Old 02-22-2011, 02:45 PM   #1  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Default crockpot meats/spice rubs

I am totally in love with my reworked pulled pork recipe but I am looking for more.

Let me tell you what I do:

1 pound pork loin
texas bbq spice rub (smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, thyme, allspice)
4 tbsp Kraft Onion BBQ sauce
1/4 cup water
2 big onions, sliced
4 cloves garlic, whole

Rub the pork loin with spice rub. Spread onion and garlic into bottom of crockpot, add water & meat, spoon BBQ sauce on top.

Cook on low all day.

Super easy, very tasty and not many points.

So now I am looking for more ideas for beef, chicken and pork. I looked through tons of receipes here but most of them use either canned soup or soup mixes or dressing etc. I don't use those. I am looking for different spice mixes though.

Does anybody have recipes for spice mixes? I am looking for all kinds of rubs: Marroccan, Spanish, Mexican, Indian, Italian, Cajun anything... as long as it has spices only.

Thanks!

Last edited by josey; 02-22-2011 at 03:50 PM.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #2  
.::Loren::.

S/C/G: 184/174.5/135

Height: 5'

now THAT sounds good! Do you think I could make that with venison? We got three deer this week and are looking for new ways to use up the meat
Lnm130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #3  
Suck it up, buttercup!

Uh, I don't know. I am a recovering vegetarian and I don't think I have had venison yet. Try it! Let me know how you like it, I might try venison then :-)
Old 02-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #4  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Lnm- I don't see why not as long as it is venison roast because it'll become soft and fall apart, not sure about the leg steaks (if that's what you have) though.

I've only made stew with venison roast and it was good.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #5  
I got this

BTW Josey- your recipe sounds SO good! Will have to give that a try when pork loin goes on sale around here.

Sorry, I don't have any specific spice mixes or any crockpot ideas for you, I usually grab whatever I have on hand then use them to taste, lol.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #6  
Suck it up, buttercup!

Oh, I forgot... If you like it really smoky add some liquid smoke. I think I have to make it again on the weekend. I am craving pulled pork.
What do you guys think? Can I freeze smaller portions (in a muffin tin) to have some at hand for sandwiches?
Old 02-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #7  
I got this

Lovelove liquid smoke- just a little bit of it goes a long way. Yea, you can freeze as long it's sealed really well and tight and not for too long either, say 2 weeks to a month, max.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #8  
Suck it up, buttercup!

Pulled pork weekend! A supermarket here had porkloin on sale (huge packages) so I made a monster batch of pulled pork (over 8 pounds of meat!). It cooked all night and half a day on low and turned out amazing! We had some for dinner and then I portioned the leftovers (haha!) into muffin pans. We have over 40 muffin-sized portions in the freezer now. Small enough to add to a sandwich for lunch or double portions for a nice dinner. That totally made my weekend. I am sooo looking forward to pulled pork lunches :-)

Last edited by josey; 02-28-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #9  
Suck it up, buttercup!

I tried something new yesterday and turned out very yummy! I sliced some onions and had chickenbreast. Layered them both in the crockpot (onions on bottom) and added about a cup of salsa. I use Safeway brand salsa (not many calories, no fat) because it has some veggies like corn and beans in it and is not hot. I added quite a bit of chili flakes though. 1/2 day on low heat and it was flaky and juice like pulled pork. We had some wild rice, a teaspoon of sour cream and some Frank's hot sauce with it. (We like it spicy). Very yummy and not many points!
Old 03-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #10  
I got this

Yum!! I love Southwestern style salsa! GV brand (walmart) Southwestern Salsa is pretty low in calories too.

Speaking of trying something new- I've been making my instant rice (rice sides by knorr, etc) in the oven for a while now, very "fluffy" and more flavorful compared to stove-top cooking. Preheat oven to 350 degrees- mix 2 cups boiling water (preferably broth for me since it eliminates the need for butter) in shallow baking pan* with one packet of instant rice, cover with foil or lid and bake for 20-25 minutes.
* I used 8 by 8 metal pan and I sprayed some PAM on the pan because I was worried about the rice sticking.