Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #1  
Hungry Hungry Dancer

S/C/G: tickertickerticker

Height: 5'4"

Default clothes as motivation

one thing that is really motivating me right now is thinking about all the different types of cute clothes..the kind I've always wanted to wear..but have never been able to before

i know a lot of people think it is a bad idea to buy clothes that are a smaller size, but i >really< think it would motivate me......i would get it, then pack it away like a gift to be opened up at a later time....i'm not worried about not actually losing the weight..i know i will lose the weight...and I don't intend on buying the clothes at the smallest size I think I will get to..just some where in the middle....probably 2 or 3 sizes smaller than my current size at the time of ordering depending on the sizing info

is this still a bad idea ? i mean....everyone is different, right? what's not good for one person, can be great for another.......i have never in my life been able to get clothes that i truly love....the times that i have been at a lower weight, i was still very self-conscious and hadn't developed much of a style....i am much less self-conscious now and i am confident this time my efforts will stick..it is just a matter of time

my plan was just to at certain points where i reach mini goals to buy one article to go with a sort of "ultimate outfit" for me to wear once i reach my final goal......i think they even do this on the biggest loser, don't they ?

Last edited by blueballerina; 02-08-2011 at 07:04 PM.
blueballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

a lot of people on here buy smaller clothes as motivation. i don't personally because i'm not sure how my body will be shaped as i drop and i like to buy stuff that fits me a certain way but tons of people do it. i don't see why it would be a bad idea. if it will motivate you go for it!
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I don't agree with it as they may not look as good as you think they will. As the poster above stated , you just don't know what your figure will look like even though smaller. And it is a lot of fun to go to the store and try new things on and know how they will look.

Last edited by bargoo; 02-08-2011 at 07:37 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

I did it all the time. I fully support the idea! :-))

I didn't wrap them like a present, though. I'd lay them out across the couch so I could see them as I did 30 Day Shred and other exercises. It was great motivation for me.

The only thing I'd be careful of is spending a ton on these new clothes unless you are close to goal. Because, you wouldn't be in these expensive, pretty clothes for long at all.

Otherwise, GO FOR IT! You'll love doing it.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #5  
Hungry Hungry Dancer

S/C/G: tickertickerticker

well, i personally really do not like shopping in stores....maybe eventually that will change and is probably just cause i've never simultaneously been at a healthy weight AND had money to spare..so haven't had a chance to really enjoy it

i've been at a healthy weight before in my life, and know how my body loses weight and how to dress my body shape....i think i'm going to go for it !....the only things i might splurge on price wise would be things i know i can easily get altered to a smaller size.....and i'm not going to buy the first artical of clothing until i've lost 50lbs...i will deserve a reward then !

i don't think i'll actually wrap them like gifts.....just tuck them away in the bags they came in and take them out every now and then to drool over.....laying them out while exercising is GREAT idea...thanks for the idea

Last edited by blueballerina; 02-08-2011 at 08:00 PM.
blueballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/tkr/195

Height: 5'9"

I've purchased a few things so far that are smaller and it is motivating for me... My rules: Don't go too small -- I tend to buy things that I can almost fit into, that way you get a decent feel for how it will fit and it's motivating to actually fit into them sooner. Then I buy new smaller stuff. Don't buy expensive stuff. Only buy super cute stuff I love. DON'T go overboard. I buy maybe 2-3 things that are too small. (I used to buy more and there are definitely things I wouldn't have bought if I'd known how they were going to fit!)
Jen516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #7  
on a mission

S/C/G: 83kg/68kg/65kg

Height: 5'3"

I do it too. I have just a top and a pair of jeans in a smaller size and hang it up in my room. I even have a big '65kg' sign next to it to remind me of the commitment I have to put in to reach my goal weight. I take pictures of myself every 30 days wearing (or trying to wear =p) these clothes in hopes that one day they would fit correctly and with ease. I am not very sure whether it's the best way to get motivation, but it works for me.
Esha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #8  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

I had quite a few pairs of pants for "when I lose a few pounds". Welp, they were in the closet and by the time I thought about them, they were a little big already. Cute pants too. Then there was the dress I thought was adorable and would be good "in a few pounds". Well, it looks great on the hanger. It makes me look dumpy, despite fitting.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #9  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

I would love to do that, but I can't afford to--let alone what would happen if I bought the stuff, got down to the right size, and found that the fit was unflattering!

If you can afford to buy clothes as motivation, go for it! One day when I'm not buying T-shirts at the Dollar Tree and stuff from Goodwill, I will be right there with you.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

The only thing I have bought in advance so far are jeans that I find for a good deal. I was thinking about buying some cute threadless shirts that were on sale in a size smaller but I decided against it because I don't know how much my style might change as I shrink.
Katieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 237/212.6/140

I have a pair of Addias pants in the size I would love to wear.
tanner'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #12  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Smile

I buy clothes in a smaller size at rummage sales and thrift stores. That way if they don't fit right or decide I don't like them, I take to a thrift store. I like knowing I have some cool clothes to wear when I drop the next size or so.
I think it helps motivate me. So I don't think it's a bad thing.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #13  
One decision at a time.

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I don't think it's a bad thing. I wouldn't buy large amounts or spend tons of money. I also agree with not going too small.

I bought a pair of "curvy" Levi's jeans and found out that they stopped making those particular type. I loved the ones that fit the larger me and it takes forever for me to find jeans that aren't too low in the back, fit the hips and the waist, etc etc. I went online and bought two more pair. I try on the next smaller size regularly so I don't miss my window to wear them. It's really awesome to see how close I'm getting and how far I've come.

It makes me feel great to have jeans I like when I lose weight rather than having to wear "not horrible" ones (because I have to try on 50 pairs to find the right fit). That's why I'm losing weight, right? To like the clothes I wear?
ebb&flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #14  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I have a few pieces of clothing that I have saved for "if" I lose weight "someday". At one point I was wearing them, and then got too heavy for them. I took the first of them out today. They fit. (size 18). I have a couple dresses now that I think about it in size 16!, and I know I have a pair of 14 linen pants I loved and saved, a couple skirts and a dress at 14 too. I've never been at a 12 since I was growing and the current 12s used to be 14s in the 80s!

So, no need for me to buy new motivation clothes - I have them hanging in my closet from times I was that size.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:58 PM   #15  
Hi there

S/C/G: (HW 215) 208/T/145

Height: 5' 5"

I have a pair of Silver jeans in a lower size. I found them at Goodwill for $3 (PERFECT condition, too). They hang in my closet where I can see them for motivation.

I'm much too cheap to spend much money on clothes that don't fit, though. Too much unknown.
SunnyMathChick is offline   Reply With Quote