General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #1  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

Default Issues with Jillian michaels master your metabolism

Im currently listening to the audiobook and I'm a finding it kind of doomsday like. She has brought up some good points about additives in food and all. But I feel like everything is bad. She even goes into how ingredients in shampoo and make up can make you fat. I think that's a bit much.

Shes also against sythenic hormones( which she is totally entitled to not use) like bcp and she says she controls her pcos and endometris through diet and exercise. That's nice she keeps her hormone problems under control but for some of us diet and excercise isn't enough and need a hormone medication assistance.

I understand organic is better but not all of us can afford organic meat and veggies.

Am I the only who thinks her approach is a little extreme?

Last edited by helwa588; 02-10-2011 at 06:28 PM.
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #2  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

I find most extreme approaches too extreme for my tastes, too.

Organic foods can have their own problems, and they are no more nutritious than conventionally raised foods (there may be other good reasons to support organic farming, but nutrition is not one of them). As for "natural" cosmetics, that term is quite literally meaningless--the FDA doesn't even bother to define the term, so it can go on any pretty much any bottle of chemical sludge manufacturers choose.

"Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof." I find it extraordinary that anyone would believe that shampoo and other topically-applied cosmetics could add weight. If these substances penetrated skin, they'd be classed as drugs, not cosmetic products. It's vastly more likely that the Dove bar I ate, not the Dove bar I washed with, made me fat.

I agree that there's a fine line between someone saying, "I control health issue X with food and exercise alone" and saying, "Everyone should control health issue X with food and exercise alone." It's something to aim for and good for those who can manage it--but I hope that doesn't slide into casting aspersions on people who still need the boost of medication to correct a medical concern. (They would have to pry my levothyroxine from my cold, dead hands.)

When it all comes down to it, people in the public eye often go extreme in their statements because they A) don't live in a world in which choosing betweeen a food bill and a doctor's visit is a real concern, B) spend less than a fraction of a percent of their income on food at all and don't recognize that most of us will opt for the six-dollar chicken over the twelve-dollar chicken, and C) have a product to sell.

You can't sell well if you aren't L-o-o-o-u-u-u-d!! so celebrities tend to quack a lot.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola Celeste View Post
I find most extreme approaches too extreme for my tastes, too.

Organic foods can have their own problems, and they are no more nutritious than conventionally raised foods (there may be other good reasons to support organic farming, but nutrition is not one of them). As for "natural" cosmetics, that term is quite literally meaningless--the FDA doesn't even bother to define the term, so it can go on any pretty much any bottle of chemical sludge manufacturers choose.

"Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof." I find it extraordinary that anyone would believe that shampoo and other topically-applied cosmetics could add weight. If these substances penetrated skin, they'd be classed as drugs, not cosmetic products. It's vastly more likely that the Dove bar I ate, not the Dove bar I washed with, made me fat.

I agree that there's a fine line between someone saying, "I control health issue X with food and exercise alone" and saying, "Everyone should control health issue X with food and exercise alone." It's something to aim for and good for those who can manage it--but I hope that doesn't slide into casting aspersions on people who still need the boost of medication to correct a medical concern. (They would have to pry my levothyroxine from my cold, dead hands.)

When it all comes down to it, people in the public eye often go extreme in their statements because they A) don't live in a world in which choosing betweeen a food bill and a doctor's visit is a real concern, B) spend less than a fraction of a percent of their income on food at all and don't recognize that most of us will opt for the six-dollar chicken over the twelve-dollar chicken, and C) have a product to sell.

You can't sell well if you aren't L-o-o-o-u-u-u-d!! so celebrities tend to quack a lot.
Agreed.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #4  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by helwa588 View Post
She even goes into how ingredients in shampoo and make up can make you fat. I think that's a bit much.
Oh holy cow

That sounds like the type of quackery made famous by K Trudeau in his weight loss conspiracy book. He made those same claims.

I've not read the book in question, haven't even browsed it. But I'm very disappointed if this is the type of advice it contains.

The K Trudeau book included just enough proven facts to make you think that everything else must be true as well - even if it was proven hogwash. So your comment about some of the advice in this book being good but questioning the rest makes me wonder if perhaps the book should go back on the shelf?

Eat less, move more. :
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #5  

I'm really glad you had the courage to bring this up, considering everyone these days is a Jillian fan. I am not. I was reading the book full, by Dr. Snyder, the one who invented those "full bars." He gave the inside scoop on the Biggest Loser; how the trainers dehydrate contestants terribly and get the contestants to do other (in my mind unethical/dishonest, whatever you want to call it) things to have extremely rapid, UNHEALTHY weight loss. All in the name of show ratings. Dr. Snyder said many gain their weight back, once they collect their money, and it's over and done. I cannot support any "expert" who condones and participates in that.

Besides, the only credential she has is that of a certified fitness trainer, which I understand is not rocket science. She's not a doctor, nutritionist or registered dietician. She pushes her own brand of "herbal diet pills." The Times called her a quack and she threatened to sue them back in 2010. They retracted their statement and said she does have a fitness certification. Woopee.

I would no more take advice from her about eating and health than I would from a stranger on the street.

Shame on everyone for elevating her into a guru.
sweetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #6  
We'll go with that!

S/C/G: 262/230/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetea View Post

Besides, the only credential she has is that of a certified fitness trainer, which I understand is not rocket science.

Nope, it's not. One of my co-workers just got certified as an aerobics instructor. She's not the sharpest tool in the shed. (Nor is she the thinnest. I was always confused.... she's got maybe 30lbs extra on her... as wrong as it is... I'm pretty sure that if you walk into a gym looking for a job as an aerobics instructor, and you are 30 lbs overweight- I'm pretty sure you aren't going to get the job.... not that that is exactly PC, but... I dunno.. ANYWAYS)

I've never really been a fan of Jillian's.. Don't love her, don't hate her.. she's just not on my radar. Guess I wasn't missing out on much

LR
LightRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:24 AM   #7  
Le geek, c'est chic

I am sooo not a fan of Jillian Michaels. To me, she's the archetype of every "mean girl" I ever encountered in life all rolled together and dipped in a greasy layer of holier-than-thou smugness. It baffles me why a woman who clearly dislikes overweight people has a job in which she deals with large folks regularly. Sweetea, you're far from the only one who doesn't see her "guru-ness."

Personal issues with her aside, though, I would declare anyone who made such claims under-educated, even if it were Stephen Hawking himself proclaiming that shampoo made you fat. I'm actually a bit shocked to hear that anyone makes such claims and gets taken seriously. I don't think shampoo could make you fat even if you drank it.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:45 AM   #8  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

"Jillian the trainer" is a product too. She's got an image to sell and the products to sell with that image. She's good at her job, so good for her. I'm not sure she wrote the book or someone ghost wrote and slapped her on the cover to sell it. It too is a product.

But regardless of the products out there, it's up to us to be good shoppers/consumers. We all do the best we can with the budgets we've got whether it is workout dvds or groceries or books or whatever it is.

But yeah... I'm not into her approach/products. I can see where some people like that sort of presentation but I'm a night workout person. I need to watch DVDs that are more low key in presentation/tone.

I've screened Jillian stuff and I thought "Whoa. Too advanced right now, and that's would be when I'm ready for DAY workouts too boot. Too aggressive for night workout."

Which is why I like Ellen Barett or similar instead. Or Kelly Coffey. Ellen is cheery but not too cheerleadery, and Kelly is low key matter-of-fact, get through the workout type.

Even if you don't end up buying through collage, it's worth spending time viewing the clips.

http://www.collagevideo.com/

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-14-2011 at 12:51 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:28 AM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I am torn on Jillian Michaels. In the beginning, I liked her. I understand the toughness is too much for people, but she used to have really sound advice. I used to listen to podcasts of her radio show on KFI and it was good stuff. Eat clean, watch your calories in vs. out, and move your body and lift things. With solid advice on how to DO that.

Then...she turned. She got more "This is the only way", she got more obsessed with the whole "remove everything remotely chemical from your life" while simultaneously pitching protein powders and fat burner supplements, and she started putting out workout videos that had poor form because they weren't her expertise (her yoga and kettlebell videos both had some SERIOUS PROBLEMS...as if she'd said to herself, "Hey, Yoga/Kettlebells are really in right now! I'll just throw together a video and make me some $$$" and didn't really pay attention to silly things like form. The yoga one was just moderately annoying, but the form on her Kettlebell video was bordering on reckless and dangerous).

I was a fan originally, because she did have really good advice on lifting and other topics back in the day (heck, she even posted HERE for a time, with all sound, sane advice). But now I think she's extended her brand WAY too far, and is starting to contradict herself and support some questionable ideas for moneymaking purposes.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I've read and I believe I remember her saying on her old radio show she does take thyroid medication... so I'm not sure she is 100% against hormones.

I try to follow the ideas in the book best I can (not just from her, but I've also read elsewhere the chemicals in products are bad for us).. definitely living greener and organic costs more. It bugs me a bit she (and Bob) does those commercials on the biggest loser for the cereal and other products that really aren't healthy but then their books say they follow a different approach and not to eat things like that
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #11  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

Here's my take on the "chemicals in shampoo make you fat" claim....I read that as showing how prevalent in our daily lives a lot of these hormones/hormone-altering chemicals are and what they can do to you. It was meant to be an eye-opener rather than a scare tactic. If we're constantly surrounding ourselves and feeding ourselves chemicals that screw with the natural functioning of our bodies and hormone production, we're going to end up in a horribly unhealthy place.

(And yes, I have actually read the whole book.)

While I'm not a fan of the supplement/pill pitching, I will say that once I looked into the ingredients I found that they are herbal-based supplements rather than more "chemicals". Now, are they safe herbs is another debate...

I guess I'm just sick of reading thread after thread after thread bashing Jillian Michaels. I think she has done a lot of good, and is continuing to try and do a lot of good. Sure, she is using her brand to make herself wealthy, but I'm not going to vilify her for that. She may have given contestants on TBL advice on how to dehydrate or cheat the system to get further in the game, but they also had to be willing participants in that.

If you're not into her approach or her products, don't use 'em.
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #12  

Except "natural" (or "herbal") does not in any way mean healthy.

I mean, nightshade's natural. Hemlock's natural. Both are plants! They're also both poisonous.

Last edited by MariaMaria; 02-14-2011 at 08:22 PM.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:11 PM   #13  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
Except "natural" (or "herbal") does not in any way mean healthy.

I mean, nightshade's natural. Hemlock's natural. Both are plants! They're also both poisonous.
Absolutely! But she's not putting either of those in her supplements...
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:29 PM   #14  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

No, but one did contain bitter orange, which Consumer Reports listed as one of the "dirty dozen" supplement ingredients to avoid, and which CR called especially dangerous to combine with caffeine, which the same supplement also contains.

http://www.consumerreports.org/healt...ects/index.htm
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:41 AM   #15  
Le geek, c'est chic

Yikes...just read that report on bitter orange. I'd heard it was potentially problematic, but I didn't realize it was basically the ephedra thing all over again.

I remember when ephedra and ephedrine-containing products were yanked off the shelves a few years ago after people taking them started developing major health problems. That's my biggest concern with herbal medicines and supplements: it seems as though they're a means to circumvent the FDA. "Don't mind us, we're just little ol' herbs, we couldn't possibly be dangerous!"

That just the trouble, though. If an herbal medication or "supplement" (the word companies use to avoid FDA scrutiny) is strong enough to have an effect, chances are it's strong enough to have side effects--yet unlike prescription medications, herbs are not quality-checked to ensure that dosages are precise. (The other possibility is that something's as harmless as celery--but when that's the case, it's also about as effective as celery, too.)

Holy schnikies, are some of the other "supplements" on that list actually used as medicines? Aconite and yohimbine might as well be hemlock (not that those are in JM's supplements--I'm just shocked they're in ANY supplement).

To get back to Jillian Michaels: I agree that she's just the name and face on the box and probably doesn't actually know much about the product she's selling, but when that happens, it might be time to step back. I don't begrudge her getting wealthy off of building a weight-loss empire, but she's diluting her brand in a dangerous way if she's putting her face on bottles of possible poison.