General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/149/140

Height: 5"6'

Default I think "Nothing tastes as good as thin " should be abandoned as a weightloss mantra

I have seen the mantra "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels" for weightloss and thought nothing of it.

But by accident I have recently stumbled upon the frightful subculture of Pro-ana which encourages bulmina and anorexia as a lifesryle choice instead of slow suicide.

I saw blog after blog of women around my age 18 and younger going through extreamly unhealthy diets. Going from eating under 1000 calories a day one week, then binge eating the next. It was clear that every girl was suffering through depression. Their blogs were full of disturbing comments from other girls in the same lifestyle, who were encouraging them.

I read all these blogs in fascinated horror and could not believe what I was reading. However one phrase kept popping up

"Nothing tastes as good as thin feels"

This is not meant to insult anyone who has used their phrase before.

But I personally feel this phrase can be easily twisted to have unfortunate implications
DreamsOfAtropos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:53 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I agree. I don't care for that expression. To me "Thin" is not a feelings word. "Happy" or "Sad" or "angry" -- those are feeling words.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:37 AM   #3  
You'll be given love...

S/C/G: 328/283/140.00

Height: 5'5

My sentiments exactly. And ironically I stumbled onto some Mom&Daughter Etsy venture where she had a pendant that said this. I don't think she knew the drama and horror behind the statement and there was no way to contact her...
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #4  
Health and Happiness

S/C/G: Restart May 2012: 206/161/fit

Height: 5'5"

I'm with you on this. I personally have a history of eating disorders and have spent some time in my much more unhealthy past on sites like you described. That phrase means something entirely different to me than the way people around here mean to use it. It does put me back into the eating disordered mindset a bit. The use of the phrase, even in the context of healthy weight loss, just rubs me the wrong way.
GardenBurglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I've always hated it! What's so good about thin? Healthy is better. We could ditch the word skinny too - neither are attractive.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190.8/185/140

I don't know. Everything phrase can mean something different to each person and while I don't care for the phrase either, I don't mind if others find solace or motivation in it. There is nothing wrong with the phase itself (IMO).
serendipityberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

For the same reason, I had trouble when someone posted a while ago with the word "Thinspiration" in the title.

Context is everything. Some posts of encouragement for members here could do double duty in some of those pro-eating disorder forums.The difference is that we're posting encouragement to people who are trying to get **healthier**.

In fact, personally, to make certain of this, I look carefully at people's current & goal weights & at their tickers to confirm that seems to be their intention. If I have a feeling that, from the person's previous posts, they're teetering in disorder-ish territory, and just can't stop losing & losing, I don't give them more encouragement on weight loss or abstention. Due to my own personal history & struggles, I'd be horrified to think that I had contributed toward unhealthy behaviors.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 216/see ticker/145

My mantra is "Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels". It works for me every time I want to binge. My goal isn't to be Thin ~ it's to be healthy and fit.
Koolmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #9  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

I take a lot of inspiration from a modified version of the phrase:
Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels.
Thin does not always equal healthy, but healthy always will feel good!
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 258/238/135

Height: 5'6"

i think little girls with eating problems will use other "phrases" or say other things or put other things on websites if we quit saying that particular phrase-i think you are being much too sensitive!
-fm
foodmasochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Haven't you heard someone say " so and so has been sick , poor thing she is so thin " ? I always associate thin with not being healthy. I prefer to be at a healthy weight. I don't mind the term slim or slender as much, but thin turns me off.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 186/186/120

Height: 5'2"

I think in an ED context the saying is terrible and I was once there and when I said that I meant no food even a carrot was worth maybe getting fat. I shudder to think of that time but I also think that it can be used in a different way that isnt negative.

Nothing tastes as good feels is a good reason not to eat that pint of Ben and Jerry's because eating that isnt worth sabotaging your weightloss. The Ben and Jerry's will never taste as good as getting to your goal will feel.

Just my 2 cents.
Sarahlynn is offline   Reply With Quote