Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 09:18 PM   #1  

Thumbs up failed and need help

Hi all. I am new here and need some help. While I lost weight on Atkins (22 pounds), I was recently told by my doctor to get OFF Atkins due to the fact that my cholestorol is thru the roof (310). So, now I am at a loss as to what to do. I did Atkins bcause I could buy the book and follow it. I don't have a lot of money or time to spend on meetings and such. I know people that have been successful in WW and would love to do that but even online, it is expensive! I was hoping that either people could share some good ideas on how to continue to lose weight or how to balance the Atkins thing while trying to lower my cholestorol OR if someone has some kind of discount code so I can join WW online, share it with me so I can join....
Thanks so much! I really want to shed these pounds!!!
Thanks again!
Amy
Old 04-20-2003, 10:29 PM   #2  

Hi Amy,

First off I would like to tell you Welcome, this place is the best for support, advice and encouragemant. And I am with you, I can't afford right now to go to meetings every week, or buy the expensive food that goes with some programs. I can't tell you what's best for you,or speak for anyone else, but what works for me is just pretty much watching what is going in my mouth. I look for low fat or fat free foods, and I have been stuffing more fruits down my throat. Plus I try to make sure I get in at least 64 oz of water a day (it gets better as you go). I also cut my portions in half (half of what I used to eat) and write everything down, you would be surprised at what you will not eat if you have to write it down. I try and walk every day, and I will be starting up some exercise classes soon at the rec center. Plus I try to log in here at least once a day. The people here are wonderful. I hope you find a thread that you really enjoy being a part of, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I wish you the best of luck.....Take Care!!!

*Jen*
Old 04-20-2003, 11:22 PM   #3  
Dancing those pounds away

Hi Amy... Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.
There are soooo many people here in 3FC that will give you tons of support.
I think Jen gave you some EXCELLENT suggestions.
I totally understand about some of the weight loss programs costing too much. I know that TOPS is MUCh less expensive... and OA is free.

I know a LOT of people on Low carb and they are doing excellent. Some people do have their cholestrol rise in the beginning but it went back down after a couple of months and then went even to their LOWEST levels ever. My main concern is if YOU believe in Low carb or not. You need to pick a plan you are comfortable with. That fits YOU.... not anyone else.

Just as there are some people allergic to nuts or milk or even pollen, or ragweed.... there are some people whos bodies do not adjust "normally" to carbs. This is not everyone. The secret to a weight loss plan is if it fits YOUR body ... and then your commitment and determination to follow what your body needs or does not need.

Just mainly... hang in there. Read lots of posts and find a group you feel comfortable in ... and then just jump right in there with them. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:48 AM   #4  

Hi Amy, I can't afford any weight loss programs right now either. I would like to check out TOS but the only meeting available to me is Friday mid morning and I work the audit (third shift) the night before. I'm trying to figure out how to accomplish that, because I could definately use some extra meeting support. I hear their meetings are great, so you should check them out for a meeting in your area!

2cute2Bfat, Am curious, what is OA?

I've only been @ this site for two days, and I love it. Everyone is welcoming and supportive. Amy I would love to buddy up with you if you would like some email support. Let me know.

Have a great day!

Hugs,
Hollie
Old 04-21-2003, 06:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 249/215/165

Height: 5/5

Hi all!
Amy, Everyone has given you some great advice so far. Water, exercise, and watching what you are very important. I have cut out the soda, and junk from my diet. Every now and again I do get cravings and I will induldge but it is a very small amount. As far as WW. Go to a good search engine and type in free weight watchers point guide and from that you can get lots of information about the points of many foods as well as the point allowed for your weight. Do you know anyone that is on WW? If so ask them to make a copy of their points selector and make yourself a homemade one. It's easy to do any so much cheaper. I couldn't afford to do WW as well but thru searching and asking I have rounded up all the tools that I need to do so. The only money that I was out was what little gas it took me to drive to get up with a friend and get the copies of everything, Already had the stuff to use to make a homemade finder. Or there is always ebay. You can pick up finders and other items there very cheap. 2cute was right you have to find what is best for you. That is why I would not invest in something that I was unsure of. I am not sure hjow much succes that I will have using WW points but I am goin to give it a try. Experiment with different things and soon you will find your groove. Everyone here is very helpful, friendly and so supportive. Good luck and remember that we are all here for you.
Hollie OA is overeater anoyn.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:49 PM   #6  
Dancing those pounds away

Hollie... OA is Overeaters Anonymous.
It is the same program as Alcoholics Anonymous.
Based on 12 steps and 12 traditons.
There are meeetings everywhere.
But.. just as with these boards... you will find some GREAT meetings and some that are not so good.

They are in the phone book in the white pages here.
They are free... they only accept donations which help cover expenses such as rent for the room , literature, etc.

It is based on a "spiritual" principle NOT a relgious one.
They also have books in many libraries too.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:42 PM   #7  

Hi Amy,

Since I am on a limited budget, I can't really spend money on Weight Watchers either, though it is an excellent program. And the other 'diet clinics' are also ridiculously priced, with some having a high failure rate. So much for my editorial.

Personally, I am singing the praise of the plan sheet from the American Diabetes Association that I got at the doctor's office at my last visit. The good thing is, you don't have to be diabetic to follow it; I prefer to call it my 'common sense plan.' Since leaning toward borderline diabetes, I decided to try this, with some good results. You will not only lose weight (not quickly, but we didn't pile on those pounds overnight, did we?), you will see a vast improvement in your cholesterol levels (mine is currently 168), and in my case, blood sugars closer to a normal profile.

You can check out the general nutritional guidelines here:

American Diabetes Association-Nutrition
Old 04-21-2003, 05:05 PM   #8  

Amy,

If you go to the US Patent office web site and search for Patent number 6,040,531, then dig through the text and image pages you will find the formula:
P = (C/50) + (F/12) - (R/5)
P=points, C=calories, F=fat grams, R=fiber grams (cap the fiber at no more than 4 grams)

It's easy to estimate point values in your head by reading the nutrition labels on any food product. Divide the number of calories by 50 (round to nearest 1/2 point), add 1/2 point for 6 fat grams and deduct 1/2 point for 3 fiber grams. The result is the number of points (round to the next number if .5 or greater). Keep within your alloted range of points per day and you are On-Program... you will lose weight.

Partial list of Point Ranges:
Body weight, point range
Under 150 lbs, 18-23
150-174, 20-25
175-199, 22-27
200-224, 24-29
225-249, 26-31
250-274, 28-33
275-299, 29-34

That's the WW program in a nutshell. Hope this helps you in your quest.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:21 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 249/215/165

Height: 5/5

Amy, thanks for the formula. I have noticed that after using the finder after a few days I can pretty much guess at it in my head and only miss it by 1 point. Will try that next time.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:16 PM   #10  

Amy - I am doing the low carb thing too but I talked to my Dr. about it and she seems to think I won't cause a cholesterol problem as long as I watch what types of fats I consume. Many aren't high in cholesterol so I just avoid the ones that are. for example, I still use the eggbeater type eggs. Shrimp and shellfish, even tho they are high in cholesterol are high in the good cholesterol. May studies have shown that after a period of time, low carb will actualy cause your triglycerides and bad cholesterol to drop significantly. How long have you been low carbing? What was your cholesterol before you started? This may have been a problem before your diet and you weren't aware of it!
Old 04-22-2003, 01:03 PM   #11  

Thanks for the info on OA -- and the points thingy too.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:48 PM   #12  
Hot Stuff

Hi Amy,

A great site to look into is http://www.fitday.com . It's free, and you can log your food intake, exercise, goals, etc....might be a good way for you to keep track of your carbs. I use it and like it, just wanted to share if you haven't already heard of it.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:18 PM   #13  

Thank you so much to everyone for your help. I am going to kick this weight!! I am so glad to have found this board for the support and well wishes!!

Amy

Current Weight: 235
1st Goal: 220
Ultimate Goal: 150
Closed Thread