Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #1  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Default Confused? Fitting into clothes but scale not going down?

Ok... so... I only just started my weight loss a couple weeks ago. So far, I weigh daily. I don't take every day as a "OMG!!! I GAINED TWO POUNDS OVERNIGHT!!!", more as just a watching my progress as the days go on type of deal. However... after the first week, I got down to 217.5... which was surprising. It was only three days after I actually started stuff. Of course, I went back up, I had salty foods that day, and worked out... I just assumed water weight.

Well... since then I've bounced between 220 and 218. (I thought it was because I haven't excercised for a week... sucks being sick)

BUT... today I was getting dressed up a bit nicer for my Dad's birthday lunch, and decided to to try on a skirt I had tried wearing three weeks ago. It fit quite nicely! Three weeks ago it clung to my stomach curves like crazy and looked horrendous. Today, it still sorta clung to my stomach... but most definitely not as badly. Also, two days ago I wore a t-shirt that I could only just get on me two weeks ago, and while it was still kind of snug, it was nowhere near as snug as it was before.

So... any thoughts? I'm so so glad my clothes are fitting... but I'm confused. Maybe it's my stupid floor messing up the scale... but why are the scale numbers not matching the way my clothes are fitting now? Any thoughts?

(btw... I'm going to start measuring my arms, waist, hips, thighs, and bust tomorrow morning... to have something other than a stupid annoying scale with a messed up floor to rely on)

ETA: I just want to make it clear that I sorta am going down on the scale... I'm more on the edge of 218 then 220 (it's been closer to that for three days now)... but it just doesn't seem to match how my clothes are fitting.

Last edited by Serbrider; 02-12-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/ticker/137

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbrider View Post
(btw... I'm going to start measuring my arms, waist, hips, thighs, and bust tomorrow morning... to have something other than a stupid annoying scale with a messed up floor to rely on)
This is definitely a good place to start. Sometime the scale shrinkage does not keep pace with the body shrinkage.

What kind of workouts are you doing? If weight-lifting is involved, even small weights, then you'll probably see/feel the difference before you see it on the scale.
Silverdrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/ticker/137

Height: 5'4.5"

By the way, congratulations on your shrinkage. It's a wonderful feeling for clothes to fit better, especially in a matter of weeks.
Silverdrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #4  

I'm trying to work out nearly daily (I really do love it... just not when I'm coughing and can barely breath as is like this past week... ), like... medium to high intensity for an hour each time. Not weights... yet (still need to be shown how to use it by the YMCA personal trainer, and to have all of my special link member stuff set up). But stuff like running, zumba, and stationary bike.

ETA: Thanks. I am happy... not really complaining... just confused.

Last edited by Serbrider; 02-12-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

Muscle takes up less space than fat.
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #6  

So I've already built up muscle after only two weeks of dieting and one week of exercise?

On a side note, I'm wearing a vest (buttoned at one button) that two weeks ago I couldn't even button.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I am sure it is an effect of the exercise. It all works together. You will see results on the scale soon! Congrats... you are off to a good start! You are an example of why it is so important to pay attention to how clothes are fitting and measurements... not just the scale!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

You bet! Water weight shifts in your body probably not alot of muscle yet but alittle. It makes a difference!

Last edited by luciddepths; 02-13-2011 at 11:24 AM.
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #9  
Kim

S/C/G: 210/150

Height: 5'5

I'm in the same boat. After losing 8lbs over the course of three weeks, today I am up 2lbs. I didn't really do anything different than the last three weeks.... stayed within my WW points, exercised 4 days (treadmill and bowflex). I would agree that muscle does weigh more than fat and I would believe that this could be an issue if I was closer to goal... but I have 50 pounds to lose. My fat has to weigh way more than my muscles!! I just have to believe that the body fluxuates and I need to keep doing what I am doing to maintain a healthy life and body. You too! Keep up the good work. It'll all happen for us!!
Belly Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #10  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Sometimes you do start losing but exercise helps keep water retention in the muscles so you may not see it on the scale but see it in your clothes fittng better.
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #11  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine31 View Post
Sometimes you do start losing but exercise helps keep water retention in the muscles so you may not see it on the scale but see it in your clothes fittng better.

This. Last summer, I went several weeks without dropping a pound. I was frustrated. I was annoyed. I was doing everything right. The scale...would...not...budge. I grabbed a pair of jeans of the next size to see how much further I had to go. They fit. They hadn't fit a month earlier. I'd only lost a couple of pounds.

Our bodies do some amazing things. When you're not seeing a loss on the scales, there's often something going on with redistribution, shrinking, etc...and we may not notice it.

I've learned that just because the scale isn't moving, it doesn't mean that I'm doing anything wrong. Measuring poundage is the EASIEST way to see progress. It's not the only way.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:52 PM   #12  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

I've noticed over the last 95 pounds that sometimes the scale goes down but the smaller clothes I have waiting to try on don't fit any better, while other times the scale doesn't do much of anything but the clothes *do* start fitting. Some of it is fat to muscle ratios, some of it is water retention funniness (which as we all know really isn't all that funny) and some of it appears to just be mysterious magic. At this point I've given up trying to suss out the whys and wherefores - I just try to keep focusing on making healthy choices around the types and quantities of the food i eat and trust it will all work itself out eventually....
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #13  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

You haven't gained muscle in a week of exercise (specially if it's all cardio) BUT our bodies shift things around when we start losing weight. ALSO one thing is you may have been bloated before and not noticed it- if you are drinking a lot more water and eating healthier I'm 100% sure the amount of sodium you are consuming has gone down considerably and that can contribute to losing all that bloating. Specially if you notice your stomach has gone down a lot.

Whatever happens do NOT give up- it's not JUST about the numbers on the scale but about how your clothes are fitting as well

I have only lost 40 lbs BUT I've gone down from a TIGHT 18 to a very comfortable size 14 and I wouldn't doubt if I lost ten more lbs I'd be in a size 12.

Just be patient- and don't let your body or scale make you think you aren't doing well- underneath the surface what you are doing for your body is doing so much more than you realize
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote