Old 02-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202.5/189/120

Height: 5'2

Default The CAtkins Diet

Anyone heard of this, its what my vet called the new biscuits he has put my cat on. Dunno why may baby can't lose weight, he's big for a cat anyway, but he has been on diet biscuits for a **** of a long time and we measure his food carefully. I used to take him out to play, but he doesn't get that so much any more cos he lives with my parents and mum would rather sit and cuddle him on the sofa, dad ignores him apart from to slip him bits of meat here and there and my brother only feeds him and empties his litter tray.
roobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #2  
~Tori~

S/C/G: 250/224.2/150

Height: 5'4

nope never heard of it, is he not losing anything? it may be something underlying causing him or her to stay heavy
cheeriloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Good luck with kitty's weight loss program. When we adopted our cat, she weighed nearly 20 lbs. We've struggled to get the weight off of her with a variety of different diets, different nutrient proportions... and we were able to slim her down a couple pounds, but the less you feed her, the less she moves, and the more she cries and begs. You'd think we were starving to hear her "tell it." And she "tells it" to everyone that enters the house. Even when friends come over to visit, if there's a meal or a snack food available, she will mooch off visitors worse than any dog I've ever had. She'll even sit on her hind legs and "beg" - that's my fault. It was a trick I taught her to get her to do some movement before getting fed, but if we try to restrict her food, she'll even stop playing "string" chase - giving us dirty looks as if to say "I don't have the energy to play chase the string, because you're starving me to death."

She's a "nag" too. About an hour before mealtime, she'll start reminding us that it's getting close to meal time. And sometimes if she takes a nap, she'll wake up and start begging for mealtime even though she may have slept only 20 minutes (we joke that she's afraid she might have slept through mealtime).

Last edited by kaplods; 02-25-2011 at 09:57 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 202.5/189/120

Height: 5'2

It may be good thing I don't live with him any more cos I am such a pushover, I would not usually give him extra food but I do buy cat treats when I go to visit him. The main problem is he will do anything not to go outside, he is not used to being territorial cos he used to leave that to my mums cat but now he has feline aids he can't go out any more and my cat is such a scaredy puss he won't go out on his own.
roobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #5  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

That's what we call the diet our clinic cat is on (I work part-time at a vet clinic). No special biscuits or food or anything. He gets one can of fancy feast a day. And that's it. No treats, no indulgences... And he HAS lost around 5 lbs over the course of three or four months. Good luck with your kitty weight loss!! It always seems to be much harder with cats...
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #6  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

My pudgy cat loses weight on moist food only. He luvs his kibble but he's a carb addict and the vet said wet food only. Still, he mews like crazy when I feed the dog (she gets crunchy food). He has even tried to munch some of her food when she wasn't looking! He spit it out and looked disgusted (in a way only a cat can do).

But, his weight is normal again. I just put up with the MER WOW! MER WOW! when I feed the dog. If I can lose weight low carb so can kitty!
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Feel free to discount my advice if it isn't your thing, but I wonder if putting your cat on a raw or at least grain free diet would work. I am the proud owner of four ferrets, all on a raw meaty bones diet. Cats and ferrets have quite a few things in common, the biggest being that they're both obligate carnivores. This means that grains/fruits/veggies are by and large undegestible to them. They have little to no nutritional value to them in most cases, and they have to eat more kibble/food containing grain to pick up the same amount of nutrition than if they ate raw. This is most likely why many people see better results with wet cat food. There is more water, and more meat with less grain. Also, both animals have shorter digestive tracts making it hard to pick up parasites than other animals would pick up from raw meat. I am the member of a ferret forum and many on there have had success with their cats as well as ferrets on a raw diet. Maybe it might help her to lose weight. Your vet probably knows best for you and your cat, but I thought I would mention it just in case. Good luck with your kitty!

Last edited by fatferretfanatic; 03-10-2011 at 10:45 PM.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote