Old 02-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Default The looooooong haul

I've been contemplating this journey. I'm in a research study where they keep ongoing records of my health including (of course) weight. I was there yesterday, and for the first time realized that when I started my weight was 263...more than the 254 that I had always thought of as my "top". (Changed my counter today.)

Over thirteen years I managed to lose 20 pounds which I consistently kept off. (Actually I managed to lose about 200 pounds because of the losses and gains...my chart looks like a mountain range.

Six months ago I was 244. Yesterday I was 223. I'm terrified that six months from now when I'm back I will have bounced back again. (Interestingly, that first 20 pounds seems to stay off...but nothing else.)

I keep telling myself I am in it for the long haul. I'll be happy if I am even five pounds down six months from now. (Actually I won't be happy, but it will be only the second time that I have had two visits with consecutive losses and that would be big.)

As happy as I feel about my most recent 20 pound loss, I also feel really discouraged. I'm not sure what will make this time different. How are each of you coping with the long haul?
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Hee -- I have mountain ranges too!

Earlier this morning I was all gloomy doomy because I have a cold and feeling blaaaah and blaaaaaah. And then thinking about being just -5 lbs into a -100 lb journey made me go "Argh. Blaaaaaaahhhh! Super duper blaaaaaaaah!"

Then after a rest, I got my resolve in order. I know I can lose, darn it. I have before. And ok, I'm not succeeding at the maintaining bit. But dang it took 5 tries before I could cope with Christmas and NOT gain, right? I've only been at the maintain place twice.

Fine. So I have to practice it some more.

So here I am losing again and I will get there again... and this time I'll try to stay at the maintain place for longer than the last time and however long that is... it will be a success.

Because sooner or later... I'm going to learn it and manage to STAY THERE!

Hang in there!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #3  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

How am I coping with the long-haul? One day at a time. With patience. I'm sure I can do this because I deserve to be healthy. You can do it, too.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I think of it in terms of small goals- right now my current goal is to get below 190
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #5  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

I have several ways of dealing with the long haul.

One is this thought: time will pass either way, whether I'm losing weight or not. Better to spend it losing weight, no matter how slowly, than being utterly mindless and gaining.

A related thought is that the older I get, the more telescoped time becomes. A year seems to go by in the blink of an eye. I started my current job two years ago and it still feels like my "new job". So if it takes me another year or two to reach my goal (whatever that is), I know that I'll look back and be amazed how quickly the time went by.

Finally, I have been learning to live in the moment more - instead of thinking thoughts like "ugh, I won't be able to eat such-and-such ever again," I focus on making the right choice now, in this moment, every time I am faced with a choice. That transforms the process from being a "long haul" to being a matter of doing the best I can right now, a much more manageable, less daunting proposition.

As to whether it's working, only time will tell. But here is what time has told so far: I've been at it for a year and half - longer than I've ever stuck with a plan before - and I've lost 75 pounds. So for me, these ways of thinking seem to be doing the trick, so far.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #6  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Definitely breaking it into small goals. Also including goals that aren't based on the scale. Things like minutes spent exercising each week, number of veggie servings in a day, time between "cheats", number of reps you can do for particular exercises, etc.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 274/258/?

My chart is a mountain range also. I have lost 100 lbs 3 different times. Keeping it off is my problem. Here I am back again. Small baby steps is how I deal with the long haul. Started my plan with week. Hopeful to start the exercise next week.
jen5309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:41 AM   #8  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Baby steps - i changed the things that seemed easiest first and have gradually added more changes as the year has progressed. I'm serious about these changes being for the rest of my life (and the haul just doesn't get any longer than that!) so I haven't done anything I don't think I can live with.

I love hamburgers so I've given up fast food ones but not a well made burger with quality ingredients. I have one or two a month. If I lose slower because I've enjoyed a really delicious burger then I lose slower but I'm not denying myself I really really enjoy.

I have given up most junk food but last week I had one of those cadbury caramel easter eggs this week because it's a seasonal thing I really look forward to. I won't have one (or two or four) a day till they go on sale after easter and I really pig out, but I will probably have one or more before they disappear till next year.

If i totally gave up all these sorts of treats I know it would build up and build up and I'd go on a mammoth binge that might last months and many many pounds. So my long haul is slower but planned to last.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #9  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I did it by making it my goal. My most important goal was to stick with this for a year. I made it more important than pounds lost. It was measurable and it was achievable and it felt amazing beyond words to reach that goal. I couldn't believe what I was able to accomplish in that year just because I didn't give up. Always before I'd lose a good 30 pounds or so, but I always gave up. So this time, I changed that. I saw it through.

I also made things interesting along the way. I love a good challenge. Sometimes those challenges were including new food items in my diet, or deleting food items from my diet. Sometimes those challenges were fitness related. I always have some sort of fitness challenge going on whether here on the boards, with my own mind or with some members at the gym with some friendly competition.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote