Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:07 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default February Chat

Here we go with a new month - one more month closer to Spring.

Well, the honeymoon is over with Victoza. I am up two pounds this morning. I had that spicy bean soup for lunch yesterday and some pasta last night and I think my enemy Mr Salt has attacked. There'll be lots of water and veggies happening today.

There will also be lots of exercise and I am completely out of firewood inside the house. We are expecting the Big Snow to hit us overnight and I want to be prepared in case the power goes out. Being able to warm the back room in the house would be a comfort to the dogs and me if that happens. I also need to fill some water jugs. Gotta love the country when the water disappears if the electricity dies!

My ear worm for the day is "I will survive"!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:22 AM   #2  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

While the rest of the province is hunkering down for a good winter storm, I am on a train, (at this very moment, free wi-fi on board!) heading to Toronto for another 3 days of meetings. I have plans to go to yoga, have done scouting ahead of time so I know where to go etc. I will have supper with DD and son-in-love tomorrow too, so having the blessings with the work helps. DH suggested he come visit and spend the night at the hotel with me, which is appealing, but I worry I wont get any sleep for the meetings on Thursday, which being the 3rd and last day, means they will be the most important.
I didn't weigh this am since I was up so early, don't think its so accurate when sleep is affected. Getting up at 530 is not for me on a regular basis. I am glad to be going by train again, and not driving. This is more relaxing for sure.
I worked it out too, when going solo, it is quite a bit cheaper than driving. Between gas and city parking rates, driving is a very expensive proposition in big cities.
Ruth, do you think that bean soup fills you up with gas? oh wait, that should make you lighter. LOL
Rosebud, we got down to -24 so for a change, we were colder down south.
Its warming up to get ready for the snow here tho.
Trish, I think this one won't hit you where you live, but stay warm and healthy and sit back and enjoy our whining!
Have brought a few things for food plan, and found a small grocers near my hotel, so can pick stuff up for lunches. Suppers out and breakfasts at cora's, I will try to stay on plan as much as possible.
have a good day everyone.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Good afternoon Chickies.

Mad No I don't think we are going to get any of this storm. The guy who did my fills for my nails this morning loves the snow and I think he was hoping for us to get snow tomorrow. The other ladies and I were talking about how we were tired of it. I'm not really ready for the weather to get to much warmer, but I am ready for that transitional time between winter and spring temps. Your trip sounds so nice on the train. I have always wanted to take a train trip. It is a blessing that you get to visit with your DD and SIL. I understand about DH being there when you need to sleep. Tony stays up almost all night any way and when we travel, he seems to think I need to do it too. I think that is why it is so easy for me to get sick when we travel. Either way, enjoy what time you have for yourself.

Ruthie I have the same problem with salt. I was up a few lbs recently and couldn't figure out why because I didn't think I had done anything wrong. It is so easy to get salt into things we don't know is there. I have the problem now because Cardiologist told Tony not to cut back on his salt and I have to cut back. What I do most of the time is that I lightly salt things or don't salt them at all and DH uses the salt shaker. Actually there are very few things that I love salt on especially extra and that is beans and soup. You brought back so many memories of when I lived in the country. We had a wood stove in the living room because many times when it snowed especially unexpectedly the electricity would go off and the electricity would go out. One time, I had forgotten to call and have the butane tank filled and we had no heat. Did our cooking on the wood stove. And no water when electricity went out.

Well, I did the whole dvd 40 minutes yesterday. I was so proud of myself. I was OP with WW Pts+ as my guide and as doctor approved, I only used 24 of my 29 pts because I didn't need them and refused to force feed myself. I really believe those times will even out over the week. I am eating only healthy foods. Weight is coming back down. Sorry to say they are recycled lbs, not new ones. But I am well on my way to working the plan.

Today DH goes for teeth cleaning and I'm going to the health food store while he is having that done and then we are going to pick up meds and a few things at Walmart. So walking in the stores will be my exercise today. Later today when we get home, I will probably try some of the Yoga movements on my new Senior exercise dvd DH got me for Christmas. I am suddenly so ready for getting into an exercise routine.

Rosebud and others reading

You gals in all that storm I don't mine your whining. I would be doing it with you if I was going through it. It may be close, but I hope not too close. Y'all try to stay warm.

Later,
Old 02-02-2011, 06:20 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

OK, I'll whine! I had to shovel a drift away from the deck door this morning so my furries could go out for potty! I suspect they didn't go off the deck but who can blame them. They were out less than a minute and came back in shivering and covered with sleet.

There! I whined.

We now resume regular programming.

BGL was 3.8 again this morning after an unexplained high of 7.5 yesterday. The weight is back down a smidge.

Today will definitely be a no-gym day since Richard won't get me ploughed out until this stuff stops. I plan to do some treadmill and make something healthy and comforting for dinner. Maybe meatloaf or chili? I still don't have much appetite (none actually) but know I must eat. Whodathunkit?

On we go!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:47 AM   #5  

Ruthie You are so cute. Thanks for the chuckle. I would whine too. I think it is good for you to stay in and stay warm. I'm sure a lot of people are whining this morning even here in USA. I don't understand this BS stuff and weight. My weight is almost back down to low before I get back to virgin territory, but FBS not matching it. So confusing to me. May have to go back to Atkins, but I don't lose as quickly on Atkins as I do on this new plan. Will just have to see. It is really frustrating isn't it?

Quick one as I've got to run out this door in 5 just wanted to say Hi and have a safe and warm day.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:04 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

and .
It finally stopped snowing! Richard ploughed me out around noon yesterday but it'll have to be done again before I go anywhere.
BGL is still OK at 3.8 and the "smidge" has returned - probably from soy sauce in last night's dinner.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #7  

A quick flyby again. Out early for DH to go see primary doc. It was a good visit and he doesn't have to go back for 3 months to see the doc of course will have to continue going to be sure everything is okay with the coumidin. Did get more of an understanding of things with primary doc. He says with Tony having the gene causing him to make clots that he may have to be on the coumidin for the rest of his life to keep him from having any more clots. So that was good news.

I'm fine. FBS reading has been kind of strange. Example, I checked it this morning and it was 144 mg/dl and then about 15 to 30 minutes later I took it just before breakfast and it was 106 mg/dl. Have any of you others experienced this? I thought maybe it had something to do with me exercising and asked the doc about it, but he said it should go down with the exercising not up. So who knows. I want to use WW for portion control, but I am going to cut back on some of the fruit and eat more veggies and see if that helps.

Cold here today, but not what many others of you are having. Stay warm and safe.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #8  
Come on Spring!

Default ** Sigh **

Back down a smidge this a.m. and I suspect I have let more salt sneak into my diet. I used a taco mix yesterday! My darn BGL was 3.3 this morning and I DID eat a small carb snack at bedtime. I think it'll take a while to balance out this Victoza.

I'm out of multi-vitamins this week and absolutely must get some today. When I am eating so much less, I'm sure I need them. No exercise is happening because I seem to have hurt my back with shoveling and wood-lugging.

On to a better weekend.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #9  

Ruthie So sorry about your back. I hope it doesn't give you problems for too long. You mentioned milti-vitamins... I've got to go take mine now before I forget.

Missing a lot of us last few days. Hope everyone is doing well and staying warm.

I'm on my new plan. I'm eating starches only once a day. Then I suddenly realized that this is actually the same as the Heller's CAD/CALP woe. Always did love this woe and almost got down to normal weight eating this way when Tony and I first married. Go figure.

Mad Did you get back home okay? Hope you are staying warm wherever you are.

Rosebud Are you keeping warm?

Hope everyone is doing okay. Y'all have a great weekend.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #10  
Madeleine

Default Home again

GOt home last night, but the train was sold out, very crowded and the wi-fi wasn't working. The meetings were productive, but there are more in the future, maybe the last week of February.
Trish, re the blood sugar conundrum, are you exercising in the morning before taking your fbs? exercise brings bs down overall, but shortly after the exercise, it will be higher. I believe this is due to glucose being released from the cells with the exercise. It goes down a while later.
Weight is 169 this am, so up a small amount, but nothing to worry about.
Still haven't lost anything since before Christmas, so must get to work.
Had one good yoga workout while in Toronto on Tuesday pm, but the other days just some walking for exercise. Today though got out for a good cross country ski with a colleague from another practice who also had a day off. We go off trail and get lost when we go out, so had a lot of fun.
My new baby is gaining weight and feeding better, and is getting cuter by the day.
Ruth, I don't know if you need to go to the gym, with all the snow shovelling you are certainly getting exercise, but watch your back!
Am off the rest of the weekend and plan more skiing and yoga while I can get it.
Have a lovely day friends.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:00 AM   #11  
Come on Spring!

Weight down another smidge to 194.4 and BGL 5.6. I made sure to eat some carbs with dinner last night and did take glyburide. This will be an adjustment time. I have been a bit disappointed in the weightloss results until I realized I was 202 on January 24 and did the math! Last night I increased the Victoza to 12 ml per doc's orders and we'll see what happens in the next week.

I am just not hungry, an amazing state for me. Because I know I'm not eating enough, I bought some super-foods yesterday to try to correct that. I have Florida strawberries and gorgeous red peppers on hand along with spinach. Now to plan and EAT the meals!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #12  
Madeleine

Hey Ruth, I agree, when appetite down having planned healthy meals is important. Eventually you would get hungry, and if nothing is planned, you might not eat right. My weight back down to ticker again, in spite of having ham last night, so maybe with salt out of my system it would be lower.
We have a party to go to tonight. I feel obligated to go because they are friends/colleagues of DH, and I am always dragging him out for my stuff.
I don't know how I will get through this without eating too much tho. Am taking my own drinks. Will eat before hand. I am planning to sit away from the kitchen. Its usually just a mingling party, (its their midwinter Groundhog day party, they do it every year) so I can't distract myself playing board games, cards or playing music. Those are some of the ways I have been handling parties this year.
Any suggestions gratefully suggested.
Enjoy your Saturday friends.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:41 AM   #13  
Come on Spring!

Upped the Victoza over the weekend and the new dose stings when I inject. I also have a bit of bruising so need to switch sites. BGL was 3.3 this morning, probably from a low carb dinner. At my age, you'd think I'd smarten up!

Mad, I'm sure you survived the party well. You certainly seem to have your strategies all worked out. I have a dinner party tonight after our Church annual meeting and am not going to have any wine. I'm planning to take along diet gingerale. The food should be OK as Claire's a healthy cook. I just hope I can serve myself and eat a reasonable amount.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #14  
Madeleine

Ruth, hope your dinner party goes well too. Well, the weather got bad, had a sudden dump of snow coming down fast, was whiteout conditions, so we didn't go anywhere. Hubby also came down with a cold, so he wasn't going to the party anyhow. I would have done something else, but with the weather how it was, I stayed in. Got very tired all of a sudden, and fell asleep at 9 pm on a Saturday night. Was up a couple of hours in the night, but got back to sleep again, so total of 10 hours last night. Hope to get in a ski today before superbowl stuff. Where we go to watch the game, I can sit in one spot and serve just the food that is ok. (the wings, meatballs, chili, cheese, and not the chips and crackers etc) . I am not a big football fan, maybe I will bring a board game to play with someone else who couldn't care less.
I know that is blasphemy to some. My daughter LOVEs it. Give me hockey any day. LOL
Hope everyone else is having a good weekend.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #15  
Come on Spring!

Once I sat and watched a game with the sound off and listened to the Metropolitan Opera. My husband was quite disgusted!

Just found out Claire is serving a turkey dinner with lots of veggies. I can eat my way around that. I was worrying it'd be pasta. Christine is bringing dessert - a chocolate butterscotch cake iced with Skor bars! I'll definitely pass on that - just typing it makes me nauseous.
Closed Thread