Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 11:35 AM   #1  
Carol

Default Over 50 + Being Healthy

Hello to all on this beautiful day
Over 50 + Being Healthy

I don't know about all you ladies over 50, but I have decided to take a stand and get my life back.

I am 51 years old, the mother of 3 grown children and grandmother to 14 grandkids. My husband and I co-own a dairy farm (he does most of the farm work) and I am a legal assistant for a mid size law firm. If you want to know more about me, please post and we can get to know each other.

It is time to get my weight under contol, to exercise and have fun!!

If there is anyone else out there that would like to give and get support I would really like to get to know you.

Please post and lets get the ball rolling.

Hugs to all.

Carol

Old 04-19-2003, 02:00 PM   #2  
Carol

Okay, have I scared everyone away.

Is there no one out there around my age that wants support and encouragement?

Carol
Old 04-19-2003, 09:13 PM   #3  
Carol

Is there no one out there that wants to help and support me?

Carol
Old 04-20-2003, 01:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Hi,

I usually don't post on this forum, but I just turned 50, and definitely know where you're at. And I need all the support and encouragement I can get! Last fall I made the decision that I didn't want to spend my 50s like I spent most of my 30s and all of my 40s--fat and hating it!

So I joined Weight Watchers (I like and need the support of meetings) the end of October, and then in January I joined the YMCA. I do five aerobics classes a week and do daily stretching exercises that include some weights. The stretching is actually therapy for a health problem. On the weekends, my husband and I walk, usually with our dogs.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Hey, 14 grandchildren--that's amazing! Can you remember all their names? I have a blended family of four kids (1 his, 2 hers, and 1 ours) and one gorgeous granddaughter who is 2.5 years old. Was hoping for another one this year, but my son got laid off, which kind of put a crimp in their plans for another baby.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:30 AM   #5  
Carol

Hello Sheila:

So glad you dropped by. I was having a hard time believing that I was the only 50 + person out there.

Good for you for doing something for you!!! You sound like you are doing Great!!!

Keep up the good work.

I have had a rough last 10 months. I had surgery last July on my left ankle for arthritis and to stablize my ankle so I didn't turn it all the time. I was in a cast and therapy for approximately 5 1/2 months and was just starting to get my "legs" back when I fell on ice in December and broke my right ankle.

I went through having a cast and now I am going through phsical therapy for it!! Whew... I haven't been able to walk or even stand for very long periods of time without pain since July. So needless to say, I have not been getting any exercise.

I did join the YMCA mid last month, but haven't made it there yet. I have been giving my ankle a little more time before I hit the Fitness Center there. I am planning on starting it up the beginning of next month. It is hard to believe that I was walking 3 miles a day a year ago!!

Anyway, I started seriously dieting 2 days ago. So hopefully my feet/ankles will notice a difference with weight loss and I can get back to doing exercises more.

My grandkids names are: Summer, Destiny, Lena, Avery, Cara, Autumn, Logan, Joseph, McKayla, Allison, Jessielyn; Andrew, Amanda, Jonathon. See I did remember!

I am glad to have a "friend" to help me along. I tried WW online about a year ago, but was not having much luck. I probably would have done better if I had gone to meetings like you!

Anyway, it is great to meet you. I think we could be a great help to each other. Please post again and also feel free to email me at anytime. [email protected]

Even if I don't get time to check out the website everyday, I do check my emails daily!!

Your newest Friend
Carol
195.5/193.5/130

Last edited by Carol101; 04-20-2003 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:11 AM   #6  
Happy Member

Am I too old for this group??? Howdy from Wyoming. I am almost 77 years old, you are a couple of youngsters compared to me. I have four grandchildren, no great grandchildren. My husband and I are retired, we have been married for 56 years. A nice black cat lives with us.

I got serious about getting healthy on January 1, 2000, which was a good time to start. I lost over 45 lbs. and was able to quit taking my diabetic meds, and reduce all other meds. I have kept those lbs. off for a year and a half now, but that is a day-to-day struggle. I exercise, but I don't like to. Mostly my exercise is walking. My doctor is happy with me and my general state of health.

I try to stay positive, and I can vouch for the fact that you are never too old to get healthy.

And thank you for starting this thread.
Old 04-20-2003, 01:00 PM   #7  

Wow! You're doing great, and you're a definite advertisement for the fact that it's never too late to get healthy.

Have either of you tried water exercise? It's great for people with arthritis and injuries because it doesn't put any stress on the joints. I haven't tried it, but I'm thinking about it. Gotta see if there are any others who fill out that swimsuit as much as I do before I take the plunge!

One of the aerobics classes I take it called Active Older Adults and I'm the youngest in the class. Some people are in their 80s and it's incredible to see them move so much. Definitely no rocking chairs for these guys--and they all look so great. Many have been in the program for 10 years! It's not a class for creampuffs either because the instructor is like a drill sergeant and really works us hard.
Old 04-20-2003, 04:19 PM   #8  

Default Can I join this group?

Hi, I 'd be interested in joining you'all.
I'm 51, married, have one child, who has just turned18 and will be going to college in the fall.
After starting and re-starting a diet plan, I really got serious in March/03 and since then have lost 8 lbs. I walk daily, do a body-flex tape daily; hand held weights 3x week for my upper body.
I am small boned, and only 5'4 and so 40 extra lbs looks awful on me. I am involved in the Protein Power diet, which is a moderate carb/adequate protein diet.

Would love to join the group. Since hitting the big 50, I can really tell a difference in my metobolism.

Talk to you later, Claudette
Old 04-21-2003, 07:02 AM   #9  
Carol

Welcome Sheila, Claudette and Jo!

What a nice little group we have going here.

Jo: you are such an inspiration. You make us all realize that we can be thin and healthy at any age!! Way to go!!

Claudette: Boy you are so right about the metabolize slowing down!! I think mine has stopped

Sheila: I have been told that swiming would be a great way to get a work out without stress to the joints. I intend to try it out real soon.

Ladies, I am happy to report that I did pretty darn good staying on plan yesterday. Boy was it hard with all the good food and candy around. But I am determined this time! I have a trip to the Bahamas in November that I am desperately trying to lose weight for. I don't want to be the beached whale in a swimsuit when we go!

I have to finish getting ready for work right now, but I am so glad to see all of you here. I will check back tonight to see how you are all doing.

Have a great Day

Hugs
Carol
Old 04-21-2003, 07:13 AM   #10  
Happy Member

Good morning, everyone. I did OK yesterday, although there was certainly lots of food here and there. But as a diabetic I avoid sweets and so I was able to stay away from the candy, etc.

My DH and I even went for an afternoon walk along the river. Our community is putting boulders into the river to make a stretch of it into a white-water rafting area. It is fun to watch it happening, and NO, I will not be doing any white-water rafting. LOL.

Today is a new day, stick to doing what you know you should be doing, and keep smiling -
Old 04-21-2003, 08:24 AM   #11  

Room for one more? I had the same question as Jo but if she's "legal", then so am I.

I'm 65 and serious about my journey to good health. Been working at it for almost ten months now, some months more successfully than others. Have gone from approx. 250 to 213 ish. Slow and steady is my goal as I've never had a great metabolism. Somewhere last fall I did test low on thyroid and feel much better on medication. Can't say it's helped my weight loss efforts a lot but I'm sure it's had some effect.

Anyway, it's a new day, a new Monday, another fresh start to everything. As to water exercise, I've been doing that for well over five years - again, more at some times than others because of circumstances - and I have found it to be an exellent way to gain strength and flexibility. The schedule for the place I go is such that it busts up a day fairly well but is well worth it. Must get back to a more steady schedule again. Even at 250 lbs, I was never the heaviest when I go and by now I'm so used to a suit, I'd brave anywhere in one. I go to a Rehab place that offers a Community Wellness program at limited hours. Have also gone to a Y but water is colder and not as suited to my arthritis. Also Rehab is less expensive (but no other options there) and offers more opportunities for price.

Go for it if you can find a place and with summer coming I'm sure there will be more opportunities.

Good day all!
Old 04-21-2003, 12:38 PM   #12  
Dancing those pounds away

Hello to everyone. I am 52 , mother of three and grandmother of three. I am not able to join your group since I already belong to too many. LOL But I did want you to know there are a lot of us 50+ women here learning it is NEVER too late to get healthy.
I highly recommend water exercising. It is not only good for you... it is a lot of fun too. Good luck on your weight loss journey. I will peek in every now and then when I have some extra time.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:04 PM   #13  
Carol

Good Evening!

Welcome Anagram. The more the merrier I say. We are all on a path to be healthy and fit!! So come along and join in and lets do this together. Slow and steady is really the best way to lose the weight and keep it off. So you keep it up. You can do it!

JoJo: You have a wonderful attitude about life. That is great. Just spread the smiles around and see how many smile back!
A nice leisurely walk sounds great to me. Hopefully I will be back to doing just that very soon.

I did great at staying on plan today. I had physical therapy after work for my ankle I broke last December so now it is aching. But they tell me I am doing great and before long I will be back to doing all the things I used to do. Actually, I hope I do more than that!! I was turning into a couch potato!

Sheila and Claudette where are you.... Hope you had a great day too and if not, then tomorrow is another day!! Don't forget to post so we can help each other!

Hugs

Carol

Old 04-21-2003, 10:51 PM   #14  

Hi, everyone--

Other than my Skinny Cow addiction, I'm doing great. Luckily, I can work Skinny Cow into my program, but if it comes down to eating fruit or a Skinny Cow, well, it's always Skinny Cow. Guess that's why I take multiple vitamins!

I participate in the monthly challenges on another 3FC group, and I've been able to be right on track for 11 days now. I made a contract with myself that I could stay on program, journal, drink water, and exercise every day for three weeks, and I've been sticking by that. I got the idea from another forum and an Oprah show that I happened upon a couple of weeks ago. I liked the idea so much that I made it my own.

Tomorrow will be a bit of a challenge because we're going up to see the tulips in the Skagit Valley. That area of Washington State has beautiful daffodil and tulip fields and a tulip festival throughout April. We're meeting my cousin for lunch, and restaurant eating is always difficult for me. But knowing that I've made a contract that I will not break really helps.

Anagram, that's great to know about water exercise. I need to add a Tuesday workout, and I've been thinking that water exercise would work well. When I did our Y tour, they said that the water was really warm because they have a baby class. I bet it's hard for pools to keep water at the right temperature for all the different uses. Lap swimmers really hate warm water.

Carol, glad you had a great day, and that your ankle is doing better.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:58 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi everyone:

I am 50 years old, have a 17 yr daughter, separated & have boyfriend. Been doing WW with 2 girlfriends since Sept 01. Have lost 23 # (was 33 at one point) but gained some back. Keep going back & forth with the same 10 # forever. Current weight is 194.2 and have been doing the Walk Away The Pounds (2 mile) tape for a month. Really like it - so far have done at least 11.5 miles per week since starting. My biggest challenge is the weekends. I seem to do pretty good during the week then get side-tracked on the weekends. Need some support & tips from you guys.

Anyway, talk to you soon.
Closed Thread