Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #1  
tamIam

S/C/G: size16/size14/size10

Height: 5'7"

Default Ulcer! Or, How I mistakenly lost five pounds!

I don't know where this goes. Is unlikely weightloss scenarios a category? lol

I cannot believe I have done this to myself. Actually I can. Picture it - It's mid-December and I am driving home from the University listening to the CBC. On comes a news item: Aspirin is now good for preventing cancer! I think to myself, my husband is a smoker, we are both drinkers, we eat moderately healthfully but we often have junkfood around the house. Heck! Aspirin may be just the thing to add to our little vitamin regimen! But ...why by the fancy low dose aspirin when we have a whole full bottle of full strength aspirin right up in the cupboard? It's a waste of money!!
It's the end of January and I am starting to have stomachaches. Daily. And I don't know why! Genius!! My cheapness has gotten the better of me once again. The kindly doctor looked at me as though I was tough case and told me that low dose aspirin is usually what people take. Did I detect a little patronizing tone? I don't know maybe it was imagination.
In a nutshell, I may have an ulcer or some ugly sounding thing called gastritis - as such I am on the proton pump inhibitor, AND cannot have coffee (which I adore), cigarettes (which I kind of adore once a week when I have...), a box a wine (which I adore) or fried foods (which I adore but do not mention to anyone).
It has been a tough couple of weeks. Although I feel slightly better and have it on good authority that I look great.
So it's not a diet plan or a lifestyle change that I've made consciously. It is a mishap which has resulted in health benefits. And fewer hangovers.

Last edited by greeneggsandtam; 02-17-2011 at 10:58 PM.
greeneggsandtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/157/120

Height: 5'1"

Gastritis is not fun to live with. Neither is ulcer. I hope you get well soon.
marianne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:06 AM   #3  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

i had a similar experience when i had extremely swollen gums few years ago. i had to swish around mouthwash to numb it, and every time i ate i had to brush and swish again. made me rather not eat until i was ravenous. yup. great diet. but not something i want to do on purpose. especially the part about looking like my whole right side of my jaw and cheek were swollen in public.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:27 AM   #4  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Oh man, ulcers are no fun. I once took an antibiotic for my skin that apparently gave me really awful heartburn, but as I was nineteen and stupid I didn't know it was hearburn -- I thought the pills were getting 'stuck' in my esophagus -- and developed a nascent ulcer. So I had to give up coffee, alcohol, fried foods, salty foods, spicy foods -- pretty much everything sinful and delicious in life.

I love your sense of humor about it all. Reading your post I just had to laugh -- yeah, that experience was terrible, but I was so healthy! And I was probably in less pain overall what with all the hangovers and insomnia headaches I wasn't having. There's always a silver lining, right? Congrats on the extra 5 lbs!
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote