South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #1  
Always Learning

Height: 5'5"

Default You and Yogurt. I could use some other opinions...

So, I've decided that If I have to eat eggs for one more breakfast I'm going to LOOSE MY MIND. I figure splenda sweetened yogurt w/ berries is a good alternative.

Anyone get cravings from the sugars so soon in the morning? I've been reading that you shouldn't eat something (like milk) that's high in sugars first thing o.o
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I do really well with Greek yogurt because of the extra protein. Regular yogurt just doesn't keep me satisfied very long.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #3  
Rebelwithacause

S/C/G: 300/249/175

Height: 6'

Sorry, can't help with your question about having yogurt for breakfast but I can say that I absolutely love the plain non-fat Greek yogurt with fresh fruit or cinnamon and an ounce of raw nuts and some artifical sweetener for my after dinner snack. There are a lot of other options for breakfast besides eggs though. Have you checked out the breakfast recipes on this website?
TallandThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

also toss in some flax seed or granola (find one that's not all sugary).
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I love microwaving a chopped up apple until very soft, adding Splenda, cinnamon and about 1/2 cup FF plain Greek yogurt. It's yummy and filling.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #6  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

No splenda for me! I don't do sweeteners. I use honey, maple syrup or brown sugar. With most fruit I don't need anything in my yogurt. I love the yogurt/banana/walnut/honey combo. A greek classic. One thing I do check with yogurt is that it has no gelatine (yuck) and around 2%. I don't do non-fat either.

(Oops, I just saw that this is in the South Beach section. I don't know what South Beach diet entails. Sorry! Newbie mistake.)

Last edited by josey; 02-01-2011 at 03:44 PM.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 234.5/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphmitch View Post
I love microwaving a chopped up apple until very soft, adding Splenda, cinnamon and about 1/2 cup FF plain Greek yogurt. It's yummy and filling.
Wow, sounds yummy. I don't use sweetners either. I really love the light and fit yogurt. Yes, I get sweet cravings in the morning. I like to have toast with just a little peanut butter and sliced bananas. I think the multigrain Cheerios help too. They have a little sweetness to them.
CurryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #8  
Reluctant Adult

I make my own yogurt... it's stupid-easy, saves a lot of money and recycling. And of course I can control EXACTLY what goes into it and what texture I like (thick and creamy). It's just milk with a live bacteria culture. I make mine from 1% milk.

I prefer it plain, mixed with a diced apple and cinnamon. The nuts are a great idea! However, I try to keep nuts as a separate snack for the 3:30-ishs. Alternatively, you can add a handful of blueberries or other kind of berry, a spoonful of jam, honey, vanilla or any fresh fruit.

Good luck with the no eggs!
raebeaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #9  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostangel05 View Post
Wow, sounds yummy. I don't use sweetners either. I really love the light and fit yogurt. Yes, I get sweet cravings in the morning. I like to have toast with just a little peanut butter and sliced bananas. I think the multigrain Cheerios help too. They have a little sweetness to them.
The Light & Fit does have Splenda in it. Also the Multigrain Cheerios has sugar as the 3rd ingredient in it. Also lots of corn (first ingredient), corn starch, brown sugar syrup. Not a beachy choice. I think the regular Cheerios are better choice. Here's a thread about cereals on SB:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/2862471-post85.html
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #10  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I concur with the greek yogurt suggestion. just regular yogurt + fruit doesn't hold me very long and i am ravenous by lunchtime. greek yogurt has more protein and is thicker, which to me, makes it seem more substantial.

There are a lot of other ideas in the the phase 1 breakfast thread for non-egg breakfasts. check it out.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 246/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey124 View Post
No splenda for me! I don't do sweeteners. I use honey, maple syrup or brown sugar. With most fruit I don't need anything in my yogurt. I love the yogurt/banana/walnut/honey combo. A greek classic. One thing I do check with yogurt is that it has no gelatine (yuck) and around 2%. I don't do non-fat either.

(Oops, I just saw that this is in the South Beach section. I don't know what South Beach diet entails. Sorry! Newbie mistake.)

I don't like artificial sweeteners either, but I've found Agave Nectar is a pretty tasty alternative, is natural, and is acceptable on SB (P2+) The light tastes more sugary, and the amber tastes more like honey.. I just noticed that they sell it at Wal-Mart too, which is nice, because last time I bought it a couple years ago, I could only get it at the local tienda..
Mum2Monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #12  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Just a reminder that this is the South Beach forum and honey, added sugar and corn are not on plan. It's easy to end up in the wrong forum but I want to make sure none of the new Beachers are confused

ETA - I had leftover Navy Bean & Barley soup for breakfast today

Last edited by CyndiM; 02-01-2011 at 05:07 PM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #13  
Suck it up, buttercup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mum2Monkeys View Post
I don't like artificial sweeteners either, but I've found Agave Nectar is a pretty tasty alternative, is natural, and is acceptable on SB (P2+) The light tastes more sugary, and the amber tastes more like honey.. I just noticed that they sell it at Wal-Mart too, which is nice, because last time I bought it a couple years ago, I could only get it at the local tienda..
I have never heard of agave nectar. I will try to find it. Thanks!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #14  
Suck it up, buttercup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiM View Post
Just a reminder that this is the South Beach forum and honey, added sugar and corn are not on plan. It's easy to end up in the wrong forum but I want to make sure none of the new Beachers are confused

ETA - I had leftover Navy Bean & Barley soup for breakfast today
Sorry!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:19 AM   #15  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Hey Josey..nice to see a Canadian in here..i felt like i was the only one for the longest time...I like to eat 1/2 cup yougurt with a flaxseed south beach muffin. I find the two fills me up plenty till lunch.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote