Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Default Body Reorganizing Itself Again and I'm Not Sure It's a Good Thing

I'm loosing weight consistantly but my body is really starting to get weird with the way it proportions things. This last two weeks for example half an inch moved from my gut to my waist, half an inch moved from my arms to my thighs, and I lost half an inch from my chest and my neck. While the arms to thigh thing doesn't bother me I've heard losing on your neck is a bad thing because it means your losing muscle and the fact that more weight is going on my waist does not seem like a good thing. Is this sort of thing normal? Should I be concerned about where the weight is coming of? More importantly is it a bad sign that I'm getting bigger around on my waist?

I count my calories and eat between 1200-1600 calories a day depending on my hunger level. I exercise 4 days a week and strength train regularly. Not sure what it going on.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #2  
You'll be given love...

S/C/G: 328/283/140.00

Height: 5'5

Well, they do say that you're going to look awkward in the midst of weight loss. Like, it takes some time for everything to get "in order", and even once goal is reached it might still look funny, but it doesnt make it less worth it.

I've lost 40 pounds so far and yet somehow my arms seem to have gotten fatter and flabbier. I guess it's a good thing meaning they've lost some of the gelatinous mass under the skin and it's just hanging weird...but I was already sensitive about my arms. Now I'm trying not to wig out. Instead of doing that I'm making a savings plan for plastic surgery in India sometime next year. (Not saying you should do that, I just plan to)

So yeah, keep on trucking? I think it will right itself.
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #3  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

I am convinced that I have now lost the fat that was propping up my other fat. In some spots I look a little...well, melty. I just consider it incentive to keep going, as I've reached the point of no return--I don't want to stay melty, so I'd darned well better drop the rest!

It's probably not actual fat redistribution, just a little trick of gravity. I know I see a lot more hip than I used to because gravity's working its sinister magic on skin that used to be higher on my body; it's why my waist is four inches smaller than when I started, but my hips have only lost a couple of inches.

I've never heard that neck thing, but I think that depends a whole lot on how you carry your weight. Some people have larger fat pads in the face and neck regions, others never gained there and so never lose there when they drop the weight. With the way you're eating and working out, you're probably retaining your muscle nicely; it sounds like you're doing everything right.

I'd seen your post a couple of weeks ago about not being able to tell in pictures. Just have to say that you can SO tell how much success you've had losing! You look terrific and I am jealous of your cheekbones.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #4  

Height: 5'5

I'm convinced if I lose a couple pounds then gain them back they come back on my stomach no matter where I lost them from.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #5  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

I get kinda excited when that happens. It's annoying, but I know that the work wasn't in vain.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Losing on your neck does not mean you're losing muscle. That is some serious bro-logic right there.

It is almost impossible to tell short of something like a dexa scan if you're losing muscle or not. Having said that a great indicator of losing muscle is your lifts. Are your lifts going down? If so it is possible you're losing muscle. (The other possibility if your lifts are going down is you're overtrained)
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #7  

@JohnP My lifts are fine. I just upped my weights two days ago so I'm a little sore but nothing out of the ordinary.

@Nola your gravity explanation cracked me up. now i keep imagining my fat struggling to hold my other fat up. timber! lmao!
Old 02-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #8  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Personally, when I read your thread title, all I could think of is the periodic upheaval at my company, when the senior leadership team moves departments around under other managers & call it a "reorganization," or, as we little peons call it, when the people we're reporting to are suddenly reporting to someone else, a "re-org."

"So there's been a re-org in my body. Yeah, some fat was let go, and now it's going to spend more quality time with its family while it looks for a job elsewhere. And now my biceps report directly to my skin, and my flab reports to my triceps. My abs still aren't sure what's going on yet. But apparently the theory was closer strategic alignment between my core and my quads."
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #9  

@saef i love that analogy. i guess that was my line of thought. XD