Height: 5 feet 4

Default Mark Bittman takes on Mickey D's oatmeal

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...meal-wrong/?hp
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't see this as a big deal and I'd think it is pretty much expected. Look at the ingredients of many cereals. Cracklin Oat Bran might as well be a candy bar.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #3  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I just read this in the NY Times with great curiosity, since my Sunday paper had some great coupons for this new oatmeal. I'm planning a trip very soon & was hoping this might be a viable on-the-go breakfast.

And after reading Bittman's take-down, never mind. I'm making up my own little individual baggies of rolled oats & bringing them with me.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

I saw this the other day and literally thought to myself, "I KNEW it!" Like Nelie said, no surprise really.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #5  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

On trips, my family always seems to pick McDonalds for breakfast. I typically just get an order of scrambled eggs (approx 2 eggs usually) and a plain english muffin. Not great, but you pretty much know exactly what you're getting. Comes to about 310 calories and 18g protein. If it's gotta be portable, I'll just get an Egg McMuffin (about that same cals/protein, but with the random cheese product)...both have way less sugar than the oatmeal. They'll also do scrambled eggs and sausage if you're low-carbing (although I think the sausage patties do have sugar).

I prefer to eat a diet rich in nutrient rich whole foods, however, I know that on rare occasions fast food will appear in my life. Because of this, I've found choices at the big chains that I can live with and enjoy as an treat~
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

For me on trips, I either take food with me (road trip) or utilize grocery stores. It is pretty easy to pick up stuff in a grocery store and many hotels these days have fridges but I always request one if not. I also carry things with me that are portable like Luna bars. Also plain oatmeal packets are very portable as are raisins and a packet of cinnamon or even making your own.

This last trip, we went to Disneyworld and chose a hotel with a small kitchenette. We headed to the grocery store, bought a box of cereal, soy milk, blueberries and bananas. It worked out well for breakfast.

Of course those are my choices and it works for me.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:04 PM   #7  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

wow.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

One time on a trip to Las Vegas with my son we had a room with a kitchenette ( I think it might have been Circus Circus ). I went to KMart and got a coffee pot and a small pan so Icould make breakfast. I swore my son to secrecy that I went to Las Vegas and went to Kmart.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote