General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-01-2003, 09:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Doin' it the Old Fashioned Way #16

Hello everyone!
Since this is our 16th thread, the girls have asked that I do sort of a "roll call"-posting a brief summary of what our group is about, and everyone starting their first post here with a little information about themselves and how far we have come together.
I started this thread almost two years ago when I first discovered this website. At the time under the general diet plans section, there were threads for just about every organized diet plan under the sun-Atkins, Slim-Fast, Sommersizing...you name it. I didn't see a thread for people like myself-who were wanting to lose weight with good old fashioned exercise and better eating habits.
Most of us here are calorie counters, but everyone doing a balanced plan, such as using food exchange plans or counting WW points are welcome. What you won't find here are fad diets such as juice fasts or anyone using gimmicky products such as diet pills. Most of our veterans here consider what we do as a lifestyle change, not a diet. We have all learned that if you go on a diet, you will gain all that you have lost when you go back to your old lifestyle. We are commited to making better choices for the rest of our lives here.
I like to also stress the importance of not relying on the scale 100% for your results, and encourage everyone to either have their body fat percentage checked periodically, or to take measurements of their bodies once a month. If you are exercising regularly, you can lose inches without losing a pound on the scale-so it is not always the best as far as showing your true progress.
My name is Amy, and I am in my late twenties. I have ALWAYS had to watch my diet and exercise regularly to keep my weight under control-even in high school. The only thing that has ever worked for me is to count calories, and to exercise. Things have always been under control until I was expecting my first child in 1998-I found that I was a gestational diabetic (diabetic when pregnant) and it causes extra weight gain in the mother, as well as larger than everage babies...among other complications. After my daughter was born, I was at 200 pounds and a size 18. When my daughter was a couple of months old, I lost my aunt to diabetes complications-this was my mother's YOUNGER sister, and she was only in her early forties. The longer my weight stayed high the more at risk I was to become a full time diabetic-and I knew I had t do something about it.
A year and a half later I was 50 pounds lighter, and was fit and felt great...then I found out I was pregnant again. I had a gorgeous son in spring of 2001, and afterwards my highest weight was 211 pounds-a size 18/20. I have since lost 32 pounds and am now at 179, and a size 16. I still have a ways to go, but I have lost a lot of body fat, and through weight training and other exercise, I have gained a significant amount of muscle.
I cross train, and my exercise regime includes a lot of weight training, yoga, Pilates, and bellydancing. I also include walking when the weather permits.
My husband is an engineer at an automotive glass plant-they make windshields and windows for major automobiles, such as GM and Dodge. He also rides a Harley. I am a licensed hairdresser/cosmetologist, but I stay home right now with the young children and devote more time to my true love-costuming. I creat costumes for lots of things, including replicas of costumes seen in movies. I am currently making costumes for my dance instructor's troupe for a show this May, and participate in lots of high scale costume contests.
I have three tattoos, I love sci-fi and fantasy films, and am a huge Seinfeld fan, and we have one cat named Gollum.
Well, that about sums me up!

Aphil
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 11:11 AM   #2  

Good Morning and Happy April! A little about me...my name is Marina and I am the mother of four children (two boys and two girls). My oldest son is attending the police academy and my youngest son is 1 1/2 years old. My girls are in the middle and they are 16 and 9 years old. I was a teenage mother with my first born and was 36 when my latest was born. In high school, I could eat anything and never gained an ounce-I was also very active (115 lbs.), but after my fourth child I weighed 202 pounds! OUCH! I was in a tight size 16! I have since started to eat healthy and exercise. I joined weight watchers on Jan. 9 and Curves last week. So far I have lost 32# and I am in a size 12- I am 5'8" and have alot more energy now! I have a desk job-I am a juvenile probation officer and hold the court ordered parenting classes for our county. My husband is very supportive, he is a city building inspector and we live on a hobby farm. I have no tattoos (only because I am afraid of needles) and I am deathly afraid of animals. I once had a frog outside of my door and stayed home because I could not walk past it! I like to read, decorate, and watch Seinfeld, King of the Hill, and American Idol (corny but true). That's all about me...
Idealperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 11:42 AM   #3  

deathly afraid of animals, huh? Better than my fear/phobia....worms. Any type-earthworms, maggots, mealworms...I refuse to walk out of the house in the dark if it is or has been raining (when they come out on the sidewalks) and I hate it when it rains during the day and they are everywhere...yuck. I don't even think I could pick one up for a suitcase full of cash. It started as a childhood thing...my cousins used to chase me with them and throw them at me when I was a little kid. I hate most bugs, spiders, centipedes, and snakes...but the worms have to be the worst.
Aphil
Old 04-01-2003, 12:50 PM   #4  

Help! I am so ready to binge.

I'm due for a meeting in my boss's office in 45 minutes to discuss why things have been so tense around here, and I am seriously ready to eat anything and everything. I don't want to give him this power over me. He's a tyrant and a horrible manager, so why should I give him power over my personal health?

Right?

But the stress is overwhelming to me right now. I'm in the middle of a job hunt in a horrible economic climate and that isn't helping either.

Sorry about this tale of woe....
Rapunzel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 12:54 PM   #5  

Great idea, Aphil!
Without going into my whole story, let's just say that I lost 103 pounds and have been working very hard for the past 9 months to maintain my loss. (I typed the equilvalent of a novel in the "Success" thread if anyone really wants to read about my journey called weight loss.)
I am a mom to a 10 year old daughter and my husband of 15 years is my best friend. I am a teacher at a small Catholic school in Connecticut and love my job (most of the time!). My husband is a City Building Inspector(Marina--does your husband constantly look for exit signs and sprinkler systems???)
I am a size 8 after getting rid of my XXL's and hope to never see them again! I am 40 years old.
I am a walker--every morning at 5:30 a.m. and have started to run a little bit. In the warmer weather I love to roller blade and ride my bicycle. It is only through exercising every day that I know I can maintain my loss.
I am a very healthy eater. Lots of fiber, veggies and low fat. I love my diet ice cream and I am addicted to diet coke.
Well, I can't wait to read everyone else's bios.
tryin'hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 01:10 PM   #6  
Student of the Hoof

Hi there - I'm really new to this thread, and I don't keep up with things the way I should. But I read it constantly, because the whole principle is exactly what I'm striving for. This is a life change, not a diet.

Lessee now... I'm 42 years old, I have a 14 yo daughter and an 11 yo son, both of whom are now thinking I've been taken over by a pod person. I am a loner, a geek/nerd/computer type, and a hermit to a large degree. I love the net and 3FC because I can be alone .. with all of you! It's wonderful. I've had times in my life when I was incredibly fit - I was a powerlifter at the University in Alaska, I have a blue belt in Taekwondo - I think I really want to go into kickboxing instead of back into TKD, though. Now I want to get back to where I know I can be.

I have a great dane, a rat terrier, 7 snakes, 2 geckos, a cuban rhino iguana, a red bearded dragon, and Harley, my hedgehog.

I also have a BF (he's a computer nerd too). And a tattoo. And a tongue piercing. Uhm.

I've been fighting my weight since I was about 10 years old. I've tried a few things, but ultimately I know what works for me, and thats to watch my caloric intake and exercise. I'm doing interval training (walk/run), free weights, pilates, and WATP at this point in time. Skinny Cows are my life saver. Right now I've been OP for 6 weeks and I've lost 12 pounds.

RavenToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 02:54 PM   #7  
Doin' it this time

S/C/G: 208.8/208.8/145

Can I join in again. I have been here before but I keep jumping off the band wagon. Again I am back to my high of 185. I am 37 married to a husband who tells me over and over I am beautiful and don't need to lose weight......no he isn't blind.........lol I have 2 kids DS is 13 DD is 10 DS grad is end of June and I don't wanna be the fat mom. I am not following any plan kinda counting cals but basically just trying to make better food choices and exercise alot more. My routine is now pilates Tues, Thurs and either Sat or Sun. Upper body weights Mon, Wed and Fri. Plus a 60 min walk with DH every night. My son does Taekwondo and just tested for his green belt he should get it on Thurs. DD plays rep hockey and I am the manager of her team. I work full time outside the home so time is always a issue and I hate waking up early but i am trying. The walk is always done at night.

That's basically all about me.

Everyone have a super day
Hockeychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 03:40 PM   #8  

Welcome back, Hockeychick! Glad to have you back!
Rapunzel--hope your meeting went well!
tryin'hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 03:59 PM   #9  

Hi all to the old-timers, new-commers, and somewhere in betweeners like me!

Lets see, I don't know my current weight, because I am too scared to get on the scale. I've had to cut down my exercises this past week because of my knees and I slipped far, far off the wagon as far as eating healthy. But good news, my knees are feeling better, just a little stiff, I did my full weight training today and 20 minutes of cardio. I will officially start counting those calories tomorrow. Today is grocery shopping day, so no more excuses.

I'm married, no kids,but I have two ferrets and one blue heeler. I work part time at home on the computer. I have one tattoo...a cute little bear holding a bomb about to explode...showing that I am as sweet as can be, but don't test me. I love to read, Dean Koontz being my favorite author, and surf the web.

Rapunzel, hang in there...turning to food will only make you feel worse as I am sure you know this. I hate when I feel like this and there is no one to talk to. Is there anybody who would like to exchange either AIM, MSN, or Yahoo Id's so we can IM each other in a time of need?

Missy
missymont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 05:27 PM   #10  

Default Hey everyone, I am back !!!!

Hey girls !!!

How the heck is everyone??? I sure have missed you guys !

I am now living in Calgary ...Yippee for me.. it feels so good to be back with my hubby once again. Being apart from each other for almost 4 months was a little too much !!

The move from BC was a real pain. Bruce had to fly in from Calgary to Kelowna BC and the catch a ride with his niece to Kitimat and then we had to pack up the house and get it loaded so the trucking company could haul it out. Bruce sliced his hand open and that required stitches, we had to take a Greyhound ( as my car was in calgary)from Terrace BC to Prince George BC where we took a plane to Calgary. I meant it when I said I felt like I was living on the end of the earth, just look at what you have to go through to get the heck out of town!! I tell you I am so happy to be back in a real city!!!! I have only been here a week and I have been to Wal mart 4 times!!!!!!!!!!! The house in Kitimat has not sold yet but I know it will eventually.

My eating was totally off for almost 2 weeks but I am proud to say that I am back on program and doing good. Between eating wrong and my thyroid acting up again, I gained back almost 9 pounds, but am back down almost 4 of them. I am really working hard to get it off once again. Next friday (April 11th ) I leave for a vacation to the states to see my kids and sweet grandbaby. I am looking so forward to it. But poor Bruce will be on his own once again.

Ok so for those newcomers here is a bit of info on me.

I am 47 years old, I have 2 children my son is 31( I was a child mommy also just turned 16 when i had my son), married and is a Lieutenant in the USAF and is the proud father to my sweet little 2 yr old grandson. My daughter is 24 and works for the Department of Children and family services and is not married but has been with her boyfriend for 4 years. My husband Bruce is the sweetest man I have ever known, we will be married 2 yrs this may 26th. He has 3 grown children.

My profession is Human Resources
Mexican food is my favorite food in the world.
I hate bugs and possums(they are just too creepy ewwwww)
I love music and have always wanted to be a songwriter ( not too many people know this about me)
My favorite perfume is Design by Paul Sebastian and then Clinque Aromatics.
I love to go to the movies and I also love to bowl.
My children are my greatest achievement and they make me very proud.

My highest weight was 304 pounds and my lowest must have been my birth weight
I follow the WW program and love it! It has helped me lose 120 pounds that I have kept off for many years and WW will help me lose the remaining 30 or so pounds.
One day when I reach my weight loss goal I hope to become a WW leader.

ok, I guess I could go on and on but why bore you any longer

Im outta of here for now.....it feels so good to be back !!!!!

See ya all later

Nancy

Highest wgt 304
current wgt 184.5
Snowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 06:06 PM   #11  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Default Introducing....KINA the great!

...and the crowd goes W I L D!!!!! I wish I had a lion clippie to put here. It would have gone so well.

Anway...My true name is Corina. I am 29 going on 30 in just 13 days! The countdown begins!!! I am married; we have four children(2boys, 2 girls) ranging from 1st grade to 6th grade. My husband and I are raising a H.M.O (His Mine and Ours) family.

I am a college student, my major is Paraprofessional accountant. I decided to go back to school in Spring of 2001, without the total support of my husband. Now after all these semesters he is my biggest supporter. I have a long ways to go because I have planned to take 2 classes at a time and I don't attend in the summer because the kids are home.

I have not always been overweight but once I started to have children was when the weight creeped up on me. It was only until 2002 that I got serious about my weight because I noticed I was heaving after going up a half flight of stairs at school. It is hard enough being amongst so many young girls but then to top it off with being overweight was the cherry on the top. I have been able to drop 30 lbs and have managed to hold it down for now a few months. Which is amazing in itself.

I crochet and knitt blankets for family and friends. It has become my stress reliever. What more can I say about myself? Hmmm...I like to cook; which could explain my weight problem. I love life. I love smiling. I love family. Okay well enough about me.

I will talk to you all later.
Kina

Oh BTW...is your refrigerator running...yes?...you better go and catch it!!!! April Fools!

Last edited by Kina; 04-01-2003 at 06:10 PM.
Kina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 07:05 PM   #12  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Talking :)

Hey everyone!! Great to see so many posts already on the new thread!!

Welcome back to Snowey and Hockychic!! Awesome to see that people come back to us!!

Hmmm… I will give you the short version of the life of Nola…. Aka Kanola.

I grew up near Edmonton Alberta and lived there for 8 years. I almost completed a degree in science, almost finished the courses for an accountant, almost finished my designation in North America for a commercial real estate manager…… and have worked in commercial real estate for about 5 years now. I love the industry but dislike my current job as I will likely be made redundant in the next couple of months…. Oh well.

I met my hubby in Whistler when I attended a conference there. He is Aussie and was doing a 5 week ski course. Love at first site and we had a LONG distance relationship for 3 years and finally decided to get married and I moved to Melbourne 2 years ago. I love Australia. We took up motorcycles a year ago and are both still on our restricted licenses so we have a 250 Hornet and a 250 Spada. They are both naked (no plastic bits) sports bikes and my goal is to do a track day outside of Melbourne on an international grand prix track….. with a bigger bike of course!!! We have 2 cats and no children. I am 31 and really have no intentions of pursuing a family at this time, I am enjoying career life and married life right now!!

I started putting on weight once I was out of university and working full time. I could never seem to fit exercise into my schedule. I went back to school part time until I moved to Australia and it seemed like between working, studying, life in general…. Exercise became less and less frequent. DH and I kept in touch via the internet and this meant most evenings included 2 hour chat sessions. I gained 20 lbs between the time I met him and the time I arrived in Aus…. Half of that was during the last 5 months when I sold my house, quit my job and said good bye to my family and friends…. I ate a lot of pizza and drank a lot of beer!!!

I have lost about 20 lbs since joining WW last September. It has been a slow scale loss for me, but I have gone from an 18 – 12 in clothing sizes and could really use some smaller clothes!!! I follow the WW plan modified because I do several fitness classes, cardio and bodypump and circuit classes. I increase my protein intake using protein powder in my oatmeal, egg whites (0 points) and cottage cheese. Consistently I eat over my points, but I make sure that it is healthy good food and not junk!!! I would like to lose another 10 lbs to get me to my pre-college weight. WW is a scale based program and it is tough to lose that mind set, I have been recording my measurements, taking photos and I keep trying on my ‘large’ clothes to remind myself how far I have come. It has been a lifestyle change for us.

I have had some medical tests in the last 2 weeks because there have been some variances in my blood work. I was feeling very fatigued and had low energy levels, which is very out of character for me. On the blood work that came back there was slightly high cholesterol levels and indications of liver problems. I had an ultrasound yesterday and more bloodwork so I should find out by the end of the week what came up with those tests!! The best case scenario is ... gallstones!!

Wow….. I really need to get stuck into work even though my motivation level is low!!!

Have a good on plan day everyone!!!

Nola.
Kanola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 09:43 PM   #13  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hi everyone!

Nancy, welcome back! So glad you are happy where you are now.

and welcome back hockeychic!

Okay, I'm Holly, 42 yrs. young, lol, married for 23 years...to the same guy. Two boys, 20 and almost 13. One dog. We live in Vermont; I was born/brought up in NJ, but my family roots are here. I, like Nola, took up motorcycling last year; I have a 2002 Honda Shadow 600, and it is my new passion. Husband, (46 this year, a multi-media designer but night job is security monitoring) also loves riding, so it's a great thing we do together.

Besides riding the motorcycles, I like to kayak, swim, and flower-garden in summer. I hibernate during winter! I'm not a skier, or snowshoe-er. I like to take the dog on long walks when the weather's nicer. And of course I love to bake, and to cook.

We have a small, fixer-upper house...and since my husband isn't much of a home-repairer, it will probably always be a fixer-upper! But I am no great shake at decorating, or imagining rooms differently, so I am not too bothered by it (meaning our home is homey AND homely, haha).

I have been chubby since...like 4th grade. That's when I first remember the teasing/taunting . I was just mildly overweight in school, maybe size 13/14. But once I married (at 19), husband and I both started gaining.

I have been a pastry baker for 16 years; and that means alot of time on your legs, all day (or night). My knees were hurting so much by the time I was 30. I bought some video tapes, and started eating differently/exercising, and went from about 170 to 155. The pain in my knees was gone from the exercising, but I lost the weight by going low-fat, not by portions or calorie counting, so slowly the weight came back. I continued with the exercise tapes, but they couldn't compete with the no-limits eating.

I found this website in Feb. of last year; I was at 176 (I'm 5'6") unhappy, felt yucky. With the support here, and counting calories and exercising faithfully (6X week), I have lost 31/+ pounds, and wear loose size 8 and some 6. I now love to have my picture taken, and am almost a bit of an exhibitionist!

My big thing in life for the next few weeks is preparing for a road trip on the 'cycles - we're meeting some people who are riding from California; meeting at noon on May 1st at the Arch in St. Louis, Missouri. We're not camping out at night; we'll be staying at motels. I will need hot baths and clean sheets after riding 400 mile days! We are also meeting other people there that we met on-line, thru our "biker" group, and I am "spicier" with them than the Holly you know here, so that means some spicy biker chick pics! and THAT is more motivation to keep working out.

Wow, I hogged alot of space. But it's great fun to read about all of you!

Your friend, Holly

Feb. 2002 - 176
late August 2002 - 142
post Christmas - 146
current - 143
goal - to see how I look at 141? 140?

Last edited by VermontMom; 04-01-2003 at 09:46 PM.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 04:48 AM   #14  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Just wanted to quickly say how awesome this group is!!

The support on this thread is amazing and we are a fantastic and diverse group of chickies!!

You go girls!!
Kanola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 09:09 AM   #15  

Hey everyone!
Holly-I am a bit "spicier"myself....hee hee hee-but this is a family oriented website!
Nancy-I am so glad that you are back! We all missed you so much!
Hockeychic-welcome back!
Well...I was up pretty late last night with sewing...I am doing 4 sashes, 4 tops, and 4 skirts...so far after only getting the fabric on Sunday afternoon-I have 2 sashes finished, and I cut out the fabric pieces for two of the skirts, which I will start sewing today. It was kindof hard, because of the way that they fit, I have to sortof draft my own alterations to the pattern for each one...so the hip width and the skirt length is a little different for each girl. I will definitely get pics up here when they are done.
It was such a nice day yesterday! I did my workout earlier in the day, but after dinner I put Raiden in the stroller, and Jasmine and I took a small walk-2 laps around our cul-de-sac-which is a perfect distance for her little legs. She just loves it-she points and talks about everything-the houses, the flowers or items in yards...she doesn't complain about getting tired or anything! This is the same child who asks for kiddie yogurt in the store, and not cookies! I have really lucked out there...I just hope that she continues to grow up with healthy habits like that!
It is supposed to be nice today as well, around 70 degrees-so I will take another small walk with them today along with my regular workout.
I am once again going to ask everyone to post a their daily menu for a day or two up here again...for those of us who are going through plateaus and not really losing-it makes it so much easier to have everyone look and give suggestions...it also gives others some new ideas for meals that they may have not thought of before.
Here is mine from yesterday:
breakfast
2/3c. Grain Shop high fiber cereal
1/2c. skim milk
1c. orange juice
meal total-240 calories
lunch-
Lean Cuisine Swedish Meatballs
yogurt
meal total 390
snack-apple
80 calories
Sloppy Joes made with ground turkey and lite buns
meal total 570
snack-yogurt
100 calories
daily calories-1380
I did really well with getting my 2 servings of fruit and 2 servings of dairy in...my biggest problem yesterday was getting in veggies-this is usually not a problem. The kids ate the SLoppy Joes-and didn't notice that it was made with turkey intead of beef-Jason was not fooled, because he saw the meat in the pan when I was browning it-before it was disguised by the sauce-darn. So of course he could tell a difference because he "saw" it beforehand-I think I could have fooled him otherwise!
I am still eating between 1200-1800 calories a day, letting my hunger be more of a guide-if I do a huge workout or am havng pms cravings, I let myself go up a little-but I usually average around 1400-1500 each day-NEVER going below 1200. To all newbies, that is so important. If you eat too little, your body will go into starvation mode and conserve calories instead of readily burning them-and this body mechanism is even stronger in women than in men, since we are the "givers of life" and were meant to survive through famines and keep the human race going... You may lose a couple quickly this way, but that will soon slow down and you will have trouble losing anything at all. A good goal to aim for is about a pound a week, 2 if you are really overweight-200+ pounds-which will tend to slow down a little bit after you lose the first 10-15 pounds.
I am also with Nola on checking your bodies progress in ways other than the scale. I took my measurements yesterday-and was surprised to find that even though I have only lost 1 pound since my last measuring-that I have lost 3/4" of my hips, 1/4" off of each thigh, and 1/4" off my waist! (And this is only been in the last 2 weeks!) Things like that just don't show on the scale...the wonderful changes in your body when you exercise and firm them up! (Officially, since July-my hips have went from 47" to 44"-and my waist from 39" to 34 1/4", and my bust from 42 1/2" to 40"-I take a lot of other measurements, thighs, upper arms, etc. but there is the basic 3!)
Well, I better run-I have to workout, eat breakfast, and get these kids in the tub!
Aphil