Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #1  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Default Cottage Cheese... how to spice it up?

Ok... so... I'm trying to get in some good protein for a post-work snack... and I have this huge container of cottage cheese in the fridge. I don't remember ever having cottage cheese before... and I don't know what I was expecting... but it just... well... the taste makes me want to throw up.

BUT... I also know that tastes can be masked... but somewhat cut up grapes isn't cutting it.

So... what do you guys put in with cottage cheese to make it taste better?
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #2  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Smile

Here are some ideas:

Put cinnamon and raisins in it.

Put half yougurt and half cottage cheese.

Make pancakes with it. I don't know a recipe off hand but someone else might have one. Maybe, under W.W. receipes.

Put Peaches or blueberries or strawberries on it and walnuts or almonds.

Use it in lasagne.

Put it on a baked potatoe.

I hope you like some of these ideas.

I use the 4% small curd. Some of the lowfat ones aren't very appealing to me either.

Last edited by VickieLou; 02-24-2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Add Information.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #3  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

I think this one's large curd... and... well... I've forced down two bites... and now I don't even feel like eating the grapes I put in it...

*sigh*

Thanks so much for the recipes! I just wanting this as a meatless alternative for protein something after workouts... until I use this up and can get some whey protein to use in shakes or something...

Like I said... thanks!!
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #4  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

That sucks you don't like it much but cool that you're trying to like it, lol.

I love hot sauce, crushed red pepper and black pepper mixed in and use it as a veggie dip for celery, cucumbers and baby carrots.

I also like it with balsamic vinegar and black pepper on top of salad.

As previous poster said, great subsititute for ricotta in pasta dishes and good on baked/mashed potatoes.

If it's still icky after all that then go with plain/flavored yogurt for the protein instead. You can strain it with cheesecloth to get the consistency of greek yogurt/sour cream but it halves the amount, though (1 cup of reg yogurt = 1/2 cup strained.)
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:42 AM   #5  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

I love fruit cocktail with a little syrup over it mixed in with the cottage cheese with lots of banana..

i found a recipe for using cottage cheese and eggs to make flourless pancakes..those were amazing..you couldnt even taste the cottage cheese..

You could puree the cottage cheese and then add fruit and ice and make a smoothie..if you add orange juice, it should overpower the cottage cheese flavour..

My fave is to do cucumber chopped tomato and olives with cottage cheese, salt and pepper and balsamic viniger drizzled all over.

Cottage cheese pureed with vanilla and cooca and sugar or splenda and then semi frozen to make a ice cream type consistency and topped with a little whip might be good..
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

I like it with lots of pepper on top of warm toast.
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:06 AM   #7  

S/C/G: HW 231/ S158 / C125.7/ G120

I'm not a big fan of cottage cheese by itself. With some unsweetened applesauce, and half a banana cut up and mixed in, I enjoy it. I make protein pancakes using cottage cheese on occasion, as well as mixing the cottage cheese into pasta sauces, mashed potatoes, and some other dishes.

Protein pancakes (makes 4):
2 egg whites (or 1 egg)
1/2 c cottage cheese
1/4 c bisquick

Mix altogether, and drop onto hot skillet using 1/4c measuring cup. Cook like pancakes, turning once.

Hope this helps
back2reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

I don't like it either, but I put it on a crispbread (like Wasa brand) and then put salsa on it. Then, I like it.

I also blend cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, and skim milk with frozen fruit for a great smoothie. If it's not sweet enough, I add some agave nectar. Sometimes I will add low fat ricotta cheese to the mix, but sparingly.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I think it greatly depends on the brand/fat content for me. I looooooove cottage cheese - but I can't stand Daisy cottage cheese, nor do I like the Target brand generic cottage cheese. And you won't catch me anywhere NEAR fat free - blech. So I'm pretty specific on the brands that I like, because they all vary in consistency.

That said, I love my cottage cheese plain, or with pepper. I have never been a fan of adding sweet stuff to it. I used to eat it with potato chips.

Last edited by fitkristi; 02-25-2011 at 08:30 AM.
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

I slice up a banana, put 1/2 cup of fat free cottage cheese in with it and stir it up good. The sweetness of the banana really makes it taste good to me.

I tried someone's suggestion once of putting frozen blueberries in it, but didn't like it. Not sweet enough.

We used to get a salad brought into our office that was cottage cheese, chopped english cucumber, green olives and fresh dill. I know it sounds weird, but it was delicious!!
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #11  

I just add a very small can of chilled fruit cocktail to a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese in a bowl. Juice and all.
Plain canned peaches are great too. Or canned mandarin oranges. Be sure and add all the juice.
Swirl it around.
It tastes great that way.
JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 138/134.5/118

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2reality View Post
I'm not a big fan of cottage cheese by itself. With some unsweetened applesauce, and half a banana cut up and mixed in, I enjoy it. I make protein pancakes using cottage cheese on occasion, as well as mixing the cottage cheese into pasta sauces, mashed potatoes, and some other dishes.

Protein pancakes (makes 4):
2 egg whites (or 1 egg)
1/2 c cottage cheese
1/4 c bisquick

Mix altogether, and drop onto hot skillet using 1/4c measuring cup. Cook like pancakes, turning once.

Hope this helps
Um.... THANK you! I saw this earlier and made some for dinner tonight... can I say, YUM!
LLBoldAsLove87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:38 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 304/186.0/150

Height: 5.0

Pepper and tomato slices. So good.
Jonesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:03 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 335/313.6

Height: 5'4

cottage cheese and tomatoes one of my top 10 fav foods..and when i didn't have tomatoes i would add ketsup..love the tomato and creamy mixture.

also good with black pepper and salt, personally i can't imagine putting fruit in it, it sounds gross
reptogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:47 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 304/186.0/150

Height: 5.0

Reptogirl. We are both so from Indiana and the tomatoes in cottage cheese proves it. Hah!
Jonesie is offline   Reply With Quote