Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 04:48 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2011 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 fat chicks, a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 03-01-2011, 04:49 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - My thrill today is to put seven boxes of books on the curb "by 7 am" for a charity to pick up. I've already taken credit here for putting them aside, but when I come home tonight, they will be gone - as in, I will never see them again. So CREDIT moi again just for the joy. I've dug so deep in this sorting affair that I found my 1970 Playbill for the Off Broadway production of Boseman and Lena by Athol Fugard to be reminded that Boseman was played by an unknown actor named . . . James Earl Jones. What a find. Also saw Hair on that same visit to New York. Yay for The Big Apple.

Walked to gym, lunges, new numbers on the dumbbells, CREDIT moi. Watched, with a touch of envy, a guy lifting with the 100 pound dumbbells - beyond my dreams.

onebyone - You are indeed a good friend to help your friends pack when you're stressed with your own packing - and to give them some of your precious boxes is just amazing. One benefit of a junk removal service is that you don't have to touch the stuff you're letting go. It works for me when I sort and load the boxes with the books to save and DW loads the boxes with the books to give away. My hands rebel at the lowering of a book into the give away box.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats on another new low, with Kudos for getting there via "lots of exercise and staying on plan."

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for nine miles on your bike; distraction seemed to work as well as a personal trainer.

maryann - Love the notion of staying the course to avoid the insanity. And thanks for the focus, "My best thoughts and hope for all of us JUST FOR TODAY."

ChefJoona - Planning healthy alternatives when you know friends will bring off-plan snacks is just a stellar strategy - Kudos and Double Kudos for doing it while you're struggling with commitment.

pamatga - Yep, March is here, I'm with you - "Let's get this party started." Congrats on a fine scale loss for February despite your un-secret love affair with chocolate.

Jan (jmaf) - Kudos for planning a lunch time walk and them doing it. Keep the faith - thinking about the next meal seems to decrease over time.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2
Experience the Difference

The Beck Diet for Life Program can help you in other ways, too, since I have found that dieters often derive unexpected benefits. For example, you can:
. . .
Free up time and energy to live your life. Many dieters spend an enormous amount of time thinking about food. They fear getting on the scale. They feel bad about their appearance and about themselves. They are afraid other will judge them negatively. They are embarrassed to eat in public. They feel despondent when they gain weight. The Beck Diet for Life Program helps you get in control - so that you will no longer obsess about food or your body, or feel guilty or embarrassed. In doing so, you will have more physical and mental energy. You will feel proud, in control, and optimistic about the future.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 25.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 03-02-2011 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-01-2011, 06:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Slowly getting back on track. I stayed mostly on plan yesterday. I said NO CHOICE to night time snacking, and completely avoided the few left over candies.

I thought a lot about the choices I have. It is 100% my choice to continue working towards my goal, or to go back to my old ways. I have made good progress toward my goal weight- more than enough to illustrate that the Beck Skills work, and I have what it takes to implement them. I WILL NOT let a couple rough days derail all my months of effort!

Food is packed for today. Not sure what I'll be making for dinner when I get home, as I am missing an ingredient for the recipe I had in mind (some dried blueberries my mom got for me and I keep forgetting to pick up from her).

Thank you all for the encouragement over these last several days!!

onebyone What perspective you gained from helping your friends! You have the awareness and intention and strategies so your situation will look very different from their's on your moving day!

Headed to work... Wishing you all a great day!
Old 03-01-2011, 06:38 AM   #4  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Happy March all! For once I am the first non-coach to post. I doubt whether this will happen very often. I have had about 90 minutes of sleep. My right hip and leg are flaring up and I tossed and turned the past couple of hours. I am waiting for pain meds to kick in.

Credit Moi: for 2/28/11
Staying close to my food plan in spite of eating out my first meal of the day. We went to my favorite Chinese restaurant. I avoided the deep fat foods like crab wontons, egg rolls and such. Instead, I had grilled marinated chicken on skewers (my absolute fav at this place!), lots of green vegetables, sushi (I call them poppers since I just grab one and pop it in my mouth) and fresh fruit and, of course, a fortune cookie!

I came home and had 72 oz of plain water the rest of the day and night to eliminate the added sodium.

Made both phone calls and emails, gave comfort to two people in my life who are going through their own "trials"; my Bible leader who has a double stress fracture in one of her legs and is now on bedrest for undetermined time and my niece who just found out she is pregnant and her first child will be 1 years old this Thursday.

I was physically hungry last night from 7 pm until 3:15 am this morning when I finally fell asleep.

Feeling strong in my reserve. Back on track and feeling good about it.

Have a great day all!

PS BBE Back many many years ago I used to bench press 140 lbs. For free weights I used to routinely lift two 50 lbs barbells. It was thirty years ago but I remember. You can do it if you want to Bill, I know you can.
on moving your stuff out to the curb. Out of sight, out of mind.

Last edited by pamatga; 03-01-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #5  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up 1st day of my last month in this town

Hi Coaches

Officially our lease is up March 31st. April Fool's Day has to see me at my new place no ifs, ands, or buts.

I am indeed (thanks Lexxiss for the encouragement) going back to my zone list but I am going to have to be more ambitious and ruthless, aiming to tackle 3+ areas per day to reach my Ideal Moving Weekend which is the 19/20 of March OR during the week following OR have made moving arrangements by then.

This morning I am trying not to beat myself up for two things.
(1) I look around and see so little packing done - how come? yet I know how stuck I was and how stressed out I was.
(2)I weighed in this morning (credit) after chowing down on hickory sticks right before bed last night (bad for many reasons we all know) and saw the scale hop right up to 286. It's my water-retention-go-to weight the last few months.

The goal today is to make progress in the living room zones:
FIRST: clear area in middle of the floor, move open packing boxes to one area, packed sealed boxes to another, get rid of garbage to another space, and donations together. ORGANIZE so I can work efficiently and not lose the tape, the tape gun, the marker...

put some music on and start working on

#19 electronic, cd's and stuff in tv cabinet DONE
#20 stuff along wall beside china cabinet
#21 stuff on/in china cabinet
#12 stuff from fishtank to wall
#11 area between buffet and fishtank (YIKES!! BIG MESS HERE)

This is my whole place. I cannot wait to be done with them room after room after room. I must persist to victory:
living room in progress
dining room
kitchen
entry & bathrooms
bedroom 1
bedroom 2
bedroom 3
hallways and staircases
basement rec room
basement basement

Last edited by onebyone; 03-01-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #6  
Green Tomatoes

I met my exercise goal for February! I got to move my ticker down 2 pounds. I'm not quite sure how that happened, but these things are surely helping:
* making my second snack optional
* reducing the serving size of frozen dairy products, especially when eaten out of the house (the one treat that I still allow myself because it's not triggering for me)
* choosing, most days, the lightest of my breakfast options: cereal with yogurt and a fruit

WI: NCkg, Exercise: +50* 1300/1300 minutes for February, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: love your story about your friends packing nightmare. One lesson to draw is the one that you did--don't let that happen to me. A second is, it happens to the best of us and is not something that one should beat oneself up about. We took two years to fully move out of our old house to the new one. Although that sounds like a wonderful luxury, and was in some ways, what it really did was give me two years to beat myself up about stuff.

BillBlueEyes: yay for seven boxes gone for good!

Greetings to everyone else! I'm off to get rid of a few boxes of books myself -- in time for them to be in this year's Greater St. Louis Book Fair. Since they are mostly newer books, they will sell well if I can get them in now.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 193/179/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi All,

Yesterday was somewhat of a struggle but I'm doing better today. I had a morning telecon - maybe that's why I was a bit stressed yesterday?? Anyway, it's over and I'm already feeling relief! So, I'm hoping to re-focus. I didn't go off plan yesterday but did feel I was constantly thinking about eating. The telecon ran until after my normal lunch time today and it didn't really bother me, so I'm hoping I'm back on track. Good news is that I'm down 0.5 lbs for this weeks weigh-in. Not stellar, but I'll take it because it gets me to the '10 pounds lost' point!

maryann: I found your post very powerful. I, also, have done some of the same obsessive things you've done regarding food. I think it was ultimately the thought that food and eating were starting to have control over me that really frightened me. The great thing about the Beck principles is that I'm not feeling that 'out of control' feeling - the food/eating is not controlling me anymore, but I'm in control of the way I feel about it. That has been very freeing for me, but I know I'll have to work on it for awhile to be truly free of these issues.

onebyone: Amazing support you provided to your friend! I'm not sure what I would have done under the circumstances - but I think you've at least gained some insight about how to avoid the moving problems you just witnessed.

gardenerjoy: Congrats on meeting your exercise goal for February! Also for the 2 lb loss

pamatga: Kudos for avoiding the fried food and choosing healtier alternatives!

ChefJoona: "I said NO CHOICE to night time snacking, and completely avoided the few left over candies." Hooray!! I'm also using NO CHOICE a lot and find it very effective.

BillBE: Seven boxes! That's a great accomplishment!! I got rid of a bunch of books and magazines when we moved about 4 years ago. I must say I have NEVER missed them.

Well, I think I'm going to get outside to take an 'after lunch' walk - because I'm transporting my husband to and fro work, it's doubled my commute time, so I don't really get to do my before-work exercise. So, I'm going to try to get a walk in at lunchtime to try to make up for it.

Have a great day!

- Jan

Last edited by jmaf; 03-01-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Thank you all for your condolences on losing Clyde. Yes, BillBE, he was one of the sheep in my old avatar. He was one of the original 3 lambs that I raised the first summer DH and I moved out, so he’s been with me since the beginning. He was also my inspiration to start putting coats on sheep and selling wool since he was a wether and would otherwise have been eaten. I suppose, for a wether he couldn’t have a better life.

My food plan for shearing went well and I’m grateful for that. I was surprised that the veggie tray was somewhat popular. Obviously the cookies were the biggest hit, but people did take advantage of the veggie tray. That’s going to be in regular work-day food rotation. I’m glad that I stopped worrying about what the guys would and wouldn’t eat and just put something out that I wanted. Dinner last night was not healthy at all, but I’m reminding myself that it was the best I could do when totally exhausted. We didn’t get home until after 8 and had some new baby calves to deal with. The calories were within my range, just not that healthy. Oh well, I can get by with those on occasion as long as my normal routine is healthy.

The weather is finally giving us a break. We’ve either had days with highs in the single digits or decent temps with brutal winds. Both have been really hard on our calving and we’re losing more than usual because of it. But it’ll be a little breezy this week, but at least it’s manageable. That also means I’ll be able to get outside for some exercise and get the dogs out for some exercise. They’ve been going crazy cooped up in the house.

Beverlyjoy, hugs while you try to figure out whether to have the surgery or take care of your sister. Considering all you have gone through with the surgery, it is a big decision.

Pamatga, great attitude on a disappointing February weight loss. But a loss is a loss, so congrats on the 4.2 lbs that are gone forever! Great job

Gardenerjoy, congrats for a downward weight trend for the year and a new low. Kudos for sitting down and looking at the numbers (that objective information)!

Onebyone, hugs while dealing with weariness. Finding a name for the feeling is the first step in dealing with it. The moving stress is huge. I hope he does find a way to ask for help because you’re right about moving all those dressers by yourself.

Skygirl, I love that a reminder of BillBE’s avatar saved the day! He keeps us on track in so many ways! Great job coming back after a bit of a slide.

Gwen, I love the enthusiasm! It’s a boost to the rest of us to have someone so on fire. Yay for realizing that you love hunger. It’s amazing what a change of attitude can do.

CeeJay, hugs while you continue to deal with such a difficult time. You’ve had a lot on your shoulders recently! I can relate to all of those sabotaging thoughts and eventually they’ll come under control, but one step at a time. Great job getting here and posting and hanging in there!

BillBE, I’m inspired by your walk in spite of 6 inches of surprise snow. Thanks for reminding me that outdoor exercise is still possible in winter.

ChefJoona, great job posting while dealing with commitment issues. Just doing it is the best way to get into that habit! Kudos for exercising that NO CHOICE!

Lexiss, great job staying OP while your sister is in town and kudos for planning ahead for Dim Sum.

Jmaf, great job sticking to your plan over the weekend. It’s always to tough to stay OP when your days don’t have their usual structure.

Maryann, thanks for the thought, “If I am not perfect today, at least I have a plan.” That need to be perfect and then giving up completely when I’m (inevitably) not perfect is a constant struggle for me.

Waving to everyone else I missed!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello,

Whew--- I was actually on plan with my eating today. Sorry, no time for personals these days. But I read your posts and cheer for everyone.

So credit today for:

- weighing in (ugg)
- reading advantage and response cards
- riding exercise bike for 30 mins.
- doing weights
- planning tomorrow and packing lunch
- reading a bit of the Pink Book
- checking in with my coaches
- eating healthy and on plan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:14 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/188/140

Height: 5 ft. 3 inches

Hello Coaches and Buddies--

Now that I can look back over February, I see that my first month hasn't been the success I was planning for it to be! I got too caught up in my work to plan my food properly, and my rotator cuff troubles wrecked the swimming schedule. But since I can't fall any lower, I am going to consider this month MARCH to be the time for a new start, again!
Yesterday I gave a lecture that I was truly proud of (that meditative lyric one), and sort of turned up my ambition to make my food life feel as clear and clean as my good days in my academic life.
I have been reading all your posts and love the way everyone is getting on with their plans. Admiringly, RubyJan
Old 03-02-2011, 04:43 AM   #11  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - It did happen; I came home and the seven boxes are gone - a big Woot! Eating on plan with my lentil stew for lunch, CREDIT moi, I don't get tired of that concoction.

My walk (CREDIT moi) was to Radio Shack, a.k.a "The Shack," to get a battery for my pedometer which I haven't been wearing, thinking that if I started using it again I'd increase my motivation to get moving more. I actually started walking toward Whole Foods with the express purpose of "seeing if there was something interesting to sample." Good grief! Walked about 30 seconds in its direction debating that blatant Sabotaging Thought. Then grabbed onto the thought that I had a planned afternoon snack at home and that I needed to be serious about my eating plan. So turned around, skipped WF, and home I went; CREDIT moi.

onebyone - Yep, it's progress and it will always feel like you could have done more. So Kudos for "trying not to beat myself up" because a whirling dervish could have done more. I don't understand "chowing down on hickory sticks."

CeeJay - Yay for an on-plan day.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Honking Kudos for racing to the end of February with long sessions to meet your exercise goal.

Shepherdess - Yep, a good life for Clyde, the weter. Ouch for exhaustion and for the rough calving - yours isn't a life for the squeamish. I'm also surprised that you veggie tray was popular.

ChefJoona - Kudos for keeping the vision, "I WILL NOT let a couple rough days derail all my months of effort!" What dinner recipe calls for dried blueberries?

Ruby (RubyJan) - Yay for a lecture that brings pride! With Kudos for grabbing that as motivation for your eating plan.

pamatga - Ouch for having to fight your physical hunger for such a long stretch. LOL at calling sushi "poppers." Congrats on your early post for March but by-the-by, we're all coaches to each other here - you're one of us. [I'm impressed at your lifting numbers. Thanks for the encouragement.]

Jan (jmaf) - Congrats on your ten pounds milestone. I like telecons when I can do them alone from my office so I can do email or whatever when the long winded have the floor.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2
Experience the Difference
That's just a taste of why this time is different. It's different because this time, over the coming weeks and months, I'm going to teach you how to overcome the problems that have blocked you from achieving your goal of lasting weight loss. I'll teach you how to do this in small, achievable steps that span five stages.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 25.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:45 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Good morning!

I'm feeling great about getting on track! Eating yesterday was on plan! Taking a lot of motivation from all of you .

Last night I made an amazing quinoa dish with garbonzo beans, peas, dried blueberries, toasted walnuts and a chive, garlic vinegrette. I adapted it from a recipe I found on Eden Organic Foods website. YUM!

Just a quick check-in... Happy Wednesday to you all!
Old 03-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #13  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday was an extremely poor food day here. Everyone (especially DH) tugged me in different directions. I was able to understand (logically) that he is super upset about his friend (we all are), but I did not use my Beck tools to avoid unplanned eating.
*credit* for tracking every bite (a first for me)
*credit* for making a better choice for dinner than my sabateurs were picking.
*credit* for starting today fresh with reflection and rededication

I've got a busy day ahead....I have 2 days of work to catch up on now.

Take care everyone, and I'll hopefully be back tomorrow with positive input and better news on the food front.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #14  
Green Tomatoes

Our March is coming in like a lamb, but the weather forecasters aren't promising a smooth ride into spring.

WI: -0.05kg (new low), Exercise: +55* /1600 minutes for March, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 03-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #15  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Hey, all, sorry I am late for the day but I was over at the 100 lbs to Lose Group because I decided to join in on a March daily weigh-in thread. I weigh in every day even though my weight goes up and down like a cork in choppy waves. I will have to share what I was reading over there in case anyone would like to check it out. Careysings, in that same group, started a thread called "What did I have to give up to lose 100 lbs?" I am always wowed over by all of the collective wisdom everyone here at 3FC has. It is one reason why I keep coming back. I can't tell you how much I have learned. I am being very serious when I say that.

The answers to that question are not what you would think. It was very refreshing to say the least because that is the newfound wisdom that I have developed regarding my weight lose journey. Whatever I lost and will ultimately keep off doesn't hang on whether I had 64 oz of water today, had 2-4 c vegetables, etc. I was thin and I live with a thin person. I know what being thin is like. I was for 30 years of my life. Sometimes, it is no more than just applying what works for you or you or you......

It is interesting that on this thread BBE congratulated me on -4.2 lbs lost this past month and yet on another group I belong to (on another site) I sort of got a "passive/aggressive" boot about "Wasn't [I] here to lose weight?" sigh!

Well, I don't want to be the Mom who is asked who is my favorite child? You all are. However, having an unconditional environment is so much more conducive to feeling okay than "BootCamp Betty". I used to be competitive but I decided that my ego created more rifts than anything so I hung it out to dry and never retrieved it.

So, my kudos today goes for BBE, onebyone,Lexxis,gardernerjoy, and everyone else here(I'm still learning all your names so bear with me)

Credit goes to you all for being a great bunch to come home to each
day!

Credit moi for seeing it too!

Last edited by pamatga; 03-02-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Closed Thread