Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 01:11 AM   #1  

Default Just need to vent

Okay, I had to get back on here, I keep snacking (actually for the past couple of days) and I don't know what else to do. Kids are asleep so I can't do anything that makes too much noise. Tried reading, listening to my walkman, I even even managed to choke down an extra 30 oz of water, and I still feel like eating. I keep picking at a hamburger, and the fries that the rest of the family had for dinner, so I threw the rest of the fries in the disposer. I have already eaten enough for today. This is the first munching attack I have had so far. I probobly wouldn't feel so bad, except I was only able to walk 1.5 miles today. I feel like i'm totally starting to fall off the wagon, or something. I was all Gung-Ho when I first started and now it's like I'm starting to slow down, this always happens, and then eventually I just quit. I don't want to do that. I REALLY need to get my motivation back, I don't know if it's because I'm just stressed out right now or what. So I guess if you all could grab onto this line and yank me backup to where you are to give me a swift kick in the (__l__) I could really use it. Okay thanks for letting me vent, I needed that. I'm going to try to go back to bed to see if that will help. Thanks for listening!!! Talk to you all later!!!!
Old 04-30-2003, 01:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 235/194/140

Height: 5'7

I'm so sorry that you're having the munchies. Mine are simply awful! -Only I don't have your willpower. I give over every time! I'm just now starting anew. I think I stopped around August of last year. I've stayed the same weight (give or take 5 pounds) so I guess I've done okay.

Anyway, I hope that tomorrow will be better for you. Mind over matter...

Later Gator!
Old 04-30-2003, 11:04 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Before I start here, Let me just send you a HUGE HUG !!

Okay you asked for it, here's your first kick
{{{___*___}}} <--BOING !

I'm quoting you now "I probobly wouldn't feel so bad, except I was ONLY able to walk 1.5 miles today. "

ONLY !!! ONLY !!!! Lady, my dear Lady... ONLY !! do you know how good that is ? I don't even do 1/2 a mile and your saying ONLY.... here comes kick #2 {{{___*___}}} <--BOING ! Give yourself some credit here huh. If you can do a mile and a 1/2 then you must be doing something right, look how far you've come, don't give up on that now. SLAP SLAP SLAP !!!!!!!! Thats so awesome, keep going huh.

Next !! I of all people know how hard the snacking thing is. There's probably nothing I can say to stop you, you'll have to say it to yourself. Talk yourself OUT of eating it, leave the room, throw it away immediately, tell your hubby, kids to throw their food in the garbage when they leave the table... YELL AT THEM TO DO IT (but nicely). YELL FOR HELP !!! squeeky wheel gets the oil.....I tell my hubby all the time....GET RIDE OF IT OR I'LL EAT IT. I have to remind him almost every day but so what, it helps !!

Don't do this to yourself !!
Don't do this to YOURSELF !!
DON'T DO THIS TO YOURSELF !!!!

Food is just not worth it, it will be her long after we are gone. We only got one shot at this life, lets enjoy it while we can, lets be happy and healthy for us and our kids !!

Even in your post, I can hear you talking yourself out of dieting, your confirming that its okay to do this... Stop !! Say to yourself its not okay, this is not something you really want.

Gee......I'm grinding my teeth writing this you know why, cause your just like me and I'd hate to see you miserable.

Do yah hate me yet ? ohhh and can I have my shoe back ?

ROFL.....

Good luck, let us know how your doing okay.
Love, Leenie
Old 04-30-2003, 11:46 AM   #4  

Have you tried writing down what you are feeling? Also, thinking about and writing down how it feels when you are OP helps. When I have really great days, I write them down so that I can look back on bad days at how great it felt on the good days.

Also...I don't know what plan you are on, but why is your family eating differently from you? I think that only reinforces the idea that this is a DIET and not a CHANGE IN EATING/HEALTH FOR LIFE. No one can keep up making 2 separate meals for the rest of your life. I remember my mom doing that and she was always so miserable watching us eat -- and, of course, she always gained the weight back once she started eating like us. I also have done the same thing myself. Now, though, I have decided that I am not going to eat like a person dieting, but like a health nut. I want my family to be health nuts too. Interestingly enough, DH has lost weight just by eating what I serve. If your Dh and children do not need to lose weight, they can take larger portions.

I think that it is cruel to yourself to keep food in the house that you cannot eat. I think it can also easily sabotage a health plan -- which you are discovering right now. If your family complains, remind them that you love them and want them to be healthy too.

I have probably overstayed my welcome on this one...but allow me to say one more thing. Diet food is awful. Diet food cannot be kept up for life. Diet food does not sustain our bodies, our minds, and, most importantly, our desire for sensual, sumptuous food and the experience it offers us. Healthy food, on the other hand, like fresh green beans sauteed in a little olive oil and garlic, or a ripe avocado salad, or a thick piece of salmon B-B-Qed on a warm spring day -- burst in our mouths and thoughts with flavor and ... well... oomph.

I encourage you to start eating with your family and start eating healthy, not diet, food and get rid of all those things in the house that are not good for you. Your family will thank you later on when they are not struggling with the same weight issues you are struggling with now.

Hope this helps.

Peace,
Paula
Old 04-30-2003, 11:57 AM   #5  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Default Re: Just need to vent

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark&Ivy'smom
Tried reading, listening to my walkman, I even even managed to choke down an extra 30 oz of water, and I still feel like eating.
First of all, you did a good job of trying to stay away from the munchies. I especially like that you drank more water!

Secondly, I agree with Leens - only a mile and a half? That beats nothing!

Thirdly, I also agree with Paula - you cannot really think that, for the rest of your LIFE, you're going to cook one meal for the family and one for you. There are all kinds of great recipes out there that are low in fat. I would be willing to bet that you could probably find some websites that would help you "make over" your old recipes so that they were lower in fat.

Lastly, when you get the munchies, decide what kind of "munchies" you have. Do you want something creamy? sweet? crunchy? salty? Here are some of my favorite munch-busters:

Creamy: nonfat yogurt

Sweet: a huge red apple

Crunchy: a bag of broccoli/carrot/snow pea mix

Salty: a salted green apple or a cup of chicken bouillion

Hang in there! You are doing better than you think.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:12 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

when i get the munchies, i'm finding it's because i'm trying to grind my teeth [isn't that AWFUL?????]. and CHEWING GUM helps. sometimes it's the only thing that helps. sometimes i can distract myself with some hot tea, or SF lemonade, but that doesn't always help. and when keeping busy doesn't do it [and it sure sounds as if you've tried all kinds of strategies here], i KNOW it's time for the gum.

one of the problems with eating OP during a munchie attack is that sometimes [not always!!!] we're just switching choices of 'binge food' to something 'healthy.' and even healthy stuff can add on calories.

when it's really severe [and my WLS support group has been discussing this BIG TIME], we have to make efforts to get rid of that 'gotta eat' feeling entirely. no matter what we choose.

so, it's chewing gum for me for a long long time!!!!

when, oh when, will we all ever become so serene that we don't need to do this to ourselves?????

and love you, leenie.. you're such a wise woman. with pointy-toed shoes of steel!!!!!
Old 04-30-2003, 09:21 PM   #7  
~ I Know I Can ~

Angry Munchies...

I also get the munchies A LOT. Sometimes it is unbearable - and I walk into the kitchen, ready to grab that nice, big, blue bag of potato chips, but then I MAKE MYSELF stop.

I think about the weight I have lost so far, and how I don't want to go back. I literally have to TEAR myself away from the darn chips! But I do.

Something I have done, was write MYSELF a letter. I keep it in my purse where I can see it (because I always have my purse with me, and I'm always digging through it) and it reminds me of all the things that could happen on my weight loss journey. It reminds me that I *may* have the urge to cheat, but it's not really worth it. And that I may want the weight to just melt away in one month, but I need to remember that it took me YEARS to get to this point, and that it will take a year or more to get back to "normal". These types of things I put in my letter. And my letter is an entire page.

When I feel like cheating big time (like running to Subway, or McDonalds) I read my letter, and it REALLY and truly wakes me up. It's kinda like - "Hey! Wake up girl! What's the point of doing this to yourself???"

It's worth a shot to try, you never know, it may work for you.

Another thing since you are up at night, is to keep yourself busy. You said you tried to read, listen to your walkman, ect....

Do you have anything that you REALLY enjoy doing? For instance, when I am up late, and bored, I keep my hands, and mind busy. I have a "Latch Hook Rug" that I am working on. It is VERY simple to learn, and they are very inexpensive at Wal-mart, K-mart, ect... Or if you have a niche for knitting, crocheting, that could be something to keep you busy. Maybe you could buy a puzzle with lots of pieces, (1000 + pieces) - those can be fun.

These are just a few ideas to help you out a little, and they all are quiet, so you wouldn't have to worry about waking anyone.

I know it feels like you are falling off of the wagon, but you are not even close! Heck, you walked one and a half miles today! That is GREAT!!!

Don't let yourself fall off the wagon. Hold on tight. It may be a bumpy ride along the way, but in the end, you'll make it to your goal, and you will feel SO much better in the end.

I wish you the BEST of luck.

YOU CAN DO IT!

~ Kari ~
Old 05-01-2003, 01:01 AM   #8  

Thanks everyone for your support and suggestions. i'm feeling much better today, and doing much better today. About the fmily eating something different....I go to school form 4-11 p.m. and so I pack my lunch to take with me and they usaully eat what they're grandmother makes since she is th one who watches the kids. My parents live with me right now, while they're waiting for their house to get finished. When I'm home at night I cook and we eat what I make. I have decided to take some time off from school, so I will be able to relax a little, and i think that is going to helpme alot. I seem to eat more when I'm stressed, and Finals are this week. You gals are so awesome, you made me feel so much better. I have also tought about something else that I enjoy doing with my hands....I haven't had time for anything like that lately, but now I've been thinkign of learning how to quilt. I don't know yet for sure though. Thanks again all of you!!!!! You really are the best!!!!
Closed Thread