Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Hyperventilating

I've lost nearly 70 pounds. I'm so proud of that fact, and have had to buy numerous new clothes over the winter. Today I finally decided to go through my closet and get rid of everything that's too big (with the exception of one pair of jeans from my heaviest, just because).

I have what feels like *nothing* left in my closet. Five or six contractor bags worth of stuff to donate, one to throw away, and one full of stuff to pass on to my mom. I have NOTHING to wear when it warms up. No capris, no shorts, no t-shirts, heck, not even any long sleeved t's. Not even any pj's to wear this spring/summer! I have jeans, pants, and sweaters, and some fleece/flannel pj pants and some pj shirts that are all starting to get too big on me too.

Seeing my closet so empty (doesn't help that it's so big) and ALL THOSE CLOTHES on the floor is making me feel panicky. My DH doesn't get it. I just feel like if I get rid of those clothes, poof! I'll instantly gain back 70 pounds. Stupid, I know, but...

Anyone been there? Please talk me down. I think it's great that all those clothes are too big, but I feel like I can't breathe!
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Totally been there. I took my donation last month. I didn't tell my husband at the time but I knew I had to do it. If I kept the clothes it would make it too easy to gain weight back. I know by getting rid of all those clothes I will ever allow myself to get that big again... just b/c I could never rebuy all those clothes I donted.

Just this past week my husband went into my closet and was SHOCKED. "Why is your closet so empty?" When I told him - he totally understood. I got rid of sizes 28, 26, 24, 22, and 20. I am still in size 18. I still have size 16 hanging in my closet. Its been about 12 years since I've worn that size and half of it are dress suits that I wore when I worked... but when I get there I'll try them on at least!

It is totally the right thing to do to get rid of those clothes. It will help you not go back to where we have worked so hard to leave. Congratulations! I've lost 70, too.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #3  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

I donated 3 bags to Goodwill this fall. I took a suitcase full of clothing home to my family over Christmas. I have another bag for Goodwill. I have several pieces with tags that I'm going to put on Craigslist at some point.

I have several things that *should* go. I have several others that will be too big soon. I also just found a box of clothing that should fit me perfectly this summer.

Getting rid of them is hard, but you'll be glad you did.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #4  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

I've gotten rid of a lot, too. I still had tons of old pre-kids clothes in boxes in my closet, but I still don't have a lot that I can wear comfortable. I tried on an old bathing suit yesterday and was shocked that it fits. . .but DAMN is it low cut . And my boobs are not as perky as they were before three pregnancies, so it just does NOT look good anymore. So I need to get a new suit for this summer. I also don't really have any shorts. I have a couple of pairs of size 10's, but I'm in a 14 now and I live in Baja California - it's warm enough that I could comfortably wear shorts right now. I hope that I fit those shorts before it gets really how, because I don't really want to spend money on these in between sizes if I can help it. We just got our tax return, so I'm going to get a few things to tide me over.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #5  
Danielle

S/C/G: 293/see ticker/193

Height: 5'8

I cant wait till I can get to that point! But then again, i already dont have a lot of clothes lol.
MzJuicyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #6  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

I know how that feels. It feels sort of like you're jinxing yourself by getting rid of everything. But trust me, getting rid of that stuff sort of finalizes that deal, and for me, it made me more accountable. Getting rid of that clothes was sort of like saying goodbye to my old self. "It was nice knowing you, but I'll never see you again." I never gained any of that weight back, and I don't miss the clothes!

By the way, I love your username haha.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Oh yeah, I did that a month or two ago, and it was really hard! I kept some 14's...but I think I'm going to get rid of those too. I need absolutely everything, the only thing I have enough of is underwear, lol. I am so afraid to go out and spend the money though! I have bought a few pairs of jeans in size 8 & 10, but as I lose more they're starting to get loose now too. I mostly wear DH's t-shirts - which at least are smaller than the tops I used to wear, but are still ridiculously big on me (thank goodness I work mostly from home). Anyhow, it's a scary process, but we'll get through it!

Last edited by sept15lija; 02-14-2011 at 12:03 PM.
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #8  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Girl two weeks ago I just cleaned out my closet and got rid of anything that was a large and size 16 and 18. My closet is now full of Medium's and size 14 and 12 pants My husband also commented I have a ton of space now

Don't freak out- IMO it's more motivation to NOT go back!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #9  

I've done major wardrobe overhauls a couple of times. Once, when I quit working, I got rid of work clothes and kept only soft, comfortable clothes. Then when I lost 75 pounds, I got rid of anything too big. I kept my largest pants, but that is it.

I do have some old clothes that I don't fit yet, but they are for reference, I doubt I will actually wear them again. One thing is for sure, I refuse to keep clothing that doesn't fit no matter what size I am. It took awhile to get use to that idea! I felt panic too and wasteful! But in the end, why have clothing in the closet or packed in boxes when they don't fit? Seasonal clothes, yes, but from now on, anything too small or too big gets released!
martinimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I donated 20 bags of clothes after losing 80 lbs or so. It was insane. I had also sold some on ebay. Seeing my basement full of bags did make me feel panicky but it gets better.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 160/157/120

Height: 5'1"

I can't wait to get to this point, that I can get rid of my big clothes. Half of my closet, though, is filled with old clothes from when I was still thin, and I am actually looking forward to being able to wear them again. I can't bear to throw them away, for some reason.
marianne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 205/160s/128

Height: 5'0"

I have recently listed 4 items on trademe, New Zealand's version of eBay. I've listed these 4 items twice now and they haven't sold. I may be asking too much for them...but I'm reluctant to put the prices lower. These are awesome things I only wore a couple of times and I could really do with the extra money.
The rest of my stuff I'd love to donate, but every time I fill a box, before I get a chance to take it anywhere, my mum always goes through it again and suggests I keep some stuff...urgh. I know, I just need to go do it before she can say anything about it...but for some reason I can't bring myself to do it!
rainbowstripe is offline   Reply With Quote