Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 258/238/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Need a good green tea

i am a vegan, so it would have to be vegan, but that shouldn't be an issue with green tea. i heard of a bigelow that was green tea and pomegranate-i just don't want to try 50 brands. i want to hear your brands

green tea is bland and slimy to me (sorry) but i am SURE there is a yummy one out there. Please give me your fav's! and what, if anything, you add to it

-fm
foodmasochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:39 PM   #2  

I like the bulk green tea leaves from the Japanese store. They come in a clear bag. I do not have any at home now so I can not give a brand. I went with the lower end of the price scale. The tea is a startling yellow color and has a pleasant grassy taste. I brew up a big pot, strain and save the leftover in the fridge and nuke to reheat - real tea people would be aghast but it works for unsophisticated me
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:09 AM   #3  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

It's bigalow, but... Jasmine green tea. I also really enjoy their organic white tea with chysanthemum.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

Adagio.com hast some green teas that even I like. There are even a few wonderful and inexpensive samplers so you can try several without a big commitment! I think they also do a trial size that makes 10 cups for around $2.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #5  

If you have a garden, you can grow your own tea plants like I do.
It is a tea plant called Verbascum thapsus. (Giant Mullein)
The early pioneers brought it to the USA to make their own medicinal tea.
Sometimes you can see it growing wild along the country roads.

You can get seeds and see pictures on the internet.
It is a tall narrow plant and doesn't take up much room.
It has huge leaves that I dry. They dry overnight.
Then I put them into my food chopper and pulverize them.

Or you can buy the dry tea from suppliers on the internet.
It is called 'Mullein Tea'.

Once you steep the tea you MUST FILTER IT through a coffee filter.

It is not bitter like other green teas, and is a mild smooth tea that needs no sweetening.
It is also one of the most powerful anti-viral teas that we can grow.
It is strong enough to knock out cold and flu viruses if you drink 2 cups a day.

I never get colds and flu when I drink it. It keeps me healthy and gives me energy.
I don't think it has caffeine.
I like it because it soothes my stomach and kills my appetite for awhile.
And it is a real pretty and very tall plant for my garden.

...ON ANOTHER NOTE:
I am overloaded with strawberry plants and hundreds of runners. (I make and freeze strawberry juice)
I hate to throw out all the little new plants this summer. Has anyone ever tried Strawberry Leaf Tea?
I read somewhere that it is helpful in speeding up a sluggish metabolism.

I might dry a few pounds this summer and try it.

JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #6  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

i really like the mint green teas, or just throw in your own mint with green tea. the mint over powers the bitter bland taste of green tea. at least for me. lemon also works really well. or try other citrus. i read it is supposed to help absorb the good for you stuff in the tea.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #7  
Smile :)

S/C/G: 180/Ticker/Ticker

Height: 5'8"

I drink Salada All Natural 100%Green Tea.
You can find it in any grocery store, its in bag form and fairly inexpensive. Its one of the better tasting green teas I've found
I also like to sometimes add a fresh squeeze of lemon or even slice up some strawberries into my green tea
KellyMarie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Try the Itoen brand. It's my favorite store bought brand (i usually buy from a shop here called Lupicia).
jmko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:31 AM   #9  
Lone Locust of Apocalypse

S/C/G: 310/310/150

Height: 5'6"

The only bagged green tea I've had was some cheap, awful stuff from the store and green tea powder, so I'm not sure what my opinion on this is worth. Based on health benefits, I'd say go with sencha or matcha tea. Sencha has more antioxidants and matcha has more amino acids. I hated the cheap tea I got at Wal-Mart, but I like matcha a lot. Maeda En is very bitter, but I drink it with cream, vanilla, cinnamon, and sugar. (Traditionalists probably hate my guts.) I also have ZenMatcha brand tea. Ounce for ounce, it's only a little pricier than Maeda En, but it's tasty enough for me to drink alone. I hear DoMatcha is good as well. I like that you can add matcha powder to other things, like smoothies, yogurt, baked goods, frappes, and lattes. I plan to get loose leaf sencha soon since I drink so much of the matcha. I've gotten my sister into it as well.

The other tea I've gone crazy for was rooibos. It's not as beneficial as green tea, but it's very tasty and naturally sweet. I've had the one from FreshPak. I drink it with cream and vanilla or sometimes just lemon. It's probably as good or better for you as some green teas you can find in mainstream stores, since those are often low grade green teas anyway.

ETA: you probably already know this but I'll say it for those who don't--this is probably true of most types of green tea. Don't use boiling water. I was used to using very hot water for darker teas, but it will make green tea more bitter! Also, I forgot cream wouldn't work for a vegan. I've used almond milk and soy milk instead of cream, so if you ever find you want to add something like that to tea, they're fine. In fact, for people who aren't vegans but don't want the calories of heavy cream, I'd recommend those nut milks and soy milk over cow's milk. Regular milk has casein which possibly binds with the antioxidants in teas.

Last edited by Regera Dowdy; 02-20-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Regera Dowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:16 AM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I like mighty leaf jasmine green. But I've enjoyed others. Maybe try a sampler box? It's a high quality -- easily gets two steepings out of one bag.

http://www.mightyleaf.com/product/or...pring-jasmine/

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #11  
Started IP: 4/4/2014

S/C/G: 154/See Ticker/125

Height: 5'0''

Another vote for Salada Green Tea. I like to add lemon, ginger and mint. I've been drinking a lot of tea, I usually have two hot cups, then pour the rest over ice and sip throughout the day. I can't say that it has helped me to lose, but it does keep me hydrated.
Chrztina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 214/177/165lb (97/80.5/75kg)

Height: 5'7" (170cm)

Lime and ginger green tea is great, and so is green tea with a touch of mint.

Also I just bought a Liptons green tea here in Spain that's flavoured with orange blossom, and it's delicious!
rainbow84uk is offline   Reply With Quote