Old 08-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #1  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Talking EMOTIONAL EATING: How to heal ...

* SPIRITUAL STRATEGIES TO HEAL EMOTIONAL EATING *

Some of you have mentioned that you want to try these strategies and wanted to bookmark them, so I decided to put them into a thread so you can go back and read them again & again, as I do often ...

When my emotions or the neggies plague me and tempt me to eat when I am not hungry -- I start singing praise songs out loud, and reciting praise Psalms like #145; and that takes it away every time. (TIP: the book of PSALMS is chocked full of positive verse and praise samples; and positive, inspirational QUOTES work well too)

Like GARY (EZMONEY) says, you cannot think two thoughts at once -- so you want to counteract the negative, emotional thoughts with positive, joyous ones. Try it, you'll be amazed how well it works ...

This is the strategy that I believe the LORD gave me to deal with emotional issues in my life, so that I can be truly free to soar like an eagle ... I know my emotions were leading me to eat things that weren't good for me.

Now I have learned this was the strategy of YKW to keep me from succeeding and thinking badly of myself, I have found new tools and strategies of my own -- like singing, praise, reciting scriptures, reading Psalms & other positive verses, memorizing positive verse, writing songs & poems, and journalling.

HE WHO SINGS ... frightens away his ills! ~ Cervantes ~

Here is a song that means a lot to me about this subject; and it is fast becoming a mantra song for me -- It is called "BEAUTIFUL" and sung by Mercyme. I want you to listen to it until you believe it. Enjoy ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C2o0jHNRuU

I think this was a huge breakthrough for me. I did a study on the value of PRAISE and found that this was a gift to us from GOD, to be used as a tool to comfort us, to teach us, to heal us, and to help us in our daily walk with Him. GOD didn't ask us to praise Him becuz He's conceited, or just becuz we know that He deserves it; but becuz we need it to bless our lives.

As I was sharing in another thread -- I had lots of emotional issues to deal with while trying to heal my eating issues; actually, it was my emotional issues that led me to eat incorrectly in the first place (plus social conditioning and a lack of knowledge too).

Now I know how unhealthy some foods are for MY body (ie sugar, salt, and simple starches), I can mindfully, make better choices. The only clincher for me was the emotional factor, which is what I am working on right now.

Here are my personal issues -- 1) emotional upset from the past & present 2) hurt feelings 3) being embarrassed or made fun of 4) being criticized by others 5) feeling unloved & unappreciated & perceptions of same 6) feeling judged; and 7) boredom.

I have been very transparent here -- but I think if we are honest, these are truly the things that we need addressed on top of those that are related to "societal conditioning" and "knowledge". We need to re-learn how to eat healthy again (forgoing the junkies & fast foods); and we now have the knowledge we need to do that (eating healthy foods in the right portions, plus getting regular exercise and a good night sleep).

BUT, we need healing -- we need prayer first; then we need loving; being accepted; good teaching; good tools (like these strategies); practical help (like this site); and support by loving, caring people who have that special gift.

Sooo ... these are my list of new spiritual strategies to deal with the emotional issues listed above -- PRAISE, FORGIVENESS, HEALING, LOVE, PRAYER, GRACE, and CHARITY (serving others). (***see explanations further down this post***)

Whenever I was upset about something or with someone, I would invariably find myself wandering to the kitchen or to the fridge to eat something. So, I prayed about this a lot -- what could I do to heal those hurts instead of eating to console myself? (BTW, I really believe that we may have been conditioned to use food for consolation when we were young.)

Over time, I really believe the LORD showed me these strategies, and I started practicing them. It does take some practice, but after a short while, it starts to become second-nature; and the Holy Spirit will automatically bring them to your mind and thoughts. It's like the memory verses -- whenever you need them, the Holy Spirit brings them to mind.

I was reading how JESUS answered every temptation with scripture. That gave me another idea. If JESUS used scripture verse to combat temptation, then so should we. Remember, the first temptation involved food; so He really knows how we feel -- see also, Hebrews 2:18 & 4:15.

I memorize short positive verses which makes it easier, saying the book, chapter & verse numbers before & after the scripture. If you have any difficulty memorizing short joyful scriptures, just read them right from the Word. The last several chapters of Psalms have great PRAISE verses that you can recite; sometimes I even sing them to myself and GOD, of course.

JESUS, the disciple Paul, and King Solomon -- were actually great early psychologists ~ all suggesting that we use good thoughts and words as tools to overcome our challenges in this life.

PHILIPPIANS 4:8 ~ "Whatsoever things are TRUE; whatsoever things are HONEST; whatsoever things are JUST; whatsoever things are PURE; whatsoever things are LOVELY; whatsoever things are OF GOOD REPORT; if there be any VIRTUE; and if there be any PRAISE, think on these things."

PROVERBS 23:7 ~ "... for as he thinks in his heart, so is he ..."

EPHESIANS 4:23/24 ~ "Be renewed in the spirit of your mind, putting on new attitudes of righteousness and holiness."

ROMANS 12:2 ~ "Be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind."

Here is a brief explanation of these strategies --

FORGIVENESS ~ is an amazing healing tool. This one is a choice; and it will help you heal your hurts (esp from others). You kinda "fake it until you feel it" -- the important thing is to make the choice to forgive; you don't have to feel it. I just say out loud -- I choose to forgive so and so; and then ask GOD to forgive them too.

How many times do we forgive? JESUS said, "seventy times seven" or, many times (Matthew 18:22). How many times will we need forgiving in our lives? Unlimited times, I'm sure. There will be many times that we have disagreements with our spouses, children, family, neighbors, co-workers, friends, or others, that stir up our emotions; and we need the tool of forgiveness in order to heal the relationship and move on.

How do we get over these situations unless we forgive and let go of them? "Don't let the sun go down on your anger" is wise advice (Ephesians 4:26). Forgiveness can heal the emotions of hurt, anger, sadness, and sorrow ... yes, we can even forgive that: forgive the loved one who left us; forgive GOD; forgive life for hurting us; forgive ourselves for feeling hurt, sad, angry, or even guilty for remaining alive and well.

JESUS showed us the greatest example of forgiveness by dying on the cross to forgive all mankind, for all sin, for all time. GOD showed us by forgiving us first (see Isaiah 44:22 & Isaiah 103:12 & Hebrews 10:16/17).

EDIT TO ADD: I recently read a story about a woman who was the victim of an atrocity: she was gang-raped while volunteering in an underdeveloped country. She was asked if & how she had managed to heal that hurt; and she said "Yes, by CHOOSING TO FORGIVE her attackers". She went on to explain that she chose to forgive them becuz of their human weaknesses: that is, their ignorance & lack of civility. She said that she didn't forgive the act or the crime they committed; for that was a fact, but she realized that she must forgive the person(s) who committed the act/crime/hurt, so that she could heal.

And, I just read another story that said that those who hurt us go on with their lives, not realizing how their words and/or actions affected us and those in our lives (ie our families). So in order to heal, we need to choose to forgive, to take the power to hurt us away from them.

This is why FORGIVENESS is so important; so that we can heal and move on with our lives to accomplish what good GOD has planned for us; and so that others can be free to be forgiven or freed from the burden of guilt/blame and moreover, be free to repent & change. For GOD wants us all to be saved ...

PRAYER ~ BUT, I don't stop there ... I also ask Him to "BLESS THEM" (JESUS said this remember?) I PRAY that the LORD will bless that person who hurt me in whatever way they need, so that they won't feel the need to do that anymore -- ie if they are tired, to give them rest; if they are worried, give them peace; if they are envious, fill their needs abundantly; if they are sick, help them get well; if they are sad, bring them joy again; if they are hurt, help them heal; and so forth.

Also pray for yourself and/or ask for prayer for strength, peace, calm, patience, or whatever you need to cope with the situation you are dealing with at the time.

* See the note about THE LORD'S PRAYER under the PRAISE section below for more *

LOVE ~ then after forgiving that person, I am nice to them anyways; that's the LOVE that JESUS commanded us to have for others. We need to realize that HURT PEOPLE -- HURT PEOPLE ... meaning people often hurt people becuz they are hurting in some way themselves. This doesn't excuse them by any means, it just helps us understand why they are doing it.

You know, GOD loves us; and JESUS loves us, so why don't we love ourselves? JOHN 16:27 ~ "For the Father himself LOVETH YOU ..." JOHN 15:9 ~ "As the Father hath loved me, SO I HAVE LOVED YOU: continue ye in my love." (Jesus)

You know, the more I read, the more I am convinced that some people are overweight simply becuz -- THEY DON'T LOVE THEMSELVES!!! Self-hatred, self-loathing, self-flagellation, self-abasement, self-criticism, self-denial, and extreme selflessness all contribute to using food as a weapon against oneself instead of as fuel to nourish and heal the body. If you truly love yourself and your body, you will want to take good care of it.

Quote: "AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT ACCEPT AND LOVE YOUR BODY (and yourself), IT WILL RESIST YOUR DESIRE TO HAVE IT BE DIFFERENT. Practice liking your body as it is, because that is the only mind-set from which you can change it." (Dr.Andrew Weil, M.D.)

We also have to re-learn how to LOVE OURSELVES too. One way is to be nice to ourselves, including how we talk to and about ourselves; and by doing caring things for ourselves -- taking time for ourselves, pampering ourselves, engaging in activities and socializing with people that bring joy and love into our lives.

We learn to forgive ourselves (Roman 8:1) by claiming the GRACE that the LORD earned for us and gave us as a gift; then we can start loving ourselves again. When we kick-start the healing process -- by loving ourselves, we will just naturally start taking better care of ourselves too.

We don't always get loved in this life the way we need to or should; so sometimes we have to take steps to love ourselves, and to bring more love into our lives in some other way, ie find more loving friends; or better yet, get a puppy!

GRACE ~ This is also helping me with anxiety and trust issues as well; the praise helps me to keep my focus on GOD, and on JESUS when I need peace and calm (like when we are sick, for instance). I also practice forgiving myself and remind myself that I am now under GRACE and this gives me peace and hope. When I have hope and peace -- my joy abounds, so that healing can take place too.

"There is therefore now NO CONDEMNATION for those who are in Christ Jesus ..." Roman 8:1

What does this mean? You are forgiven, already! For everything -- in your past, present, and future ... that is true Grace! You are now living under a special kind of Grace, so you are free to be all that you can be. All you have to do is believe it; claim it; and live it ...

PRAISE ~ incorporates thankfulness and gratefulness, all in one. It shows GOD that you appreciate all that He has done for you in your life. When we thank Him and praise Him, it lifts OUR spirits and fills US with JOY! WOW, we praise GOD and WE get JOY!

PRAISE IS THE SONG OF A SOUL SET FREE!

Did you know that there are more than 800 glad verses in the Bible? That is -- positive, uplifting scriptures that we can meditate on; more than enough for every day for over two years ... *** NOTE: See Post #13 for examples of PRAISE VERSES from the bible ...

THE LORD'S PRAYER can be very helpful to us as a strategy to heal our emotional eating. This is how JESUS taught us to pray.

Did you ever notice that it starts and ends with PRAISING GOD (in Matthew 6/KJV)?

Plus, we give Him PERMISSION ~ we ask that HIS will be done in our lives -- what is good & right & best for us, in every way.

PROVISION ~ after that, we ask GOD to provide for our needs: our daily bread (our food).

PARDON ~ Then we ask Him to forgive us for our debts, as we (choose to) forgive (or pardon) others as well.

PROTECTION ~ Then we ask HIM to keep us from temptation (food is one); and deliver us from all evil (and that includes negative thought).

Then, we PRAISE HIM again; ending the prayer on a positive note! I say this prayer every morning; it's a great way to start the day ...

THE LORD's PRAYER is also a good strategy tool to use whenever you are tempted (say, to eat when you are not really hungry); or feeling oppressed by "any kind" of negativity or stress (including sadness, grief, anger, etc).

BTW, while some people have to relearn how to listen for hunger signals -- many others (like myself) have to learn how to IGNORE hunger signals that won't turn off! That is where the prayer about "temptation" is so helpful. Ask the LORD to "quiet" those false hunger signals. I believe this is your body trying to fool you into eating, when you KNOW that you have eaten sufficiently for the day.

TIP: After praying about this, you can try some practical tricks like drinking black currant or other herbal teas; green or black tea with milk or lemon; plain water, flavored or sweet water, and this will help the urge to pass. Some people may have a glass of milk and/or coffee with cream works well too. This fools the body into thinking that it had something to eat ...

HEALING ~ I also pray for healing from any hurts from my past and/or present, so that I may be free from that bondage (no sadness, bitterness, resentment, or residue anger). This frees us and others to be at peace.

How to heal the past? We must let it go ... first pray, then forgive, then let it go. Paul said, "This one thing I do, leaving the past behind, and looking forward to what is ahead" (Phil 3:13). Live for today ...

"YESTERDAY ENDED LAST NIGHT, SO LET IT GO!!!"

Now, it may take some time to go through all the hurts, and those who have hurt you in your past; as some people have suffered through all kinds of abuses in their childhood that need healing.

Some people come from dysfunctional homes where they didn't receive the love and care one needs to be emotionally well; and, some people may be in relationships now that are nothing less than toxic -- not healthy at all, so they may have to make the choice to separate themselves from them, or get some counseling.

Regarding stressful situations and people ~ there are some practical solutions that you can use to heal stress. We can't always avoid stress, BUT if you can, maybe you should for awhile to help you heal (ie take a break or a vacation; or make new friends).

When you can't, you have to find other ways to heal -- getting away to a quiet place (JESUS did this often: going to the sea, or up a mountainside, or to a garden to pray). Meditating on scriptures and positive things; and listening to soothing music is very helpful too. We are encouraged to recite psalms; and sing hymns and other songs for a good reason -- they are great healing tools.

The point is -- to find ways to heal; and find solutions to your problems that do not involve food. This calls us to be very creative!

"DISTRACTION IS AS GOOD AS A CURE" ... they say.

Lots of people on this site have tips on practical strategies they use to avoid or distract them from food -- going for a walk or a drive; visiting family or friends; talking on the phone; reading or watching tv; coming on the net and to this site; volunteering; exercising or going to a gym; enjoying sports & clubs; hobbies and crafts, etc. All of these things can help distract you until the temptation to eat goes away ~ essentially, you are just keeping very busy.

CHARITY ~ there is nothing better than serving others to heal us and get our minds on something outside ourselves so that we can heal. It is a kind of distraction that has many benefits for us and others. We not only help others, but we will earn rewards for ourselves (like rebuilding our personal confidence and satisfaction in accomplishing things); and don't forget that GOD notices every good thing that we do for others too!

For instance, to heal my boredom issue (among many other things), I am now crocheting charity blankets; it keeps my hands busy; and I am giving to and serving others as I am healing.

QUOTE: "When we care for others, our burdens are lifted. When we have joy serving others, and helping others -- we can forget our circumstances: having hope and sharing hope at the same time."

Our emotions do lead us to eat when we are not hungry; we try to soothe our sadness and sometimes anger, with food. Of course, this just makes things worse, not better; but what did the LORD say? Pray for those that hurt us and also pray for ourselves (and each other). Pray that GOD will deal with that person and/or situation, so that you can be free of it and heal right in the moment.

Right after that, I start PRAISING again, which brings back my Joy; then I turn around, and go do something else!

IMPORTANT NOTE: we need to incorporate these spiritual strategies on an ongoing basis to make sure we don't slip back into old habits, simply becuz healing takes time ... we didn't get this way overnight, so we must practice patience to let the Holy Spirit do his work so that we can be fully and truly healed.

We have to "practice patience" while we "practice kindness" and "practice loving ourselves" ... becuz somewhere along the way we didn't get these things OR we are not getting what we need now. That's right, what we NEED ... we all need love and GOD IS LOVE -- so we need HIM in our lives, so that HE can heal us and bless us richly.

I think some of us have been hurt more in this life than others -- we have been through some very tough times. Some people are more sensitive than others; and some people are more resilient than others too. Some people have led kinda charmed lives so far, but they may have more challenges later in life. I know I have been through a lot in my life, esp early on; so I needed a lot of healing now.

If you go to a counselor, what do they do? First, they commiserate with you -- they empathize with your plight -- maybe even helping you to understand your situation more clearly; then they may make some suggestions how you might change your thought patterns so that you can heal; and lastly, they help you find strategies to make practical improvements in your life that will help you succeed with your goals; BUT it is up to you, to carry them through ...

I have been learning this stuff over the last 5 years, and all during that time, I have lost weight and have NOT gained it back this time. So to me, that is a great success in and of itself -- and I hope to continue with these positive strategies until I reach my healthy goal and beyond ... for this is a lifelong journey.

I would be thrilled if these strategies help anyone; so, feel free to use them, by all means ... Rosebud

*PS ~ continue to follow this thread as I have posted more practical tips & helpful strategies further on ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-21-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #2  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Thank you, Rosebud-we are so blessed to have you in our group
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #3  
Rosebud

THANKS, RONNIE ~ that's so nice of you to say that! See, you are helping me to feel appreciated; and that's a good thing. I also added in a few more practical ideas & thoughts that might be helpful to us all ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 08-02-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/192/125

Height: 5'6

Thanks for all of that... some of us really need it more than you can even imagine. Thanks again.

And Ronni, your signature is just a punchline. Love it
in105days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 231/212/140

Height: 5'8

Im new to 3fc and i am so excited to have found it! It makes such a difference to have people who understand and can encourage and press you on!! Def an answser to prayer!!
Jadair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #6  
Rosebud

105 ~ you are quite welcome; and I agree about RONNIE's signature line -- it makes me laugh every time I read it!
Old 09-25-2010, 07:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 330/297/165

Height: 5'7

That was wonderful. Thank you.
jilly6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:36 PM   #8  
Rosebud

POSITIVE PROMISES FROM THE WORD ~ here are some positive, uplifting verses from scriptures that are good to think on (or meditate on) when you want to distract yourself with something upbeat ...

PSALM 23:1 ~ The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want ... (this whole psalm is so calming and reassuring)

PHIL 4:13 ~ I CAN do all things through Christ, who strengthens me ...

PSALM 3:3b ~ Thou art ... the lifter up of my head ...

PSALM 16:11 ~ In thy presence is fullness of joy ...

MARK 10:27 ~ With GOD, all things are possible ...

PSALM 18:2 ~ The LORD is my ROCK ...

JEREMIAH 30:17 ~ I WILL restore health unto you, and heal all your wounds.

ROMANS 8:31 ~ If GOD be for us, who can be against us?

LAMENTATIONS 3:23 ~ HIS compassion is new every morning ...

JOSHUA 1:5 ~ I will be with you; I will not fail you, nor forsake you ...

II TIMOTHY ~ GOD has not given you a spirit of fear; but of POWER, and LOVE, and a SOUND MIND ...

PSALM 62:8 ~ TRUST HIM at ALL TIMES ...

ISAIAH 46:4 ~ Even til your old age (hoar hairs), will I carry you; and I will deliver you ...

ISAIAH 41:10 ~ FEAR THOU NOT; for I am with you -- I will strengthen you, yea, I will help you ...

ISAIAH 40:31 ~ They that wait upon the LORD, shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run and not be weary; and they shall walk and not faint ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 11-15-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 150/130/120

Height: 5'3

This post is incredible. Thank you so much. What a blessing.

I will return to this again and again

Thanks so much

Sue xxxxoooooo
SPIRITANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:56 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 178/145/143

Height: 5ft 6

I just stumbled on this page and bookmarked this post - Such good words - In times of emotional eating, I feel like I have turned to God but I wonder if I REALLY have - I pray for healing all the time - Pray for a healthy relationship with food - And I tell my fiance that, for whatever reason, food, self image, is a cross that I've been given to carry - I know that sound TOTALLY dramatic, but it is my burden - Potentially a tool that I could use to bring myself closer to God.
SarahinBalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #11  
Rosebud

SPIRITANGEL ~ your welcome; glad that this post is helpful to you ...

SARAH ~ I have thought the same thing as you many times -- that each of us have our challenges in this life. I really believe that for some of us, it is our weight. It is interesting to note that there are so many similarities to other human flaws, like addictions to alcohol, drugs, work, golf, or whatever ...

... and what a humbling experience being overweight is. It is our "Thorn in The Flesh" so2speak, as PAUL said about his physical problem. He admitted that he had problems with nervousness or shyness in front of people, and his eye sight was so bad that he had to have helpers aid him in writing his letters to the churches, but he still did a marvelous work nevertheless, writing most of the New Testament.

I so agree that my weight problems have brought me much closer to the LORD and kept me there too. Can't get too full of yourself when you have such an obvious flaw that everyone can see; and they sure don't ever let you forget it either -- but our LORD, in His wisdom, can take such a flaw and turn it into a gem, for us.

The dross is being burnt away; and we are being tried by fire, aren't we? We have learned and will continue to learn, if we are willing. This challenge has taught me to be more considerate, more caring, more loving, more understanding, more compassionate; and less judgemental, less critical, less haughty, and less vain!

Our walk is a journey and through this we are growing towards a kind of perfection; and some day, when we meet on the other side, we will drop off this imperfect body like a heavy cloak -- and just fly ...

And in the meantime, as we are healing and learning -- remember this ... "MY GRACE IS SUFFICIENT FOR THEE!"

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 11-15-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #12  
Rosebud

HELEN MALLICOAT wrote ...

"I was regretting the past
and fearing the future ..."
and suddenly, the LORD was speaking:
"MY NAME IS 'I AM' "...
He paused. I waited.
He continued ...

"WHEN YOU LIVE IN THE PAST,
WITH ITS MISTAKES AND REGRETS,
IT IS HARD. FOR I AM NOT THERE.
MY NAME IS NOT 'I WAS'

WHEN YOU LIVE IN THE FUTURE,
WITH ITS PROBLEMS AND FEARS,
IT IS HARD. FOR I AM NOT THERE.
MY NAME IS NOT 'I WILL BE'

WHEN YOU LIVE IN THE MOMENT,
IT IS 'NOT' HARD.
FOR I AM HERE.
MY NAME IS 'I AM' "

I read this in a book that I am studying about how to find JOY in your life again; it is called "LAUGH AGAIN" by Charles R. Swindoll.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #13  
Rosebud

PRAISE is a good way to deal with emotional upsets or stresses that come our way each day. We want to get the most out of this life and live it to the fullest, so we don't want to waste unnecessary time on negative thoughts.

One of the ways to divert our attention away from stress and negativity is by being grateful & thankful for all the many things that are beautiful and wonderful in this life; and we can do that through PRAISE.

Here are just a few PRAISE VERSES to get us started ...

PSALM 145:1-3 ~ I will extol thee, my GOD; and I will bless thee forever. I will PRAISE thy name for ever and ever. Great is the Lord, and greatly to be PRAISED; and his greatness is unsearchable.

PSALM 145:10 ~ All thy works shall PRAISE thee, Oh Lord; and thy saints shall bless thee. (so bless the Lord for the beauty of the earth)

PSALM 145:21 ~ My mouth shall speak the PRAISE of the Lord; and let all flesh bless his holy name forever and ever. (thank Him for the good things He has done for you)

PSALM 146:1/2 ~ PRAISE the Lord; PRAISE the Lord, oh my soul. While I live, will I PRAISE the Lord: I will sing praises to my GOD while I have my being. (make this a new good habit)

PSALM 147:1 ~ PRAISE ye the Lord: for it is good to sing praises unto our GOD; for it is pleasant, and PRAISE is comely.

PSALM 147:7 ~ Sing unto the Lord with Thanksgiving; sing PRAISE upon the harp to our GOD. (songs & hymns would be good)

PSALM 148 ~ All of this Psalm is lovely ...

1) PRAISE ye the Lord. PRAISE ye the Lord from the heavens; PRAISE him in the heights. 2) PRAISE him all his angels; praise him all his hosts. 3) PRAISE him: sun and moon; PRAISE him all ye stars of light. 4) PRAISE him, ye heavens of heavens. 5) Let them PRAISE the Lord: for he commanded, and they were created. 6) He hath established them forever and ever. 7) PRAISE the Lord from the earth, and all deeps.

8) Fire & hail; snow & vapor; stormy wind fulfilling his word. 9) Mountains & hills, fruitful trees & cedars. 10) Beasts & all cattle; creeping things & flying fowl. 11) Kings of the earth & all people; princes & judges of the earth. 12) Both young men & maidens, old men & children. 13) Let them PRAISE the name of the Lord; for his name alone is excellent. His glory is above the earth & heaven. 14) He exalteth the horn of his people, the PRAISE of the Saints & the children of Israel. PRAISE YE THE LORD.

PSALM 149 ~ ALL of this Psalm is nice ...

1) PRAISE ye the Lord. Sing unto the Lord a new song, and his PRAISE in the congregation of the saints. 2) Let Israel rejoice in Him that made him: let the children of Zion be joyful in their King. 3) Let them PRAISE his name in the dance: let them sing PRAISES unto him with the timbrel & harp.

4) For the Lord taketh pleasure in his people: He will beautify the meek with salvation. 5) Let the saints be joyful in glory; let them sing aloud upon their beds. 6) Let the high praises of the Lord be in their mouths, and a two-edged sword in their hand. (the Word of GOD) 9) PRAISE YE THE LORD!

PSALM 150 ~ All of this Psalm is good too ...

1)PRAISE ye the LORD. PRAISE GOD in his santuary: PRAISE him in the firmament of his power. 2) PRAISE him for his mighty acts; PRAISE him according to his excellent greatness. 3) PRAISE him with the sound of the trumpet: PRAISE him with the psaltry and the harp. 4) PRAISE him with the timbrel & dance; PRAISE him with the stringed instruments & organs. 5) PRAISE him upon the loud cymbals; PRAISE him upon the high sounding cymbals. 6) LET EVERYTHING THAT HAS BREATH, PRAISE THE LORD. PRAISE YE THE LORD!

PSALM 8 ~ ALL (condensed)

"Oh Lord, our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! Who has set thy glory above the heavens. 2/ Out of the mouth of babes hast thou ordained strength, that thou might still the enemy. 3/ When I consider thy heavens, the moon & the stars, which thou has ordained; 4/ What is man that thou art mindful of him & visiteth him? 5/ For thou has made him a little lower than the angels & has crowned him with glory & honor. 6/ Thou has given him dominion over all thy works & put all things under his feet. 7/ All sheep & oxen & beasts of the field; 8/ the fowl of the air & fish of the sea & whatever passes through the sea; 9/ Oh Lord, our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!"

I Chronicles 20:10-13 ~ praise verses

"Blessed be thou, Oh Lord GOD, our Father, forever & ever. Thine, Oh Lord, is the greatness, and the Power, and the Glory, and the Victory, and the Majesty: for all that is in the heaven & in the earth is thine; thine is the Kingdom, Oh Lord, and thou art exalted as head above all. Both riches & honor come of thee; and thou reignest over all; and in thine hand are power & might; and in thine hand, it is to make great; and to give strength unto all. Now therefore, our GOD, we thank thee, and praise thy glorious name."

I Chronicles 16: 23-36 ~ Thanks & Praise

"Sing unto the Lord, all the earth; shew forth from day to day, His salvation. 24/Declare His glory & marvellous works among all nations. 25/For great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised: he also is to be revered above all; for the Lord made the heavens. 27/Glory & honor are in His presence; strength & gladness are in His place. Give unto the Lord, glory & strength. 29/Give unto the Lord, the glory due His name: bring an offering & come before Him: worship the Lord in the beauty of His Holiness. Revere Him, all the earth; (and) the world shall be stable.

34/Let the heavens be glad & the earth rejoice: let men say 'The Lord Reigns'. Let the sea roar, and the fullness thereof: let the fields rejoice, and all that is therein. Oh give thanks unto the Lord; for He is good; for His Mercy endures forever. 35/And say ye, Save us, Oh GOD of our salvation, and gather us together, and deliver us, that we may give thanks to thy Holy Name, and glory in thy praise. 36/Blessed be the Lord GOD forever & ever. And all the people said, 'Amen', and praised the Lord."

I have often heard people say something like -- OH, HALLELUJAH ANYWAYS ... this is a short mantra that can be used when something unexpected happens. You can make up your own praises and mantras too. I like to sing songs & hymns as well; so I purchased a large hymnal book at a Christian book store so that I can sing my favorites whenever I want to.

I also write my own praise songs & poems; then I can sing them as often as I like. I also write songs with a joyful theme. Reciting joyful or glad verses can put us in a more positive frame of mind; and there are literally hundreds of them in the Bible. Listening to and singing along with joyful music can do the same thing.

I also keep a GRATITUDE JOURNAL so that I can keep track of all the many blessings we have received over the years; and, all the ANSWERS TO PRAYERS as well. The busyness of life can make us forgetful: so it is wonderful to go back and see just how many times GOD has helped us and blessed us.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 04-03-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #14  
Rosebud

WANTED TO SHARE ~ about a really interesting book that I am reading right now, called "POWER IN PRAISE" by Merlin R. Carothers. This man believes that PRAISE can literally change our lives for the better. The subtitle is "How the Spiritual Dynamic of Praise Revolutionizes Lives".

*This man believes that everything that happens in life has a reason; and can be turned or changed for the good. He believes that we can and should Praise & Thank GOD for everything that happens in our life, including bad things, ie problems, etc. He thinks we should thank GOD first for the people in our lives, thank him for the problems (so we can learn from them), and then praise GOD for them as well.

*He says that from experience, when people change their mindset to one of thanks & praise, that their lives are literally transformed ...

------------------------------------

Another really good book about PRAISE is called "THE PRAYER THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING" -- The Hidden Power of Praising GOD, by Stormie OMartian.

*Stormie believes that Praise can be a kind of special prayer and communication with GOD that can literally change your life and walk with the LORD. That Praise can heal you and bring you much closer to GOD too.

I have been doing a lot of reading about the Power of Praise in our Christian walk and these books have some wonderful ideas and stories in them. I will share some thoughts from them a little later. (see above*)

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-15-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 310/290/150

Height: 5'4

Thank you--I am so blessed to have found this forum. I am reading and learning the Bible for the first time in my life and your site will be a great support for my life changing journey. I hope to be a support to others also. Thank you again---Shirl
tyme4me is offline   Reply With Quote