Old 02-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 241/241/205

Height: 6'3"

Default New here, lifestyle change starts Monday

Here is what I posted in the "regular" introductions forum.

First things first, I'm a man. Can I even be on here? I'm happily married with 2 children, so please don't think I'm on here trying to meet women. I was googling weight loss, found this site, thought it was a cool name, read some posts, like the tools, need to lose weight(have in the past, but found a bunch again), and found the logging / support / idea sharing, etc. interesting and potentially very helpful. If I can't be on here, so be it, I'm sure there are some other sites like this. Someone please let me know. Hoping to stay, if I can, here are my numbers:
6'3"
Current Weight - 241
Goal Weight - 205
Target Date for Goal Weight - May 2nd
Planned approach - minimum 30 minutes of exercise per day, eating sensibly(lots of fruit and veggies, lean protein, minimal sugar, white flour, etc.). Would love to post what I am eating daily along with weight loss progression.

Thanks
gksmith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/208/220?

Height: 6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gksmith16 View Post
Here is what I posted in the "regular" introductions forum.

First things first, I'm a man. Can I even be on here? I'm happily married with 2 children, so please don't think I'm on here trying to meet women.
Welcome and youve come to the right place, the people here are great and very supportive, Or willing to call you out, no matter what your method.... good luck..

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 02-13-2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Fix HTML
jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #3  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Yep, you're most welcome here. Some of the men on 3FC post here in the men's forum, other's (including myself) also post around and about in other threads. Feel free to look around and find where you're comfortable.

Sounds like you're starting out with an eating plan and an exercise plan both; my take is that that's exactly the formula that's needed to get into a life style that you can live with for the long term.

Feel free to post your daily stats right here in this thread; folks can find you here.

Wishing you Bon Voyage on your journey.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gksmith16 View Post
6'3"
Current Weight - 241
Goal Weight - 205
Target Date for Goal Weight - May 2nd
Planned approach - minimum 30 minutes of exercise per day, eating sensibly(lots of fruit and veggies, lean protein, minimal sugar, white flour, etc.). Would love to post what I am eating daily along with weight loss progression.
Welcome to the forum.

You have 11 weeks to lose 36 lbs. Certainly possible but you're going to need a daily deficit of 1500 calories. Your BMR is about 2300 calories at that size and depending on how active you are you probably need 2900-3200 calories a day to maintain your weight. This means you'll need to only be eating 1500 calories a day to hit your goal.

My opinion (not that you asked) is that you should not be in such a hurry to hit your goal. There is nothing inheritly unhealthy about losing weight fast but with such a deficit you're going to lose plenty of muscle and be ripe for a rebound.

Goodluck!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250 / 210 / 210

Height: 6' 4"

Yeah I'm not wild about setting goal dates for myself anymore. I just want to accomplish the loss. Denying myself an anticipated deadline, prevents that feeling of "Oh I'll never make it now so why bother" shrugoff... Plus I'm trying to lose more weight on this diet, than I've ever attempted in the past. It doesn't help my motivation to project into the future, and think it'll take months. Grrrrr

Focusing week by week, and grinding away a pound at a time, is working for me so far.
darway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:30 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/220/185

Height: 6 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Welcome to the forum.

You have 11 weeks to lose 36 lbs. Certainly possible but you're going to need a daily deficit of 1500 calories. Your BMR is about 2300 calories at that size and depending on how active you are you probably need 2900-3200 calories a day to maintain your weight. This means you'll need to only be eating 1500 calories a day to hit your goal.

My opinion (not that you asked) is that you should not be in such a hurry to hit your goal. There is nothing inheritly unhealthy about losing weight fast but with such a deficit you're going to lose plenty of muscle and be ripe for a rebound.

Goodluck!
Sorry to intrude but just wanted to understand the calculations behind that number of 1500 calories. Can you please elaborate!
goldbergvariations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:03 AM   #7  
One man would not fall...

S/C/G: 400/223/190

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbergvariations View Post
Sorry to intrude but just wanted to understand the calculations behind that number of 1500 calories. Can you please elaborate!
An average pound is equivalent to 3500 calories, so 36 pounds would be 126000 calories, over the course or 11 weeks he is looking at needing a ~1600 calorie a day deficit if everything falls in place.
Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #8  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute View Post
An average pound is equivalent to 3500 calories, so 36 pounds would be 126000 calories, over the course or 11 weeks he is looking at needing a ~1600 calorie a day deficit if everything falls in place.
Correct. One the main things I learned about losing weight (fat) is that no matter what anyone says it's all about calories. Not that you have to count calories (although I think everyone should at least for a while) but that the simple fact is if you want to lose weight you must eat less calories than your body needs.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote