Old 02-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #1  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

Default a muscles challenge?

anyone interested in doing this? we have several weight loss and accountability challenges. i just really need to work on getting my muscle back. anyone interested in doing this type of challenge?
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/176/140

Height: 5'4"

Yes!!!! I want to go from flab to FAB (and lean)!!
LindseyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:36 PM   #3  
I CAN do this!

i knew i wasn't the only one!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:37 PM   #4  

Heck no! What's your plan?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:40 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

More details please.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:21 PM   #6  
I CAN do this!

well...not really sure. need to measure it somehow, possibly with tape measure, but the real 'test' of my regained strength is doing what i used to do, or better. i was doing 50lbs (2 25lb dumbells) doing squats. i could do more weight with a barbell or this other type of barbell that is curved, but the dumb bells were more comfortable, but still felt like the max wt. i could as a free wt. ok that was long winded.

i felt like i was really strong before, but in the last 2 months i haven't had any wt training other than moving boxes, which aren't heavy enough to make me stronger. so any training will improve the muscles.

my focus is always on my lower half. squats, lunges, a million stairs. i have a 'gym' at home. punching bag, weights, i think i'll definitely be using those.

as far as the challenge. not really sure about what guidelines should be, or how to measure our progress. we could do some fitness checks, like a 1 rep max, or how many of certain exercise we can do, before and after.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:20 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 138/134.5/118

Im in! I'm really loving pushing myself and seeing what my body can do (running at 9mph on the treadmill, hiking 7 miles, squatting 4x10 95lbs) ... I'm still figuring out my weight-training routine. I'm not entirely sure I'm working out in the most efficient way, I'm thinking about getting a trainer just for an afternoon to teach me! I want to be toned and strong!
LLBoldAsLove87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:49 AM   #8  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Well, I'm a total beginner. I'm not up to 25 lbs weights!

So maybe just something simple.

I'm finishing up a cardio based PALA. I'd be game to do another run, but fit in 2-3 of the star bits as weight workouts.

Could that work? That way people can do their 2-3 weight workouts per week at the level they are at.

Then it's just a 6-8 week run for people to earn their PALA award.

Long enough to feel like a challenge, but short enough to be doable.

A.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:25 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post

I'm finishing up a cardio based PALA. I'd be game to do another run, but fit in 2-3 of the star bits as weight workouts.

Could that work? That way people can do their 2-3 weight workouts per week at the level they are at.

Then it's just a 6-8 week run for people to earn their PALA award.

Long enough to feel like a challenge, but short enough to be doable.

A.
I like this idea! I'm game!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #10  
I CAN do this!

oh no, i don't expect any of us to be lifting at the same weights, even for different body parts it's different. sometimes it's like i'm superhuman, i just can't get my quads to hurt, ok well that came out weird lol. i mean it gets hard to challenge my legs after a certain point. i didn't want to be the leader, it sounds like that plan is simple enough. we could just report that we got our wt training done, or however we are increasing strength.

i'm just not sure how to measure the progress. i know when i look at myself, i'll feel stronger, and look better, but measuring in some way, i can see the progress better. feels like more of an accomplishment.

we could even do little challenges. see if we can do more squats, push ups, jumping rope (great for the calf and heart muscles) or real life activities.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #11  
I CAN do this!

anyone want to add any feedback?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #12  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Well, I know I'll keep a log of what weights I use. I'd like to see me stronger at the end of the 6-8 weeks.

A.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #13  

I wasn't planning on doing weights necessarily. I wanted to work on strengthening my core by doing Pilates and doing mat work. I also thought I'd get lean doing a P90X/Insanity hybrid...a bit different from y'alls plan, but that's ok!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:28 PM   #14  
I CAN do this!

actually, it was ages (well several months) of just using my body weight before i even used weights. in the gym, i really prefer using the machines. much less intimidating. but at home (because i'm not going to a gym, just my home gym) it's extremely expensive to have machines like that. much better to have free weights, and stuff that takes up less space. i really only started using weights because doing squats without weight was so ineffective. i would do some 'real quick' before bed, but eventually it turns into 15 mins before i even got to the 'burn'. or something like that. seemed to take forever.

i'll do a mix of punching bag, stair sprints (did those today whoo hoo!), weights- mostly lower body work, and whatever else i can think of. i have a recumbent bike, but till i get the resistance fixed, it's not much of a workout.

my fav. workouts, and that REALLY challenge me are cathe friedrich's. she has some beginner videos. mostly med to advanced workouts. they are all on u tube (clips) and many are on fit tv channel. i just take notes on certain workouts, or mix in moves that are really effective into what i'm already doing. ok, so the short version of that was, i'll be doing more than weights, but i won't be spending any money. lol.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #15  
I CAN do this!

just popping in to say, i was so excited last night, i couldn't sleep. i kept imagining myself running lots of stair sprints effortlessly, and having leg muscle i can SEE! i still have a long way to go lol. i thought about actually doing some sprints right then, because it would make me really tired. but decided not to, in case i woke someone up. weird how last night the radio kept played this upbeat fast music. in the morning when i need fast music, they're playing slooow music.