Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-11-2011, 12:21 AM   #1  
Sassy!

S/C/G: 208/194/136

Height: 5'5''

Default Movie Food

Hey Ya'll!
I absolutely love love love going to the movies! I also love all of those terrible for you movie snacks. I once heard that movie popcorn has crazy amounts of calories and fat grams The "butter" is actually coconut oil, which I was told is AWFUL for you. But I also love munching on candy (usually chocolate) and diet soda. I need a movie food survival plan. Anyone else have this problem? What do you guys do for the movies?
Asherah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/217/150

Height: 5'4"

Last movie I went to I packed apples in my purse, along with one of those 100 cal packs of 'smart food' popcorn and a WW chocolate/caramel bar. But I did have a handful of my hubbys popcorn. Other option is order the kids pack, smaller than a small popcorn and just a tiny treat?
JenB77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:58 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Although I was a decent movie goer growing up, I (fortunately?) never learned to associate going to the movies with eating. For me, I don't think mindlessly eating while watching a movie in the dark would be the best thing.

Would it be possible to try to break the habit of going to the movies/eating?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:16 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 304/186.0/150

Height: 5.0

I l o v e movie popcorn. Now I just completely skip eating anything when I go. Sometimes.... I knit during the movie to keep myself busy. Luckily my husband never gets anything during the movie because he is cheap so my not eating popcorn works well for us.

Something to try though... maybe a sugar free hard candy? I think the werthers are like 40cals for 5 pieces and they take a while to suck one down (thats what she said...) so that might last you through the movie.
Jonesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

When I'm at the movies I watch the movie. Then if it's lunch time or dinner time when I'm done, I'll eat my meal.

Stopping the behavior of mindless eating is part of successful weight loss.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Lots of people bring in their own snacks and JennyT makes some good suggestions. If I'm going to see a long-ish movie and I know it will be over one of my normal meal/snack times, I bring in a banana or a protein bar. My conscience is clear with those, because I know the concession stand doesn't carry those anyway. I have no problems with the occasional diet soda, so I'll get one, or at nicer theatres they have pretty decent coffee (I drink mine black, so calories aren't a concern).

Just to put it out there, have you considered eliminating your movie time snacking? What I mean is this - is the snacking such an integral part of the movie going experience that you MUST snack during it, or can you learn to divorce snacking from watching a movie?

Personally, I have tried really hard to learn how to only eat at designated meal/snack times, in response to actual hunger. It's a lesson I'm still learning, but it's been so helpful as I cut down on cravings that are triggered more by emotion or habit than by hunger or necessity. So, like I mentioned above, I only eat at the movies when it's time for me to eat.

Only you can decide what's best for you and what you would prefer. Heck, maybe snacks ARE part of the movie for you, and that's fine - then finding better substitutions is a great plan for making this journey sustainable.

Good luck!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #7  

My mom used to always bring oranges for us in her purse when we went to a movie. I love the kid pack idea ... the portions are reasonable.

I always wished movie theaters would sell warm drinks! I would prefer drinking coffee or tea in a movie, instead of cold pop.

I've brought a travel cup of tea into a theater before, except I hid it in a deep pocket of a winter coat.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #8  
Knowing I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

We just never go near the concession stand. I pack bottled water and granola bars in my big purse and we enjoy the movie.
Teresa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

We don't go to the movies that often because of the price. But when we do, I certainly try to plan ahead for the calories. I don't care that much for popcorn, but I do love their nachos. Sometimes I will buy the candy at a convenience store to save on money AND calories in those giant sizes they have at the theater.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #10  
Sassy!

S/C/G: 208/194/136

Height: 5'5''

Well now that I have a computer again I can respond to all of your great suggestions.

Seagirl: I'm sure you didn't mean to but you sounded a little unkindly judgmental in your response. I enjoy the whole movie experience (including the food) when I go to a movie so I like to get the snacks. Truthfully I have already learned not to snack mindlessly, what I eat has purpose and a reason behind it. Movies are a special event which I associate with a special food. Ideally I would like to switch out those treats with healthier ones because I feel small steps work better for me. I have already made big changes in my life and fear the pressure of too many could cause a relapse.

The granola bar idea was great! I'm definitely going to do that when I'm hankering for a little bit of a chocolate flavor. Pressed for time though I popped my own 96% fat-free popcorn and got a diet coke and a small bag of fat free gummies. The caloric value for the entire meal was less than what I had worked off in my zumba class that day! And so satisfying! And even though it was nutritionally lacking, it was a lesson in learning how to indulge without overindulging.
Asherah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #11  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

I'm also a movie snacker...here are some things I've brought along with me:

popped a bag of lower fat/sodium popcorn at home and divvied it up into sandwich bags for each of us.
A little baggie of carrots, peppers, celery for each person
A little baggie of apple slices
A granola bar
Yogurt covered raisins for my DS
Sugar free gummy bears or jelly beans for me
Cheese & crisp bread in little baggies
bottles of water

Usually some combination of some of these things. If I do buy there, I try to buy a small popcorn and a big bottle of water, no chocolate or candy.

Last edited by Angie; 01-24-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:42 PM   #12  

Height: 5'3"

I have a meal before I go and drink water in the movie.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 145/138/120?

how about bringing a small bag of pretzels?
smoothcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #14  
Are we there yet?

S/C/G: 295/ticker/160

Height: 5'7''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
My mom used to always bring oranges for us in her purse when we went to a movie. I love the kid pack idea ... the portions are reasonable.

I always wished movie theaters would sell warm drinks! I would prefer drinking coffee or tea in a movie, instead of cold pop.

I've brought a travel cup of tea into a theater before, except I hid it in a deep pocket of a winter coat.
I agree with you! I love just a simple cup of coffee or tea with a movie. There's actually now a movie theatre in Montreal with a Tim Horton's right at the entrance, so all my dreams have come true! Before that, though, like you, I would smuggle in a tightly closed travel mug of coffee or tea.
Patrizia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

Oh, I have never tried to give up having a movie treat. On the rare occasion when I go to the movies, I pack (I portion) baggies of smartfood white cheddar popcorn from home. I buy the big bag at the grocery store and put it into little baggies. And I also have a diet soda. I love this.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote