General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #1  

Default Those with low thyroid, a caffeine question...

How sensitive to caffeine are you? I just had a cup of hot cocoa, which has less caffeine than decaf, and I feel dizzy and jittery. I have low thyroid but not horribly low thyroid. Can you just not have caffeine, or do you notice that you are really sensitive to caffeine too? I'm just wondering if this is a true link because cocoa has so many heart benefits and I just dont want to stop. I make my cocoa with pure ground cocoa (sugar free). So, I know I'm getting the good concentrated stuff but I'm hoping the caffeine wont make me have to stop.
garnet8677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #2  

Oh wow, ok. Well, maybe I'm just caffeine sensitive. I've been having a lot dizzy moments and I noticed this for the first time this week. I wasn't sure if maybe just BP increase too. hmmm I'll just keep my journal going. thanks!
garnet8677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190.8/185/140

Height: 5'8"

Has caffeine not effected you this way before? Sometimes I feel this way from caffeine (especially when dieting, since you are eating less and your blood volume might be lower) but it isn't from my thyroid. When I was extremely low thyroid, the effects of that made me very dizzy, and I suppose caffeine would have made it worse. But if you are on meds and your synthetic hormone is working for you, caffeine shouldn't effect you any differently.
serendipityberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #4  
Reluctant Adult

I've been diagnosed hypothyroid for the past 27 years and on medication for same. I've never experienced a sensitivity to caffeine, and I've never been instructed by a physician to curtail my intake because of it. I've enjoyed my same really big cup of strong coffee with milk every single morning with no ill effects. I hope you can continue to enjoy your cocoa as well!
raebeaR is offline   Reply With Quote