Old 02-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #1  

Default Weird, kind of embarrassing, question

So this is a little embarrassing, but I woke up this morning with a bladder infection! It's really uncomfortable and I hate it. But I am also up 2.4 pounds! I ate a brownie yesterday and some mac and cheese, but I stayed within a decent calorie range (about 2000) that shouldn't lead to excessive weight gain at my weight. Does anybody know if bladder infections/UTIs have an effect on weight or cause water retention?
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

infections can cause fluid retention, and the carbs in mac and cheese can cause some water retention, too. I wouldn't stress a one day blip. Just hydrate and treat that UTI.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #3  
going somewhere....

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/125

Height: 5'2

probably, your body would be making more white blood cells to combat the infection, could also be keeping water to prevent the UTI from getting into your kidney's.

I have noticed when I eat sugar and carbs, because bacteria like the sugary stuff, UTI's show up more often.

Vit C, cranberry pill, lots of water can help prevent.

D-Mannose from a health food store can flush the ecoli (usual cause).
Then there is always the Dr.

After antibiotics,(if you take them) please take a pro biotic to get the good flora back in your system, or your weight loss may stall.

ready4skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 335/313.6

Height: 5'4

i tried to post a comment on your blog but its not letting me chloe, but i really just wanted to say hi, i saw you were a fellow hoosier even temporary, so far you are the closest person to my town i have seen on here(new castle)
reptogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Cranberry juice will help the bladder infection.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #6  

I am really carb sensitive; I can gain 6 lb overnight if eat lots of carbs.
Athenacapella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #7  

Hmmm usually I'm not too sensitive to carbs, but that could be it. The weather is crappy here and the travel advisory means if you go anywhere you get ticketed. I am down to frozen or boxed food. I have three carrots and a small amount of salad left veggie-wise.

reptogirl- It's nice to know that someone reads my blog! I don't know how to fix the comment settings, but I'll try since comments are always appreciated! I'm ashamed to say I don't know where New Castle is, but I'm in Richmond! We are covered in snow and ice out here.

I have some antibiotics from a previous UTI (the doc prescribed 2x as much as I needed) and so those are helping, but I can't go anywhere so the OTC meds and cranberry juice will have to wait. Ugh, not looking forward to the calories in cranberry juice and they all seem to have so much sugar in them! Or artificial sweetener...
Old 02-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #8  
Sassy, Classy, & Badassey

S/C/G: 239/221.8/135-ish?

Height: 5'5

I'm not sure if you're bladder infection-prone and usually take care of it on your own or if you prefer a doctor... but you can check out Virtuwell.com. It's a website that diagnoses things like bladder infections and pink eye. They can prescribe you an appropriate medication and send it to the pharmacy of your choice within 30 minutes. It's put on by Health Partners health insurance so I'm not sure if other people can use it (i.e. people that don't have HP) - but it's worth a shot! It's much less of a hassle to just go online than it is to make an appointment and go to the doctor.

Good luck with the infection. They suck! I've only had a bladder infection once - but I wound up in the hospital because I didn't take care of it. Just be sure to get it taken care of, sweetie!

I hope you feel better!
badassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #9  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

Azo has cranberry pills that you can take instead of dealing with the calories in the juice. I know how miserable a UTI can be - I got one at the same time I had bronchitis. I retained water because of it, too.

Last edited by kuchick; 02-02-2011 at 01:44 PM.
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #10  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

The important thing to do is flush out the bladder. Drink lots of water! (Actually three beer would do it but that's not recommended! A doctor friend told me that will replace every water molecule in your body.)
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
The important thing to do is flush out the bladder. Drink lots of water!
Definitely LOTS of water and take your antibiotics as directed. By the time you are able to get out and get cranberry juice you won't need it!! I honestly think the juice is really better as a preventive measure, so don't worry. The antibiotics will do the job.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 335/313.6

Height: 5'4

if you went west on i-70 the next "big" town would be new castle after you pass all the little ones like connersville and cambridge city, new lisbon etc... less than a hour away

hope your infection clears up..ugh!!!no good to be sick with all this ice on the ground!
reptogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #13  

Ugh...it's not a UTI. It's an actual kidney infection...