General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #1  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Default Scientific opionions needed please

What websites do you trust for properly run nutritional studies?

I hold a BS degree and have done graduate coursework in nutrition and yet can end up tracking down nutritional claims for weeks now that internet can allow anyone to post "results" and have them quoted.

Any suggestions of places to start first when I'm hit up with yet another nutritional claim? My tendency is to dismiss them all for me personally but some of these claims are starting to affect people I love and I want to make sure all they are wasting is their money, not endangering their health.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

I have never checked for nutritional studies specifically, but wouldn't you be able to get to the primary literature using PubMed or Web of Science? If you don't have access through work or school, your local university library definitely will and maybe your public library as well. I'm considering delving into some primary literature myself and that's where I would go first for access. Google Scholar is another option although I don't know what the best journals are in this field.

Last edited by ERHR; 03-07-2011 at 04:47 PM.
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

You might try the American Dietetic Association website as well as the NIH website. There's also scientific journals that might have some information. Here are a few: "Journal of Human Nutrition & Dietetics" , "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition", & "Clinical Nutrition". If you google "clinical nutrition journals" there are a lot more, including those from other countries.

I also agree that PubMed may be a good place to search if you have the access. If you live nearby a university that has a dietetics or nutrition program, that would be a place to ask as well.
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #4  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

If you're doing your searches online, add the text "site:.gov" or "site:.edu" (minus quotation marks) to the end of your Google searches.

For example, if you wanted reputable, peer-reviewed studies on the effects of low-carb dieting, you might search for:

low carbohydrate diet site:.gov

low carbohydrate diet site:.edu

That weeds out everything but university sites and government sites. There'll still be a little chaff in the wheat--student papers, government regulations that are outdated--but you won't see utter garbage like the "Blah Blah Hospital Diet" hoax or the "Master Cleanse" crap.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote