night is when i get into trouble...i stay up late and raid the pantry...haven't done that for the past 3 nights!

nikolas - that is great 25lbs in 8-10 wks? i have had dry mouth too...that seems to be the only side affect...i need to start exercising, i lost the little key thing to my treadmill....i am going to have to see if somebody sells those.

don'tworrybehappy - thanks for the meridia info...

dakota - do you not feel normal on the meridia? i feel fine, my appetite has just decreased alot.

i have to go get another load out of the dryer..it seems like i have been doing laundry steady for the last 2 days!!!!

bye..robin
Old 04-06-2001, 09:08 PM   #7  

dakota-----my Merida info told me that it took 1-2 weeks before the Merida "kicked" in, so don't worry if you don't feel its effects as yet. It will supress your appetite just give it more time. However, I know it is not redux. Evidently from what I've read redux was more like "speed" so it really curbed your appetite. Don't worry about cutting down on food intake---give it another week and take the stress off of yourself. Check in.

Don't Worry---thanks for the info. It reminds us that we need to be careful and watch for potential side effects.

CeeCee-----you may want to start looking thru low fat cookbooks and coming up with easy recipes that you can rotate throughout the week and have the leftovers for lunch. I take tuna, turkey breast (from the deli), eggs with a tiny bit of light mayo, and then leftovers from my evening meals for my lunches. I drink a can of V8 juice every day at lunch so I don't have to drag veggies and fruit, both fresh and in cans. I know it is so easy to use preplanned meals but as you say it is so expensive.

Robin-----sounds like you are off to a great start. Wait until the Merida really goes to work the weight will be falling off. I too love to stay up late at night, usually to read. I still get ansy so I have treated my self to a blow pop every night. (I am a real sweet eater).

I have just switched to one of Richard Simmons hour tapes (Broadway Sweat) and was able to keep up for almost 40 minutes tonight. Our group leader says we MUST exercise. I am finding that my weight loss has slowed down so know that I have to do more to raise my metabolism.

Well this is a loooooong post. Facing another weekend with good eating habits. Hope everyone does well.
Old 04-07-2001, 10:49 AM   #8  

Default woo hoo!!!!

I just stepped on the scale this morning and have lost 5 lbs!!!! in 4 days!!! and it is that TOM, which i know i have some water gain....i am very excited....

I have been following my ediets plan of 1900 cals a day, i may skip a salad here and there though, they have me eating 4 cups of salad a day..i can handle 2 well and then i usually just cut up a cucumber or something for the 2nd one. i am allowed 190 cals for a snack, they have ideas on my meal plan, which i use or if i am craving something sweet, like icecream..my favorite...i eat those skinny cow icecream sandwiches, only 130 cals and 2g of fat...delicious.

well it is officially the weekend, the time i tend to screw up my diet, but after stepping on the scale this morning i am destined to succeed!!!

just wanted to share my news...will check in later..robin
Old 04-07-2001, 11:53 AM   #9  

Default Hi everyone

Well, I was afraid to step on the scale because when we went to Miami I wasn't watching it too well but I have lost another two pounds for a total of 10 pounds lost now. This is a milestone for me because I was gaining and losing the same 7 - 8 pounds for about 5 - 7 years. I know if I continue this I'll be able to lose the remaining 15 - 20 pounds and fluctuate between 140 - 148. I'm 5' 6" and I feel & look thin at that weight.

Robin - good luck - you have a lot of motivation and I think you're going to succeed. I like the flowers in your post - how do you do that?

Nikolas - you are living proof having lost over 25 pounds that if you're motivated you can do it. I think in the literature they give people saying the average weight loss is around 10 pounds is to cover themselves because the people doing the study thought they may have a placebo and maybe not the real thing and who knows how motivated they were and if they exercised or not. I'm exercising three times a week for an hour (walking on my treadmill). Now I can walk outside for an hour if I feel like it because it's getting nice out. TTYL
Old 04-08-2001, 12:33 AM   #10  

Default helloooo...

before i forget, i was going to tell you how to get the picture under your name.

at the top of the page look for profile, and click it..that will bring up your profile.
next, click edit options
scroll to the bottom and it says avatar (i have no idea what this means) click on change avatar.
that will bring up 21 pics, click on one and it will magically appear under your name.

well there we go...alot of people have custom pictures, i do not know how to do those....i am just happy that i figured this out.

this weekend going pretty good so far, i am hosting a tupperware party tomorrow..my sis sells it...i have noticed its not that popular anymore, everyone here really seems to be into pampered chef stuff...i guess because you can get rubbermaid cheaper and it seems to be just as good as the tupperware. after the party we are taking her out to the cheesecake factory for dinner!!! yikes!!!! i am trying to plan ahead what i am going to eat, and of course no cheesecake...bummer...
i am going to have to get some charms blow pops, that should take care of my sweet tooth, or tootsie roll pops?? one of them....

guess i'll go to bed now...have a busy day tomorrow.

later..robin
Old 04-08-2001, 09:48 PM   #11  

Just checking in---thanks for the info Robin. Hope I now have a picture under my name.

Robin=== what a great jump start. I too lost quite a bit at first, 7 lbs in the first week but then of course it slowed down. Wow 4 cups of salad a day. I am lucky if I eat two salads a week. The # of calories sounds right also. If your body thinks it is being starved it just says "Forget it" and shuts down so that you can't lose any weight. Obviously this is not the medical explanation but glad I know it now. When I first started to try to get this weight off, I cut back to 1000 calories a day and it did not work

Don't Worry=== it is fantastic that you have lost 10 lbs.....I love those even #s. I am 5'7" and at 145 lbs, I am able to wear a size 10 so that is my goal weight also. Think the height helps me carry the weight though not the weight I'm carrying around now. I would have to be 7'5" and then, maybe, I'd look OK.

Had a good food weekend. Went to a friend's house for dinner tonight and was very careful. We brought all the fixings for ice cream sundaes and (sniffle, sniffle) I was able to keep my lips off the goodies. Brought my seltzer water and just kept drinking.

Have a good beginning of the week
Old 04-08-2001, 10:17 PM   #12  

Default Hi

Thanks for telling me how to add the picture to my posts. I have a few ideas on low fat eating. If you get a take-out pizza, don't eat the cheese - scrape off as much as possible but if you like mushrooms and green pepper have those ingredients like I do. Always have a lot of inviting, washed fruit and vegetables in plain site when you open your refrigerator. Keep a sandwich-size Ziploc bag of Jolly Ranchers in your purse. I get the giant bags of Jolly Ranchers at Sam's Club - you really can't crunch these down real fast. In the morning if I'm hungry and have time I put one cup oatmeal (regular kind, not instant); one cup milk and one cup water in a microwaveable pan. Microwave on medium for 7 minutes. Top with low-calorie maple syrup. Sounds like a lot of oatmeal but you will be surprised how this fills you up for a long time. TTYL (Talk to you later)
Old 04-09-2001, 12:12 PM   #13  

Default hello hello.....

well, i am glad to see everyone has a lovely picture under their name...

today is day 7 on meridia, but i had to weigh for ediets because i signed up on a monday...anyway...6 days following my plan i have lost 7 lbs!!!!!!! yeah me....

yes, i know it will slow down this week but i am just enjoying the 7 gone now....aaahhh ..i feel lighter already actually, the good thing was i have been floundering between 245 and 250 forever it seems, and haven't been able to get past 245 and this morning i was at 243!!! that is a big accomplishment for me. i am also going to start walking this week.

jolly ranchers, that is a good idea..i will have to remember that...

nikolas - i was at the cheesecake factory last night eating my salmon salad and not having cheesecake!! i can sympathize with ya about the sundaes.

gotta go check on my boys...bye ..robin
Old 04-09-2001, 02:27 PM   #14  
Elle

Hi,

I have been contemplating taking Merida. I just need something to give me a little help. I know I need to eat right AND exercize, but I always seem to get off track....

I have been afraid to take Merida, but have been reading all your posts and am encouraged to try it. About a year ago I went to a diet clinic advertised Merida. When I got there the doctor wouldn't give it to me, he said he was afraid it was going to be another Phen-Phen. He gave me Phendermetrazine(sp?) which I told him I cannot take, it makes me feel awful, heart palpations, jittery.... So he gave me a different dosage. It did not help.

I was wondering where you go to get Merida? A regular doctor? Anybody have any bad side effects?

Thanks,
Elle
Old 04-10-2001, 10:41 PM   #15  

Elle===== my Merida was prescribed by an endricronologist who heads the Obesity Clinic at a hospital here in Boston. However, any doctor can prescribe Merida. In my case, I did not go looking for Merida or any medication. I just made an appointment with this doctor (waited 4 months to see him) and after getting info from my primary, taking my history and running some tests he and I discussed options. I just chose Merida. The only side effects that I have had is dry mouth. However, I am monitered carefully. Merida is not like phenphen, and it should not make you jittery. Hope this helps--Good luck.

Don't Worry=====thanks for the suggestions. Think I will try the oatmeal. Bet it does make you full.

Robin======7 lbs in six days--SUPER. It is so satisfying to get under a weight that has been impossible to do before. I have sooooooo much weight to lose that I just try and take it one day at a time. People are starting to notice my loss now and although I'm pleased, I don't want to lose focus.

Keep on going everyone.
Closed Thread