Old 03-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 213/213/150

Height: 5'8"

Default lurking..with a question

I know I need to get healthier/lose weight/etc but how do you do that when you really don't have the want to to do it? I'll be 47 this yr. I'm 5'8", weigh about 207. I have heart disease in my family-my dad passed becuase of it and most of his family. There is stroke/hypertension in my mom's side. I dont' have high blood pressure, thankfully, my cholesterol is slightly high. I do have some physical issues I deal with such as underactive thyroid/back problems/fibromyalgia so I'm in some sort of pain every day. I go this week for a stress test cuase I've been having some pain and shortness of breath.
I dont' get any exercise except some walking. I returned to college this yr, and working part time. So most of the day I'm sedentary. I'm on Zoloft for anxiety/depression. Not sure if it is helping or hurting. I'm under alot of stress right now. Oh! And I'm going to be a first time gramma!!
Anyway, I know if I dont' change my lifestyle things are only going to get worse but to be honest I just don't have the want to. I think what's the use. I wonder that I'd even be able to lose.

I look at other people-a couple ladies in my church who have lost about 50 lbs, before/after pictures on here and I think why can't I do that?

I've been on WW 5 or more different times. Restriction does not work for me. I dont' want to spend my time nor do I have the time to monitor every bit I put in my mouth. I've tried South Beach.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this, guess to jsut get my thoughts down. Maybe see if someone else feels the same way.

I'm going to start comeing back here each day, reading posts, reading the goals met, etc. and go from there. Maybe I'll get motivated to do this. I may not have a choice if the test shows something wrong. sigh.
Oh 2 be me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

The simple answer is that you must want to do it.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 258/238/135

Height: 5'6"

i don't know how you can lose weight without restriction or "wasting your time". Without spending time on it, or restricting, aren't you just doing what you are doing now?

i am not trying to be heartless about it, but, it sounds like you want to lose weight without changing anything.

i think sometimes (myself included!) people wait to feel this magic "motivation" and while yes, sometimes there are "big aha moments" that push people over the edge, sometimes you just must do it. Let your first results inspire you! And maybe, think of it one day at a time....

i'm sure you want to be around long enough to see your grandchild, and be there for them as they grow up!

-fm
foodmasochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/167/140

Height: 5'2"

Try counting calories for two weeks.
MonicaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #5  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Well, I think that you can make some small healthy changes without restricting yourself, like buying leaner meats and adding some more fruits and veggies and salads to your meals. Switch to whole grain breads & pasta, and eat more brown rice & beans & lentils, if you like them.

So this is about adding and subbing rather than taking away. If you fill up on healthy, whole foods, then maybe you won't crave other stuff so much (if you do). This may help bring your cholesterol numbers down a bit for you too.

You are in pain, have some health issues already, could have some more in the future, plus have a grand-baby on the way -- there's some good motivators right there. I think some people confuse motivation with feelings. In life, there may be many things we don't feel like doing, but that doesn't mean there aren't good reasons why we should do them; that's the difference.

However, you are here, so I think that intellectually you know that you can take some positive steps towards better health. Sometimes, we have to choose to do something first; sort of -- fake it until you feel it, kind of thing. Plus, you don't have to have such a big goal; you can go for 10 lbs, or other NSV (non-scale victories) like losing one size; or just feeling better in your body (that's my favorite one), until you have less pain, etc.

Yes, do stick around; and read some. There are some plans here that are not so restrictive like THE NO-DIET DIET or simple Portion Plan (which is in this forum) that have lots of whole foods in it -- which isn't about deprivation but eating healthier.

I agree about taking it one day at a time; one step at a time; then, see how it goes ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-06-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #6  
One man would not fall...

S/C/G: 400/223/190

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaM View Post
Try counting calories for two weeks.
Yeah, don't even think of it as a diet or restriction, eat whatever you desire within moderation and common sense.

Tip : Eat lots of greens and cut out liquid calories and condensed foods. i.e... high weight to calorie main courses.

Seriously other than calculating everything being a pain it is as easy as pie.
Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #7  

"it sounds like you want to lose weight without changing anything."
No, I know I have to make some changes.
I guess I'm just feelign overwhelmed by everything and then adding this on, it just seems so 'big'.
I have a tendency to look at the 'whole journey' instead of the little steps it takes to complete it.

So going to try to take small steps-"fake it til I feel it, kinda thing"-and go from there.

I have made my lunch for tomorrow-a wrap with left over salad and chicken from lunch today, a pear, some walnuts. So, that's a start. I'm also trying to think of when and where I can sneak in a walk.

I appreciate all your responses to my post. I need encouragement as well as a swift kick in the backside.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/228/145

Height: 5'6

Hey there Patty! I find reading scripture encourages me, which you need to be encouraged. Knowing God made us and it was no easy job and each one of us is unique and special to him. Get determine, food is food, just like money it can be used for good or for bad, but you are special you are worth more than anything, and tomorrow can be a new start for you if you make it one. God loves you and if you will do your part he will do his part. When you exercise let me tell you if it is housework wiggling to music while your washing dishes ect that is moving and burning calories and building your body into a new one. I eat what I want but less of it, I make smaller meat portions and enlarge my vegetables ect ... use a smaller plate to eat on. I get full. You know dieting can be fun if you make it fun, but if you go into an outlook Oh ......I don't want to diet well you won't so make it fun, try new vegetables and fruits and try like I say wiggle to some music. Dancing is fun ! Walking in good weather is fun, Garage sale hopping is fun! Horse back riding is fun! Volunteering in the community is fun! Just don't give up God has not given up on you are me why should we ever give up? We are special to him, so chin up Patty and march forward believing in yourself and our Savior Jesus Christ. You can do this!
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:47 AM   #9  

Bootsie, thank you for the encouragement.

I have eaten off of a small plate for years. I dont' drink soft drinks. I eat only whole grain breads-cant' stand the white stuff!

My down fall is sweets. And the fact that being at school at 8 then going to work most evening til anywhere from 5-7pm. I'm so tired when I get home, I just eat a bowl of cereal or something like that. Mind you the cereal is Cheerios, no sugar w/either a banana or raisins and some walnuts.

So, I think I made good choices in alot of things. Need to change my portion control and not gorge myself, take my time and eat more slowly, have healthier things on hand to eat when I'm tired.

I know I will get there.

thanks again
Old 03-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/228/145

Height: 5'6

Yeah there Patty doing good...there is some no calorie butter sprinkles for Pop corn that make things tasty too, use it on everything! Your going to make it girl!
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote