Old 02-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Don't Know If I Can Keep Doing This

I'm back and I don't even know what to say anymore. Honestly? I'm just SO tired of the whole weight thing that I almost don't even care anymore. Except, of course, that I do care. I care way too much actually.

I started my weight loss journey last October after getting less than stellar news from my doctor regarding my cholesterol, liver enzymes, etc. In other words, my weight was starting to take a toll on my health. I immediately made changes. Gave up soda, started eating healthier, counting calories and exercising more.

In the first month or so I dropped about 20 pounds and then? Nothing. I've been bouncing up and down, gaining and losing the same 2-3 pounds for the last 3 -4 months. I added more exercise, changed up my eating routine and nothing seems to make a difference. The only way I can seem to drop weight is to drop my calorie count below 800 - which is just not sustainable for me in the long run.

I could just cry (and have) over this. I try so hard and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I've gotten to the point where my attitude toward food is even more unhealthy than it was when I was eating "normally" before I started trying to be healthy. It's gotten to the point where I'm almost terrified to eat anything because no matter what I eat it's going to make me either maintain or gain weight. Then I end up getting frustrated and eating things I shouldn't (hello two bags of Skittles I ate earlier) - and then I feel horribly disgusting and guilty for eating and the cycle starts again.

I tried so hard for so long to be positive. To look at the ups and downs as temporary blips but I just can't do it anymore. Does this ever get easier?
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 326.2/316/160 Back 5-2013

Height: 5'7"

Yes, it does get easier! When I read you post I thought "Wow, she is doing good! She has kept off the 20 pounds she lost for a few months!" I think you need to take some credit for that. That does not come easily.
It is not always easy to be positive but weight loss is a journey. It does not happen over night and there are bumps along the way. Don't give up. It really could be worse (you could have already gained back your weight plus more). What is your plan? Do you need to try something different? Can you talk to your doctor about the trouble you are having? Are you tracking what you eating? Hang in there! Don't give up! You can do this! Hugs to you!
tw326at41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #3  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Sunshine,

I really don't think doctors have all the answers, but... I do wonder what yours has to say about what's going on with your weight loss. Did he/she diagnosis you with anything like PCOS or anything else that might be related to insulin resistance? At your weight (our weight) you shouldn't need to cut as far as 800 calories to lose weight.

Hang in there!

Last edited by Vortex_VVV; 02-07-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #4  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

All you can do is keep trying. If you don't, you'll likely undo all of the hard work you've put into this so far.

You *can* do this.

Do you mind sharing your food journal and exercise info with the group?
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Hang in there hon. You can do it. It gets so old and I know you are tired of it but when you least expect it something will click and your body will release some weight. Just keep on hanging in there and doing your best.

hugs and blessings,
Annie
dogpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 213/202/170

Height: 6'0

im so sorry your having a rough time with this, but im sure things will get better and start to improve.....just hang in there and dont give up! You CAN and you WILL loose the weight! Stay strong sweetie!
oklahomachick26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 363/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5

I tend to agree with Vortex. Have you had your thryoid checked? pcos? Talk with your doc... You are putting in the effort! You can do it!
Mrsralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:53 PM   #8  
started out 6/30/10

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine73 View Post
I've gotten to the point where my attitude toward food is even more unhealthy than it was when I was eating "normally" before I started trying to be healthy. It's gotten to the point where I'm almost terrified to eat anything because no matter what I eat it's going to make me either maintain or gain weight. Then I end up getting frustrated and eating things I shouldn't (hello two bags of Skittles I ate earlier) - and then I feel horribly disgusting and guilty for eating and the cycle starts again.
I posted pretty much the same thing yesterday. Having been through this before, I can positively say that it does get easier. But I'm in the same boat as you and would really like things to get easier sooner rather than later.
Quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:27 AM   #9  
doing it this time

S/C/G: 340/310/180

Height: 5'7

Don't give up or give in.
20 pounds lost and maintained is incredible.
I know its unbearable now but your body is 20 pounds lighter and 20 pounds healthier and your body thanks you for your healthy choices.

Here's to you're continued health
b rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #10  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Two motivators to try:

Pack a backpack with 20 lbs, equal to your loss, of books and carry that around for an hour. (Hey, weightlifting, right?) After that hour, you won't want to go back to your earlier high weight. It will be worth the effort to avoid it. (20 lbs equals 60 lbs pressure on your knees.) Then recognize that's how much better you have gotten yourself. Good work!
Stick tight to your diet for just two solid weeks -- no cheats, no slips. If you go the two weeks, I'd bet you'll see the loss. Sometimes just a little slip really messes up the works on our diet. The two weeks should set you rolling again. You can do anything for two weeks, right?
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 332/see ticker/132

Height: 5' 3.5"

I'm with the "see your doctor" crowd. If you are *honestly* only eating 1000 or so calories, there is NO WAY you would not be losing weight. That is just a hard scientific fact.

Our bodies are machines; they do not have minds of their own. They work under some pretty hard and fast rules - unless there is something wrong with you. If you are alive, and you are only taking in 1000 calories a day, you are operating at a calorie deficit of 1200 (or, more than 2 pounds a week) even if all you do is lay in bed without moving and stare at the ceiling 24/7.

So PLEASE go to your doctor. There could be something very seriously amiss with your metabolism and you need to have that looked at NOW.

On the other hand, and less likely since you already lost 20 pounds and it sounds like you know what you are doing, you might be seriously undercutting what your actual intake is. How are you measuring your food? Are you logging every single little bite you take, even if it's "just a smidge"? I don't know what plan you are following so don't know what to suggest other than that.

Let us know how it goes!
Pacifica Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #12  

Wow! Thanks to everyone for your support and encouragement. You have no idea what it means to me - or maybe you do since we're all on this journey together.

I have been to the doctor and he tested my thyroid, etc and said everything came back normal. I have all the symptoms of PCOS but have never been officially diagnosed so I don't know if that has something to do with it or not. When I was in to see the doctor at the beginning of December I told him about my weight loss issues but he shrugged it off. He was happy that my change in diet had caused my cholesterol levels to significantly lower as well as my blood sugar levels to come down from their "pre diabetic" levels - but the weight thing? He wasn't so worried about.

I calorie count and I do log everything. I measure it all - if I can't measure it, it doesn't go on my plate. I use The Daily Plate to log everything.

@ AZ Sunrises: I looked back at the last week and this is a typical day of diet and exercise for me:

Breakfast: Post Shredded Wheat (2 biscuits) and a cup of skim milk - 240 calories OR a 1/2 cup of lowfat cottage cheese with an apple. - 150 calories

Lunch: Lean turkey breast sandwich made with 2 slices of thin sliced deli turkey breast, 2 slices of Dixie Rye bread (or Healthy Life whole grain wheat) and 2 slices of Sara Lee Harvati cheese. - 240 calories OR Kraft easy mac and a tuna cup - 300 calories (not great for me but it's a back up for days when I forget to pack lunch - much better than going out for lunch).

Dinner: Lean meat, veggies and a starch - usually totalling around 500 calories.

Exercise: I've been doing the EA Sports Active personal trainer - I went through the 3 week circuit and now am onto the 90 day circuit at medium intensity. For example, last night's workout included: warm ups, 3 reps of 140 "foot fires", 3 reps of 55 "mountain climbers", crunches, running, sprinting and other cardio/strength/resistance training. The entire workout lasted approximately 40 minutes.

If you all have any ideas let me know - I've got a doctor's appointment in a couple of months and I'm willing to bring it up again with him but this has been a life long thing with me so maybe it's something I'm doing/not doing and just NOT seeing because I'm too close to the situation.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I'd ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist who works with people with PCOS, and I'd eat more. More veggies, more protein, fewer carbs (easy mac), more healthy fats, nuts, etc.

1000 calories isn't enough fuel for your body.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #14  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

Have you tried eating more every day for a few weeks? Like 1400-1600 calories per day?
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
I'd ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist who works with people with PCOS, and I'd eat more. More veggies, more protein, fewer carbs (easy mac), more healthy fats, nuts, etc.

1000 calories isn't enough fuel for your body.
Maybe a nutritionist is the way to go - I'll have to see how much the cost would be or if insurance would cover it. I know that 1000 calories really isn't enough but I'm trying to keep it under control so that I will at least maintain my current weight instead of gaining.

Oh, and I do know the easy mac is NOT a great choice but I wanted honest and sometimes (maybe 2 - 3 times a month) I forget to pack a sandwich or I'm just out of sandwich stuff. I figure that it's a lower calorie, healthier back up lunch choice than going out to grab something at a drive thru.