Old 01-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #1  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Default Introductions

Thank you so much Suzanne and Bill!

I'm really glad this section of the 3fc's forum has been created! I don't expect all that much traffic here, but I hope it will be used a friendly space for new guys who come to this board and might feel slightly outnumbered here

If you stop by here and would like to introduce yourself, that might be a great first step.

I'm Matt (as you might have guessed). I'm 37 and have been on the 3FC's site for a very long time. I came here in 2002 and in 2003 I lost about 150 pounds or so. Like so many others, I slowly gained the weight back and stopped coming here to these boards. I did make some occasional appearances here and there, but I was generally absent and back totally into my old ways. These ways included some pretty severe issues with alcohol abuse followed by late at night binge eating. I hated myself and my life and I used alcohol and food as a way of just getting through the day.

I got serious about my health again in the fall of 2007 after a couple of highly embarassing situations. I realized I couldn't fit into most restaurant booths and or fit into chairs that had "arms". I could barely walk and felt like I was close to having a heart attack or some other serious medical condition. I didn't know my starting weight since my scale only went up to 450 pounds and I assume I was probably closer to 470-480.

Slowly, I started walking and made very minor changes to my diet. I stopped going to the bar nightly and took up other hobbies that could occupy my "danger zone" time of right after work. I joined a non-profit movie theater and became active in that as well as some other volunteering activities. After a couple of months I found out that I could weigh myself on my scale again and that first weight was 446 pounds (that is my starting weight here that I use in the signature). That first year I dropped about 150 pounds and got back to where I was in 2003.

I then came back to 3FCs and made other changes to my life to continue the progress. I started doing charity event walks as well as other physical activities. I then joined weight watchers, mainly for the ritual of the weekly weigh in the accountability aspects of the program.

Over the next couple of years (with some up and downs) I managed to continue to lose weight until I hit my initial goal weight of 180 pounds. I've taken up running now and my life is totally changed. I find that whether things are going good or bad, they always get better when I check in here and post. I've made a committment to keeping accountable and I know I can fall off the wagon and slip into old patterns very easily.

I'm looking forward to meeting many of you!
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 330/330/250ish

Height: 6'

Hi Matt. I've been hovering around 330 for a while now, and I figure it's time to drop the weight before i start falling apart. I'm doing a minimum of an hour exercise every day, and eating healthy.

I'll be talking to you.
radar2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/240/180

Height: 6'1"

Hello you two!

My name is James, and I'm 22 years old, weighing 245. For the past several years, I've slowly been adding the pounds, from what I used to weigh, which was as low as 175. Before I started my diet, I was simply eating WAY too large of portions, and consuming way too many empty calories (pop, etc.), and not really doing any physical activity. In order to achieve my goals (I plan to get to under 200 through diet and excercise, with no real muscle work/toning involved, then at that point, add toning into my plans, and eventually get down to about 180 pounds), I am going to be restricting my calories, and excercise (mainly raquetball and swimming, and then I hope to start running once I'm in a bit better shape). For my diet, I'm cutting nearly all pop, which used to be a big vice, and I will be consuming about 1200 calories, through two good healthy meals during the day, and a nice, filling "meal" bar at nighttime, to help keep away my dangerous craving time.

Good luck to everyone else that's out there, working towards their goals!
Berem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:21 AM   #4  
One man would not fall...

S/C/G: 400/223/190

Height: 5' 10"

1200 is pretty low, you don't want to trigger a slow down in your metabolism and fat burn, personally i have been hitting around 1800 - 2200 per day and having fairly decent success while not starving myself.

Everybody wants to lose the weight like yesterday but it just takes a plan and the willpower to stay with it for the long haul IMO.
Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #5  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Welcome James!
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #6  

Hello all, My name is Travis and I joined this site a couple years ago because I started to diet and I this site gave me hope. I lost 50 or 60lbs lbs back then and the then slumped back into my old ways and gained 70 back.

I am glad to see a "men's" section here because if you search for weight loss on the web the vast majority of support forums etc. are are either geared toward women and the ones geared toward men are about body building. It is hard to find a site geared towards the average guy wanting to lose some weight.

Anyway, I have decided to get back on track and this is a good place for support. The before and after pictures here really motivate me. I realize that I am a food addict and if I do not get this behavior under control it will kill me eventually. I have a sedentary office job and I love to over eat... not a good combo.

I have settled to lose weight and keep it off to a manageble level. My goal is not to be skinny or super fit, although I would love that, my goal when done, I will still be considered overweight but atleast I would be 170 lbs lighter than I am now. At this point I would be happy to lose 100 lbs and keep it off I would take that in a heardbeat.

The extra weight is ruining my life, keeping me depressed and antisocial, killing my bad knees and preventing me from living the life I want.

In the last 4 years I have lost probably 200lbs but always gain it back and then some. For example; Id lose 40 and then gain back 50, diet again and lose 60 then gain back 70.....So in the long run I end up worse than when I started. Luckily I can lose weight fast but 3 months seems to be all I can take before slipping back into over eating and laziness. Once I lost 75lbs in 3 months without dieting at all, just working out 5-7 times a week. I need 2 knee replacements so I cannot work out with that intensity now.

I started my diet on Monday 1/3/2011, I have lost 11 lbs already in the first week. No exercise just eating approx 1600-1700 calories a day. I really would like to keep my calorie intake down to 1500-1600 a day. When I started my diet I weighed in at an all time record of 450 pounds. My ideal goal is to weight 280 but I could live with myself if I could just weight 350 again. I carry my weight well and at most people think I weight about 100 lbs less than I really do. I am 35, married and have a daughter. I have been over weight the last 10 years of my life, before that I was in extremely great physical shape.....from 17-22ish I had 6 pack abs, played sports and worked out 5 days a week. I dont know what happened to me.

I know this has to be a lifestyle change not just a "diet". This journey is a marathon not a sprint, I just hope I can see the finish line.
heavyhitter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 405/216/205

Height: 6'4

Hey guys keep up the good work. You young guys work hard don't wait!!! You will be glad you have this time to shine.
tryhardforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 250 / 210 / 210

Height: 6' 4"

HeavyHitter1, I managed to lose weight with crash diets too - I would even say that I used to think it was not such a big deal to gain some, because you could always crash it off.

But getting over 40, needing bifocals to read, learning that you can sprain your back starting a lawn mower... helps bring some humility to life. When you realize that you don't want to keep re-doing a tedious effort, it's easier to step back and ask: "What WORKS? I just want to *get this over with* and keep the WIN!"

3FC is great, in that you can see both the evidence and the advice of those who beat the odds, and succeeded. The path to victory exists! Just knowing that *it is possible* is worth something.

Last edited by darway; 01-14-2011 at 08:41 PM.
darway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 308/ticker/210

Height: 5'11

hello gentlemen, I have been bouncing in and out on this site. For the first time i feel really educated about my body and have found many useful tools on this site (fitday and c25k) I am currently doing a 1200 high protein/low carb diet and am averaging about 5.75 pounds a week in weight loss. best of all i feel great. and defiently feel that i will never again be as heavy as I once was.
Daddyo5278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:40 AM   #10  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Congrats, Daddyo, on those 60 pounds gone forever. Love the thought, "I will never again be as heavy as I once was."

You're losing at a majorly fast clip and eating pretty low calories to support 5'11" of guy. Can't argue with success, but it's worth being aware of burn out. With only 36 pounds to go to reach your goal, you might have reached the point where you're ready to start tapering toward the eating plan that you'll use for maintenance for life. 3FC is big time helpful in staying the course long term.

I see the bar bell in your ticker. Are you a lifter?
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #11  
Started IP 01/10/11

S/C/G: 289.4/192.6/200

Height: 5'11"

Hello all, I am 31. I am fairly new to this site. I just started the Ideal Protein (IP) January 10th. I was very close to hitting 300# and decided to do something. I saw great results with my father-in-law 110# since June and his wife 60#. I needed something to help hold me accountable and make me some plans. IP was the way to go for me.

I was an active person in HS then college came and after college. I wrestled in HS at 189# and it took all I had to stay there, then play football around 220#. After those years, I just let it pack on, mostly from overeating and poor eating. If there was a food challenge out there, I wanted to do it and beat it, just like Man vs. Food. I have decided to change my ways.

I have 3 children, 5 yr, 14 mo, and 2 mo old. I want to be more active with them and be around for their later years. They are my greatest motivator.

After I shed the fat weight, I plan to start weight training again, I loved it back in the day, but let other things take its place, I want to get back into it.

Good luck to you all in all your efforts.
juiceman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:04 AM   #12  
1/6/14

S/C/G: 296/271/225

Default Hello

Hey Guys,

I joined 3 Fat Chicks at the end of December, 2010. I guess it's 3 Fat chicks and some fat guys, huh!

I had lost 100lbs in 2007 in OA HOW and for some reason in the fall of 09' things got crazy in my life, and I just didn't keep the food under control. So here I was at the end of December, and I was just a few pounds shy of having gained it all back. I had reached a second bottom.

However, the good thing about the loss in 2007, I had learned and appreciated how to eat better. I had acquired a taste for greens, fresh fruits and smaller quantities of meat. The trouble was after I let things go, every time I tried to eat that way again, I could only go 2-3 weeks before rationalizing a binge on bad food. I guess, that's why I found this place effective, because of the community.

I'm doing the Ideal Protein for close to 3 weeks, being monitored by a doctor, and plan on completing all four phases. I like the support of my coaches and I frequent the IP board here a lot. However, I'm one of the only guys there it seems, so I like the idea of this guys board.

Good Luck to everyone, and look forward to seeing all the successes!

Doug
Douger963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:10 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 450/410/250

Height: 6'3"

Smile Well Hello!

You can call me Robert, or Anthony, or Twon. I go by all these things.

32yr old guy living in RI. I was browsing the interwebs and stumbled across this board. I recently started dieting again this year. I'm 6'2", 410lbs. 450 at my highest. However I don't see myself looking like that crazy huge number! Had success in the past dieting, lower carb, but I went 375-290-450. Depression/ not caring basically led to the decline. Ive had minor sprints of loss, but nothing has stuck.

I used to have a weight loss blog, but I lack the commitment to keep up with everyone who follows me, so I thought a community setting might serve me a little better. And something geared towards guys is always a plus! My diet plan is nothing crazy. Less calories, simply. I've never had an issue with eating well. I typically eat salads and tofu and fiber cereals w/ almond milk and general healthy eating. However, I binge eat my emotions and on my days off I'll just buy a large extra cheese pizza and eat the whole thing by myself in one sitting. Better portions / no take out. We're starting here. Oh, and exercising of course. Using the biggest loser for Xbox kinect. Someday I'll use that gym membership I've had for a year and never used.

Oh, and I love cheese. More than you possibly could. It's important you know that out of the box. I've been on Atkins and have been Vegan. I'm always willing to try new diets, but I feel I know enough to lose weight without cutting out anything! I also am a terrible cook. So... Hi.
iTwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:50 AM   #14  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Welcome juiceman11 - Seems to happen to very active athletes that the weight gain slips up on them. Glad you've caught it. Hope you've found the Ideal Protein Diet forum - there's a bunch of active followers there. And they claim both good success and ability to continue.

Welcome Doug (Douger963) - Yay for "greens, fresh fruits and smaller quantities of meat" - after we get those ideas under our belts sticking to a healthy eating plan does begin to seem normal. If you drag juiceman11 over to the IP board, you'll double the number of men, LOL.

And Welcome Twon (iTwon) - Yep, accountability has a big impact on caring, which you point out impacts staying the course. Will keep in mind that you're a cheese nut. What's worked for me has been to upgrade my taste in cheese so that I avoid the pervasive spread of American Cheese on everything and focus on small doses of, say, Gorgonzola or ripe Blue Cheese. By-the-by, your user name is a kick.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 01-18-2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Typo
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #15  
One man would not fall...

S/C/G: 400/223/190

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTwon View Post
Oh, and I love cheese. More than you possibly could. It's important you know that out of the box. I've been on Atkins and have been Vegan. I'm always willing to try new diets, but I feel I know enough to lose weight without cutting out anything! I also am a terrible cook. So... Hi.
Oh no i have a pretty good idea about cheese love as well, i can't remember the last time i went a day without , it might be years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceman11 View Post
I was an active person in HS then college came and after college. I wrestled in HS at 189# and it took all I had to stay there, then play football around 220#. After those years, I just let it pack on, mostly from overeating and poor eating. If there was a food challenge out there, I wanted to do it and beat it, just like Man vs. Food. I have decided to change my ways.
I used to lift weights and bike religiously for years but one thing leads to another and between the toll it takes on your body and the time and energy needed, well.

That said i didn't tailor my eating habits to adjust when i quit so next thing you know ....
Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote