Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 11:23 AM   #1  
Peace with body and soul

Cool The Word on SLIMFAST!

http://www.ultimatefatburner.com/rev...fast-diet.html

and part II:

http://www.ultimatefatburner.com/rev...ast-diet2.html
Old 04-09-2003, 11:29 AM   #2  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

In a word: disgusting

In more words:

Doesn't teach you how to eat like a "normal" person.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:08 AM   #3  

I do drink slimfast (the soy fruit ones) on the weekends. I thought I was getting protein. Guess I'll have to look for another route when it comes to a protein drink. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-20-2003, 01:04 PM   #4  
it's always something

Slimfast has one of the highest, if not THE highest, failure rates of all diet products.

I'd be very careful about the site that this info came from, though. The few reviews of diets may be a good way to get traffic. However, the purpose of the website is to sell a lot of diet supplements and their information on them is far from accurate. Most of the items they list have been proven in extensive research NOT to help in weight loss, and many can be harmful if taken by people with pre-existing medical conditions.

Hollie, I make soy protein smoothies every morning. I use a good handful of partially thawed frozen strawberries, a small banana, about a half cup of nonfat sugarfree vanilla yogurt, and enough skim milk to make it the right consistency. I also add a scoop of pure soy protein powder (unflavored, no additional ingredients).

I don't get enough protein from my normal diet, so this helps round things out. My choice of soy protein is mainly due to the recommendations by the FDA and the American Heart Association. I make my own shakes instead of buying the odd mixtures on the market because I like to be in control of what I put in my body, lol. There are so many products on the market these days that are overloaded with unnecessary or potentially dangerous ingredients
Old 04-20-2003, 05:44 PM   #5  
Body-for-Lifer

I didn't lose any weight following the slim-fast diet for a month. It's also really hard to follow it all the time, like when you're out with friends or whatnot. Plus I am ALWAYS hungry when I have it, and I got sick of the meal bars (nasty!).
Old 04-21-2003, 05:52 PM   #6  

Thanks Suzanne for your recipe protein mixture, I will indeed try that. Can I get the dry soy at any grocery store, or do I need to go to a health food store? Also, is there a particular brand that is better then others? Thanks!!!
Old 04-23-2003, 08:24 AM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

Good posts, all! I agree about Slimfast... I read the labels and could not believe anyone would eat the stuff! Sugar sugar and sugar mixed with junk! But good point too, Suzanne, about being careful what you believe you read just because it is on a website.

Sue
Old 04-23-2003, 01:55 PM   #8  

In my honest opinion, SlimFast isn't a very good product. The meal bars taste like......DOG FOOD! There is also a lot of sugar in the shakes, and to be honest, I was hungrier on Slim Fast than I am now on a healthier plan. For the 220 calories in one shake, I can have my steamed vegetables over rice, a piece of fresh fruit, and two ounces of baked fish--all of 4 grams of fat or less.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:23 AM   #9  

I used slimfast and nestle sweet success when I had my wisdom teeth out. The smell of the shakes alone has the power to make me sick now. Especially those strawberry ones....uggh.
Old 04-27-2003, 08:54 AM   #10  

I use MetRx Meal replacement shakes, and protein powder. These are loaded with nutrients, much better than slimfast. But I only use one a day to help me with my protein intake. Otherwise I eat real food. I follow Body Rx so I need the added protein for my workouts.

If you want recipes for shakes, there is a great sticky in the ladies who lift forum: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...&pagenumber=6. It is the one by DiamondDeb.

Robin
Old 05-05-2003, 08:52 AM   #11  
Just call me Melis

Quick note on good places to find pure soy powder-grocery stores may have it, but chances are it'll be a VERY limited selection and more expensive. Places like Wild Oats and other whole food/health food stores will have more variety and the staff are generally more knowledgeable about the products. I was using a soy shake mix (and these soy bars that were like Rice Krispie treats only made with soy nuts that were fab) from www.revivalhealth.com -was using this to try to lower my cholesterol but it's expensive and I didn't care for the vanilla shake one iota. The stuff has 31 grams of carbs (and that's if you make it with WATER) but also had 20 grams of protein (24 grams of soy protein isolate) and it gave me horrendous gas.

It may have been helpful to some of their reps-those people were all gung ho....almost like metabolife people, but it wasn't helpful to me. The only satisfaction I got from it was a full tummy.

take care,
Melis
Old 05-05-2003, 01:12 PM   #12  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Height: 5'7"

I might be the only person in the world who likes the meal bars. Not all of the, but there are two I'm crazy about. I use them on mornings when I'm going to be up and out the door in a hurry or when I want something to stick in my bag for a snack later. I'd rather eat a meal bar than nothing and they beat fast food if you know you're going to be out for a long time without a lot of options. I especially like to have one on mornings when we have a very early flight, and they're good to have on the plane for something to keep your tummy from growling.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:22 AM   #13  

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Following the slimfast plan exactly *will* help you lose weight! (Note the reason for this is because slimfast is so disgusting you won't want to drink them... thus the only calories you will be consuming will come from your one meal)
Bottom line.... BLECK!
Old 05-07-2003, 10:57 PM   #14  

Slim fast wouldnt work for me either.

I make my own drinks with whey protein, strawberries, raspberries, mango, plain yogurt and a little oj, plus ice.

I have thyroid issues so soy protein isnt something I can use but whey protein I like really well.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:59 PM   #15  

What does soy protein have to do with a thyroid issue? I have had one side of the thyroid removed. And slim fast has never worked for me either!!! ick!!!
Closed Thread